CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
A. Pilgrim
ReadR00ster
thekob
jrussjr
B-G
l^l^lBGCock
NineInchSpurs
Lonnie
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
Davis dinged up agai (2773)
Winston (1844)
New Photos by Travis (1641)
For the love of God! (1306)
Quarles is a Colt! (1011)
Hatin' Ass Spurrier (762)
Waldrop injured (714)
Wake Forest recruiti (713)
The Most Controversi (583)
CBS Sports Meathead (553)
Davis dinged up again?
Tony Stewart kills Kevin
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
Christian Walker called u
Winston
2014-15 Premier League se
New Photos by Travis Bell
SOS: No QB controversy
For the love of God! -- P
Terrible Officiating.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #21
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly
Default Re: CBI hopes for Gamecocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
From what I understand, all teams in the tournament must be willing to host. The teams with the highest "bids" actually do get to host. This may or may not be true, that just came from talking with fans of a low-major conference that had their school in the tournament.

From a financial standpoint, it's not a good tournament to be in. I think most teams wind up in the red and the ones that make any money at all have to have sell outs. That is the aspect that Tanner should be looking at the most.
That actually sounds more realistic to me. I knew there was a reason I took anything from wikipedia with a grain of salt.

As far as the financial aspect, it's a huge part of the decision process, but I think they should be looking long-term as well. If they truly think it will help the program move forward more quickly, then they should do it.

Ultimately, I wouldn't mind seeing the guys play some more this season, but it's not something that's going to upset me if it doesn't happen.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
wildcock73
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
wildcock73 has hatched from the shell

Upstate accepted a bid to Cbi not CIT right?
wildcock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #23
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
From what I understand, all teams in the tournament must be willing to host. The teams with the highest "bids" actually do get to host. This may or may not be true, that just came from talking with fans of a low-major conference that had their school in the tournament.

From a financial standpoint, it's not a good tournament to be in. I think most teams wind up in the red and the ones that make any money at all have to have sell outs. That is the aspect that Tanner should be looking at the most.
Sometimes the payoff is for the future - more practice and more games = more experience for next season and more ticket sales next year and maybe an NCAA bid. It's not like we're hurting for money.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Yes, Upstate got a bid and a first round home game, two years in a row. I didn't know if the CiT was a midmajor only tourney. I still hope for a CBI invite given how the team played going down the stretch.
We should get a CBI invite. Beat Va Tech and our Gamecock brothers although that's not saying much this year but our Gamecocks did finish strong.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #25
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcock73 View Post
Upstate accepted a bid to Cbi not CIT right?
CollegeInsider.com tourney, CIT
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
wildcock73
Walk On

Male

wildcock73 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
CollegeInsider.com tourney, CIT
10-4
wildcock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #27
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
We should get a CBI invite. Beat Va Tech and our Gamecock brothers although that's not saying much this year but our Gamecocks did finish strong.
We have as many wins against power conferences as Wichita State and scheduled twice as many games against power conferences than did Wichita State did....
Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Would love to play some more just so Brenton Williams could play in a Gamecock uniform some more.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #29
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9980800
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
We have as many wins against power conferences as Wichita State and scheduled twice as many games against power conferences than did Wichita State did....
I know you're in no way shape or form comparing upstate to an undefeated 1 seed in the NCAA tourny.
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #30
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SCFanInPAUntilNow View Post
I know you're in no way shape or form comparing upstate to an undefeated 1 seed in the NCAA tourny.
Wichita State just became the Boise State of college hoops, Tennessee is their best win this season. Their body of work doesn't warrant a 1 seed, all I am saying at least Upstate will go schedule power conferences more so than 1 who will schedule a cupcake OOC. Hopefull WSU gets the boot early.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #31
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

Wichita State would smoke USC Upstate.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #32
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

WSU made the Final 4 last year and from what I gathered brought back most of their team. Why people don't think they are legit is beyond me. Now, that bracket they got is brutal, but they are a darn good basketball team.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 PM   #33
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

^I'm not saying they wouldn't smoke us I am just saying we actually scheduled a tougher OOC than them. Last years performance in the Dance has no bearing on what happened this season, using that mentality FGCU should be in the Dance this year because they danced their way to the Sweet 16 last year. WSU to me going on the resume they do not warrant a 1 seed, a bona fide 2 yes, a
Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #34
jcausc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 348
jcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spursjcausc has earned his spurs

when do they announce the teams.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #35
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Sometimes the payoff is for the future - more practice and more games = more experience for next season and more ticket sales next year and maybe an NCAA bid. It's not like we're hurting for money.
For the team, yeah, I agree with you. I've been on record stating that I would like them to play more games. The more I think about it though, I don't want to get a bid if it's to the detriment of the athletic department as a whole. If Tanner can justify taking a hit for the tournament, then by all means let's go if they offer us a bid.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #36
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
For the team, yeah, I agree with you. I've been on record stating that I would like them to play more games. The more I think about it though, I don't want to get a bid if it's to the detriment of the athletic department as a whole. If Tanner can justify taking a hit for the tournament, then by all means let's go if they offer us a bid.
Having a strong MBB program is good for the department as a whole, even if we'd lose a little bit of money by playing in the CBI. Getting this young team more playing and practice time would be awesome, and who knows, we might win the darn thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #37
Taylorspur
Recruit

Taylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spursTaylorspur has earned his spurs

I'm sorry guys, any sub .500 team does not belong in any post season tournament. It was a good finish and gives something for them to build on, but a 20 loss team need not play any more this year.
Taylorspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #38
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorspur View Post
I'm sorry guys, any sub .500 team does not belong in any post season tournament. It was a good finish and gives something for them to build on, but a 20 loss team need not play any more this year.
Go tell that to Brenton. Why do they not belong to a tournament that is designed for sub .500 teams? More games can only help this team build for the future.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #39
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Oh well, season is over. A&M is in there though, so apparently no unwritten rule about SEC teams.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:50 PM   #40
gamecockboy89
4-Star

Male

gamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his combgamecockboy89 is developing his comb

I guess the extra play would be good for a young team, but I honestly feel like we should just call it a season and focus efforts on some recruiting.

Not sure if dragging out the season would truly be a benefit, but that's why Tanner and the coaching staff are paid for these type of decisions and not us.
gamecockboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote