CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GSC2013
StormOfTalons
GarnetBlack&Blue
cockthehammer
Kyle76
ra742002
ccured
The Yancey
Kaka
Blackland
Gamecock football Lo (2239)
Mike Davis "dou (2082)
The Demise of the 3- (1405)
Gamecocks D staff re (1364)
Pirate Depth Chart (1002)
Past SEC Champions w (970)
who thinks we need a (960)
Reginald Bowens (692)
East Carolina Predic (690)
Why didn't Wes Green (658)
MLS almost ready for play
Did we ever go after Kenn
The Demise of the 3-4
Carolina opens -15.5
Gamecocks claimed and re-
What would be your defini
Tanner McEvoy should've s
Mike Davis "doubtful
Past SEC Champions who ha
East Carolina Prediction

Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material
Default Re: As frustrating as this basketball season has been we did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonick View Post
I'm a light switch kinda guy and not a dimmer switch one, I want it now, however I can be (gulp) a realist and not expect miracles next year or even the year after.., but any longer than that and I won't be the only one who will wonder when or if under Martin..now I have no axe to grind and I'm sure he's a good coach..and I hope he even becomes a better person...but in this day and time, if you are given an opportunity to produce and don't your tenure is gonna be in jeopardy..I hope we get the talent and I hope his coaching ability shines in the coming years..We at Carolina deserve a winner in all sports, but I'm not the least bit prejudicial, don't you know.

I want it to be faster too. As down as we are, 1 game improvement is great, for now. I dang sure don't want 1 game improvement each year cause that would take 6 more years to get 11 SEC wins. Hopefully we can win 7 SEC games next year and push .500 the next. Basketball is just a different animal. One player can turn it around like that! Martin needs to find that one special player or players he can make great. Hopefully it's Woods or somebody!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
Spur20001
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spur20001 has feathers coming inSpur20001 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I said in an earlier thread...show me where we are better...well, this shows it. We faced tougher competition...had a better record...and survived two controversial midseason distractions with the team. I don't think we could have done that 2 years ago. That said....on to the tournament and then to next season. I can take an improvement for year to year and be happy.
I believe in an earlier thread you questioned Martin as being the man for the job?
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #23
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

The team definitely improved this season. I wouldn't listen to anyone who says they didn't. They were in a lot more games this season and had chances to win a bunch of them.

-The A&M game we blew on the road
-Both Ole Miss games
-The LSU game

And so on. It's just a young team that doesn't quite know how to close out every game yet, but they're getting there. The effort is there, but we're going to need more scoring down low, perimeter shooting, and smarter play all around.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #24
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
You're assuming we don't win the SEC and make the dance.
I am...but I don't think that is realistic at this point....Then again I didn't have those ambitions from the start of the season. We accomplished what we needed so I am happy with that. We take steps and move on.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #25
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
I believe in an earlier thread you questioned Martin as being the man for the job?
I still question that until I see what happens next season. I changed a lot of things in my life. The only constant in life is change. If Martin can change some of his in your face, profanity laced rants then I could be on board with him. If he reverts back then...no...I trust he has but it still remains to be seen. I am a Gamecock first and foremost...I was not a Horn fan, a Brad Scott fan, a Sparky fan, a Holtz fan but they all had my loyalty because I am a Gamecock. They had that for that reason only. I am not a Jimbo Fisher fan...but if he coached the Gamecocks...well he's my coach if that happens and I am a fan only because he coaches my team. Spurrier at Florida...hated him...Spurrier here...love him...Brad Scott..loved him here...at Clemsux I hated him..and on and on...
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #26
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

A win tonight and that's 6 SEC wins. Looking back, I think this is what the reality of this team should have been. I think a lot of us got caught up in the "change" hype of new, better players. The players are new and better than the last few years but young. If we could win tonight and beat Arkansas, I would classify this as an overall good year considering where we were. 7 SEC wins with at least 4 games we probably should have won? I would classify that as improvement and hope for better seasons to come.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #27
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

I'm curious to see how the players react to CFM back on the bench tonight. They could come out a little tight, trying too hard or they may come out flying around and leaving it all out there on the floor type of effort. These two gaurds have handled us. Will effort alone make the difference???
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #28
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2four2Gamecock View Post
I'm curious to see how the players react to CFM back on the bench tonight. They could come out a little tight, trying too hard or they may come out flying around and leaving it all out there on the floor type of effort. These two gaurds have handled us. Will effort alone make the difference???
Me too. This season isn't over yet.

Today we start the third season of the year. The SEC Tourney. Throw our record out the window and let's see what this team can accomplish with the experience they have gained in the last four months.

(However, we have won four out of the last eight games...)
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #29
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

I don't think you can compare this year's team to last. Last year was a write off, I think the clock on Martin truly started this year.

This years team did get better through the year, which hasn't been the case for a long time, and for the majority didn't look as lost offensively as we have in the past. You can't coach talent, so some of the set backs this year simply came from players not being able to make baskets.

I'm a realist but the time on a coach should be 4-5 years before we can really assess progress.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #30
Spur20001
4-Star

Male

Spur20001 has feathers coming inSpur20001 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I still question that until I see what happens next season. I changed a lot of things in my life. The only constant in life is change. If Martin can change some of his in your face, profanity laced rants then I could be on board with him. If he reverts back then...no...I trust he has but it still remains to be seen. I am a Gamecock first and foremost...I was not a Horn fan, a Brad Scott fan, a Sparky fan, a Holtz fan but they all had my loyalty because I am a Gamecock. They had that for that reason only. I am not a Jimbo Fisher fan...but if he coached the Gamecocks...well he's my coach if that happens and I am a fan only because he coaches my team. Spurrier at Florida...hated him...Spurrier here...love him...Brad Scott..loved him here...at Clemsux I hated him..and on and on...
Well said. I feel much the same way you do.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #31
Gallo Pazzesco
Walk On

Male

Gallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
You're assuming we don't win the SEC and make the dance.
I like your style.
Gallo Pazzesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #32
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

it's a huge improvement, because we did it with seven freshmen and five sophomores. big props to this program, for heading in the right direction. and for the guts of fm, for doing what had to be done; put our program lightyears ahead of where it would have been.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 AM   #33
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Regardless of what many say, Frank Martin is a class act, and you know what, we just beat two teams in the SEC Tourney, nothing but up from here Gamecocks.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #34
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

A lot of people complained about our loss to Manhattan in November, but I just noticed they won their conference tournament and will be in the NCAAT.

Last edited by Cockhornleghorn; 03-15-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Cockhornleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #35
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Our men played some heart filled basketball down the stretch, may not have been perfect ball but they played their tails off. It has been a long time since I have felt this good about the direction of the men's program.