CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
sanford
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
El Cid Ranger
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Order 66
Backup QB competitio (2691)
2014 Preseason USA T (1282)
Ranking the SEC Fema (801)
Anyone heard anythin (765)
Future Non-Conferenc (637)
Spurrier on the cove (421)
What Would You Do? (397)
Ranking the SEC scho (314)
Kewl video (234)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (230)
Anyone heard anything abo
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
Re-Airing South Carolina
Elcid99
Kewl video
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Hello Gamecocks!
An Aggies View of the Mat
Backup QB competition
2015 - Albert Huggins

Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #381
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 675600
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad
Default Re: ***2014 Carolina Panthers offseason/draft/season thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I love Smith but a 35 year old WR making 7 million for less than 800 receiving yards? and everyone seems to think the panthers cant sign or draft a guy to get 750 yards and 4 td's?
He's going to get $3 million of that if they cut him. So you're really only looking at $4 million for next year to keep him.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 PM   #382
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Something tells me Capt might be gone. The Vikes would give him the long term deal we should have last season.
Captain is gone we are not going to get into a bidding war for him, he is going to ask for top CB money when he really is a nickelback.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #383
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material

Looks like Smitty will be cut as early as today. And Nicks is Gettlemen's top target.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #384
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his clawspaynemd2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
It's not like the team is saving all that $ by cutting him. Sounds like the team saves 1 or 2 million. This is not a financial move.
I know they won't save much on the cap this year, but I read that cutting him this year would save $5 million next year so it certainly has financial impact if that's the case. Would you keep smith this year if it meant not being able to resign Cam or Luke next year? I wouldn't they are the faces of the franchise now
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #385
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Anthony Collins is considering Cat, Bucs, and Bengals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nthers-offers/

Could be a good get.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #386
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Roman Harper visited.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/...gency-nfl.html

He sucks. We toasted the saints when Vacaro went out and Harper replaced him.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #387
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

SIAP

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-a-distraction

Quote:
Report: Panthers GM views WR Steve Smith as a distraction

Sources told Person that Gettleman views Smith as a distraction, and the GM is ready to turn the locker room over to young leaders like Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly. Moreover, Person added, "Smith's fiery personality has made him a fan favorite, but can grate on teammates and coaches."

Smith also seems like he has no problem holding a grudge. Which means that he could look to play for a team that faces the Panthers next season -- the Ravens and Chargers do, and they're both reasonable landing spots for Smith.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #388
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I know they won't save much on the cap this year, but I read that cutting him this year would save $5 million next year so it certainly has financial impact if that's the case. Would you keep smith this year if it meant not being able to resign Cam or Luke next year? I wouldn't they are the faces of the franchise now
What's the Cap saving if they kept this year and cut next year?

Plus the cap is going to be 140 next year and I think we may be able to cut Deangelo.

Also the team might extend Cam on the 1 yr team option.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #389
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I'd hate to lose Captain too, but it looks to be inevitable. I'm glad we drafted him and he has been a great Panther throughout his career.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #390
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
Roman Harper visited.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/...gency-nfl.html

He sucks. We toasted the saints when Vacaro went out and Harper replaced him.
Plus he's an ass. Really dislike even bringing this guy in for an interview.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #391
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Been saying that for a while and a few on here wanted to argue about it...this wasn't about money. Gettlemen just didn't like Smitty. Cam didn't either. It's evident if you watch them on the field.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #392
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I wonder why Godfrey still has a spot on the roster.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #393
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Hixon is visiting Bears. Told report he thinks he will sign there.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #394
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
Hixon is visiting Bears. Told report he thinks he will sign there.
No big loss. Had 7 catches all season....or about $170,000 per catch. Terrible get by Gettlemen.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #395
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
No big loss. Had 7 catches all season....or about $170,000 per catch. Terrible get by Gettlemen.

IDC if he goes either.

Some reports are surfacing that LaFell mat return to the Panthers.

Nicks, Good Draft Pick, and LaFell as starting 3 isn't too bad as long as DG gets that draft pick right.

Nicks' deal rumor is 1 yr. 4.5 million.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #396
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
IDK if he goes either.

Some reports are surfacing that LaFell mat return to the Panthers.

Nicks, Good Draft Pick, and LaFell as starting 3 isn't too bad as long as DG gets that draft pick right.

Nicks' deal rumor is 1 yr. 4.5 million.
Good info. I doubt the market for LaFell is that great, although I read the Pats and Broncos are still interested. It wouldn't surprise me if Smitty landed in Denver.

I think $4.5 million for Nicks is too much. Dude has been injured and had a disappointing season last year. Would make more sense (and be cheaper) to keep Smith for one year. But Hicks was the plan for Gettlemen all along. Cut Smith and bring in his guy. The Gaint's front office and fans couldn't get rid of Nicks quick enough and that should tell us something.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #397
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Good info. I doubt the market for LaFell is that great, although I read the Pats and Broncos are still interested. It wouldn't surprise me if Smitty landed in Denver.

I think $4.5 million for Nicks is too much. Dude has been injured and had a disappointing season last year. Would make more sense (and be cheaper) to keep Smith for one year. But Hicks was the plan for Gettlemen all along. Cut Smith and bring in his guy.
I'm worried about the injury too. We brought in Hixon coming off of an injury and he was never right and we got little use out of him except for the Siants game. If Nicks is the guys, he cannot be a bust or else the season is eff'd.

I'd like to see Smitty with NE or Denver but it sounds like Baltimore is the likely landing spot and that a deal may already be in place. One of the Raven's "inside" guys said expect things to move quickly when Smith is released. Make sense if you think about it since Baltimore is so close and Angie is expecting this summer.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #398
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
I'd like to see Smitty with NE or Denver but it sounds like Baltimore is the likely landing spot and that a deal may already be in place. One of the Raven's "inside" guys said expect things to move quickly when Smith is released. Make sense if you think about it since Baltimore is so close and Angie is expecting this summer.
Haven't heard about Baltimore. I think he's going to be in high demand once he's released. Rumor is the Panthers are scared he may end up in Tampa or elsewhere in the division, which is why they are dragging their feet in releasing him...hoping certain teams don't have money left to sign him.

I'd be willing to bet wherever he goes, he'll put up even better numbers than last season.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #399
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Haven't heard about Baltimore. I think he's going to be in high demand once he's released. Rumor is the Panthers are scared he may end up in Tampa or elsewhere in the division, which is why they are dragging their feet in releasing him...hoping certain teams don't have money left to sign him.

I'd be willing to bet wherever he goes, he'll put up even better numbers than last season.
Sounds like if he lands in NFC South that Tampa would be the place. NO and ATL will not have the $.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #400
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

Anthony Collins to the Bucs.

God d#mnit DG. WTF are you doing? Gonna take the Bucs sloppy 2nds and get Penn?