CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
roosterdude21
Badazcock
4gamecockfb
Team Garcia
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (26967)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2042)
Simple "yes&quo (1437)
Phil Steele just pre (1171)
Eat Crow (738)
Garcia: Change the R (724)
TeMarcus Blanton (688)
We actually didnt lo (628)
Extremely Proud (554)
what I think ab ward (486)
I want people to explain
We actually didnt lose
End of the first half....
2016 - Avery McCall
Nick Marshall
Defense question
what I think ab ward
We would be 7-1 with just
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Extremely Proud

Old 03-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default The Console Market Is In Crisis

I have this cool little gaming system called a PC. Has a unique controller called "Keyboard & Mouse."

The Console Market Is In Crisis

A few days ago Sony announced it has now sold a total of 6 million PlayStation 4 consoles. Microsoft’s next-gen equivalent, the Xbox One, has likely racked up sales of around 4 million so far. Both flagship consoles were released around the same time in late November last year, in time for the 2013 holiday season. And both companies have been shouting loudly about who’s beating whom for cumulative console and games sales globally and in key markets like the U.S.

On the cumulative console sales score at least, Sony’s PS4 appears to be edging out the Xbone, for now.

The thing is neither of these new generation console flagships is selling very well when compared with previous generations of flagship consoles. The console market appears to be shrinking significantly — and that’s evidently having a knock-on impact on games studios and game development. The big games studios don’t exclusively develop for a single platform, after all, so the health of the entire market is key to keeping games studios in business.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/09/con...6pLid%3D452125

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good

Male

CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Console Market Is In Crisis

That is a horrible article.

The first mistake is bad comparisons. The 360 had been out for a full year and a few months in January 2007. Also, it's killer app (Gears of War) was already on store shelves and pushing sales.

If you compare the xbox one to the 360 for their first two quarters of availability (Ending March 31 for both), the xbox one will have done AT LEAST as well as the 360 and has a chance to be ahead by at least one million units.

The playstation comparison is more appropriate but as noted in the article. The playstation is actually ahead of it's January 2007 sales numbers and is WAY ahead of the PS3 in terms of the first 2 quarters of availablility. The PS3 had sold 3.6 million units as of March 31 2007 while the PS4 has already sold almost 1 million more units as of January 1st and is expected to end the quarter at 6 million units sold. (Last update was 5.3 million sold in february)

The second mistake is lumping handhelds in with Home consoles. Clearly handhelds are in competition with phones but major home consoles are doing fine with the exception being the Wii U.

The Wii U is clearly a flop but not because gamers did not want a new machine, but precisely because gamers DID want a NEW console and Nintendo once again chose to trot out some over priced, previous generation technology instead of creating something with next gen specs.

The only thing that can be determined from the current sales figures is that consumers are not interested in buying a Wii U. They are buying the PS4 and Xbox One at an increased rate.

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

IMO they just cost too much. Most people don't have 500 bucks lying around. Plus $60 a pop (or whatever they cost now) for games and then you need things like X-box live, extra controllers etc. You are looking at $800 bucks just to get started.

Obviously hard core games will buy them. But your average family does not have that kind of cash lying around.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

I'll just leave this here.

Name:  PC-Master-Race-500x281.png
Views: 434
Size:  94.4 KB

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Not surprising. Me and a few friends that I've spoken with are just waiting for the price drops.

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
IMO they just cost too much. Most people don't have 500 bucks lying around. Plus $60 a pop (or whatever they cost now) for games and then you need things like X-box live, extra controllers etc. You are looking at $800 bucks just to get started.

Obviously hard core games will buy them. But your average family does not have that kind of cash lying around.
Which is why it surprises me that the Wii U's not doing any better. This price issue is why I went ahead and picked up the Wii U. Admittedly, I never had a Wii, so there's a decent back catalog for me to work with, but there are some great games out for this console and you don't have to drop $500 to get started. I'll end up picking up one of the other systems when the prices drop dramatically, but for now I'm enjoying the Wii U and there are still a lot of great PS3 games that I've never played that I can go and pick up much cheaper now.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

PC is far suprerior IMO. Just wish my friends would realize that so I wouldn't have to keep buying consoles/games to play with them.

USCremedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCremedy View Post
PC is far suprerior IMO. Just wish my friends would realize that so I wouldn't have to keep buying consoles/games to play with them.
Ditto, I wish microsoft would bring back letting xbox users play against pc gamers. It was so much fun destroying people using a controller.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
Ditto, I wish microsoft would bring back letting xbox users play against pc gamers. It was so much fun destroying people using a controller.
Didn't they only try to do that once with Shadowrun?

PC beats consoles, hands down. Only problem is that not all publishers agree, therefore we lost games like Madden on the PC (I think 2008 was the last PC version). I will admit that the only reason I bought a 360 was because of NCAA Football.

I think that one day (sooner rather than later, I hope) we get back to more game parity on the PC, especially with sports games, but there are tons of other titles that will continue to keep the PC at the top of the gaming mountain (news flash to console fanbois - the PC has always been on top and far superior as a gaming platform).
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post
Thats even funnier when you consider that the consoles have built-in aim assist that are not allowed in multiplayer FPS PC games. I have a buddy that owns on the 360 but when he jumps to the PC he sucks BAD lol.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInGA View Post
Didn't they only try to do that once with Shadowrun?

PC beats consoles, hands down. Only problem is that not all publishers agree, therefore we lost games like Madden on the PC (I think 2008 was the last PC version). I will admit that the only reason I bought a 360 was because of NCAA Football.

I think that one day (sooner rather than later, I hope) we get back to more game parity on the PC, especially with sports games, but there are tons of other titles that will continue to keep the PC at the top of the gaming mountain (news flash to console fanbois - the PC has always been on top and far superior as a gaming platform).
Ya they first rolled it out when the brought halo 2 to the PC it was a massacre

Old 03-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Benefits of PC outweigh consoles outstandingly. Especially the Xbox

You don't have to pay to be able to browse the web, watch YouTube, watch Netflix, ect on a PC. I think it's ridiculous that you have to pay for Xbox gold just to watch Netflix or Youtube on the console, because you already pay for Netflix and for your Internet service. Also, if you have a good PC, you can play games at 60-70 FPS. I think consoles run at like 30.

I decided to save up and get a good PC instead of the XBone/PS4. Very good decision IMO. Now I only use my 360 to play NCAAFB/Madden (Which I really wish were on the PC)
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
Thats even funnier when you consider that the consoles have built-in aim assist that are not allowed in multiplayer FPS PC games. I have a buddy that owns on the 360 but when he jumps to the PC he sucks BAD lol.
Aiming with a mouse and keyboard is much different. On a console you get used to pushing the stick till you get to where you want to aim. If you use that mentality on a PC you push past where you want to aim every time. Takes a while to get used to the transition.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
diehardgamecock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 101109992
diehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPitdiehardgamecock rules the CockPit

lol @ this thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

diehardgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Aiming with a mouse and keyboard is much different. On a console you get used to pushing the stick till you get to where you want to aim. If you use that mentality on a PC you push past where you want to aim every time. Takes a while to get used to the transition.
They way I think about it is the crosshairs are just a mouse pointer and I point and click whatever I want to select/hit. Thats what I try and tell him.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #16
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

PC is obviously a more powerful system and a mouse is more precise than a joystick. I still dislike playing on it compared to consoles.

Perhaps some of you PC guys know workarounds for these issues, but the reasons I enjoy consoles over PC, even as an inferior piece of tech:
  • I can play on my TV instead of a computer screen
  • I can play sitting back in my favorite chair or on the sofa instead of sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse
  • I don't have to worry about keeping my PC updated with hardware upgrades to keep up with ever-increasing demands from PC game software
  • I dislike keyboard / mouse control systems for PC games (yes, I know you can sometimes use a gamepad, but not for all PC games and you're at a MASSIVE disadvantage if you're playing multiplayer)
  • COUCH CO-OP. Simply impossible with PCs. Yeah, it's a dying feature even in console gaming, but sitting around the TV together playing games with my friends remains my favorite way to game (and I do not care to set up a LAN party just to be able to do that).
  • To the extent I try to use the same PC to do all my tasks and game, I would have to worry about not slowing down the PC's performance for work taks and browsing due to gaming software requirements. Yeah, I know this is managable, but I am not all that good with computers so I am not one who can really manage the upkeep by myself.

So for you guys extolling the virtues of PC gaming, yes, we know it's a stronger piece of tech and it has its advantages. But can you just quit singing the same tired tune criticizing console gaming already? There are plenty of legitimate reasons lots of people still prefer it.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #17
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good

Male

CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material

The PS4 hit 6 million units on March 2, further blowing this article out of the water. This was some seriously lazy journalism.

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
Ole Gregg
make an assessment

Male

CockyCash: 7567085
Ole Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot materialOle Gregg is USC mascot material

Shall We Play A Game?

I like "Global Thermonuclear War"
w
\.
" Are you playing your love games with me? "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxaP19pY1FI
Ole Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
PC is obviously a more powerful system and a mouse is more precise than a joystick. I still dislike playing on it compared to consoles.

Perhaps some of you PC guys know workarounds for these issues, but the reasons I enjoy consoles over PC, even as an inferior piece of tech:
  • I can play on my TV instead of a computer screen
  • I can play sitting back in my favorite chair or on the sofa instead of sitting at a desk with a keyboard and mouse
  • I don't have to worry about keeping my PC updated with hardware upgrades to keep up with ever-increasing demands from PC game software
  • I dislike keyboard / mouse control systems for PC games (yes, I know you can sometimes use a gamepad, but not for all PC games and you're at a MASSIVE disadvantage if you're playing multiplayer)
  • COUCH CO-OP. Simply impossible with PCs. Yeah, it's a dying feature even in console gaming, but sitting around the TV together playing games with my friends remains my favorite way to game (and I do not care to set up a LAN party just to be able to do that).
  • To the extent I try to use the same PC to do all my tasks and game, I would have to worry about not slowing down the PC's performance for work taks and browsing due to gaming software requirements. Yeah, I know this is managable, but I am not all that good with computers so I am not one who can really manage the upkeep by myself.

So for you guys extolling the virtues of PC gaming, yes, we know it's a stronger piece of tech and it has its advantages. But can you just quit singing the same tired tune criticizing console gaming already? There are plenty of legitimate reasons lots of people still prefer it.
You could always plug your PC into your TV. That would solve a lot of your problems right there.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

I want and have wanted to for awhile to build an awesome gaming PC. Came close to buying all the parts on newegg but I wasn't comfortable spending that kind of money and potentially screwing something up during the build. I've never built a computer and was going to go off youtube vids and internet advice. Going to Vegas in August now so I'll be spending a lot of money there... it's been shelved.

Tired of consoles and the PS4 and XBone do not appeal to me at all even though I own a PS3 and 360 right now. My best friends all play CS: GO on PC and I love that game it just sucks on 360. I love CS from the original days when I was in 6th grade... I just want to play with them but so much money...

SECgamecock453 is online now   Reply With Quote