CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
PageUSC
KaneisAble
doubledribble
pitchcock
GarnetSwarm1990
roosterdude21
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
MountainCock
thumpin big
Busta out indefinite (2092)
SOS says his next st (1772)
Our Road Upset Wins (1573)
CBSSports SEC predic (868)
Our Defense? (837)
No easy road for our (679)
University of Buffal (563)
Michael Sams done in (360)
SEC Football Legend: (330)
Party like it's 1903 (327)
Why is everyone anticipat
Anyone Making The Trip?
CFN prediction for auburn
2016 Thon Marker
Our Defense?
Bama @ Tennessee
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Roll call for Auburn
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom

Old 03-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #601
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Re: ***2014 Carolina Panthers offseason/draft/season thread***

Britt left NE without signing. Headed to DC for a visit.

Schefter reports that Cats are interested
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #602
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Panthers must think they're the Pats with trying to use no name WRs. That alone wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the holes in their OL. Bad management almost annually from that organization.
That's a good line, there, bud. I would say:
(1) The Pats are highly resistant to giving out long-term contracts. They'll cut anybody, short of Brady. A player is lucky to get a 2nd contract with them, and their organization doesn't get emotionally attached to players.

(2) Belicik and his staff are supreme evaluators of talent, and they always know where to get new guys (Packers are similar). Look at all the key injuries/events NE had this year - Hernandez, Wilfork, lost Welker than Amendola was out a good part of the year, friggin' Gronk's injuries. They just kept bringing guys in, and made the AFC champeenship. They win.

So, if Gettleman is making some hard decisions to move us toward that model, I'm good with it. But only time will tell.
GoldenSpur7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #603
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
If he hadn't beaten us twice, including by six thousand points in Atlanta, there wouldn't be nearly the same attitude about Newton on this board.
exactly.....our team should have played better...not Cams fault we couldnt stop him
Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #604
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
That article is completely missing the point. It's suggesting that Gettleman decided that Smith was either done, or extremely close to done being productive. the truth is, I think Smith was due to cost something like... 7 million dollars this up-coming season. Which Gettleman didnt think he was worth.

Compare that to the Baltimore Ravens, who have him on a 3 year deal for something like 11.5 million. So yeah. The market agreed. Smith wasnt worth keeping at 7 million a year.

It was strictly a business arrangement. Not a gaffe.
you can say this till you are blue in the face but that guy will never listen
Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #605
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Are you ****ing serious? We are going to bring in a guy who activetly participated in trying to collect bounties on both Smitty and Cam. **** Gettleman. Hopefully someone in that locker room tries to end his damned career, Big Cat should have stopped this move, that locker room is not going to be very happy to say the least.
the Saints are the only ones who have been caught doing this....."pay for play" schemes have been in the NFL for a long time now

players know what was up down there

also i thinks it funny that ppl get this upset over something they have no say in
Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #606
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
SMDH... And Gettelman thought Smith wasn't good for the locker room? Yeah let's bring in a guy from a rival team that tried to hurt our players. ****ing genius. I miss Smith now more than ever.. He wouldn't have stood for this shit.
didnt the GM just show that players dont run the team and GMs do?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #607
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Panthers did not offer safety Darian Stewart.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #608
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
the Saints are the only ones who have been caught doing this....."pay for play" schemes have been in the NFL for a long time now

players know what was up down there

also i thinks it funny that ppl get this upset over something they have no say in
Except the NFL did everything in it's power to make sure the Taints weren't going to be moved after Katrina including financial help in rebuilding, and how do the Taints repay the NFL they have a massive bounty system that targeted every major star on each team they played. Not to mention Breesus saying the bounties didn't happen even after overwhelming evidence to the contray. **** the Saints, Brees, and Payton.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #609
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
IMO, as of now, our draft picks/choices will probably look similar to this:

1. WR (Brandon Cooks/Kelvin Benjamin/Jordan Matthews)
Brandin*, and a lot of other mocks I've seen have us taking him first. I've seen some with Odell Beckham, too, but I'm lukewarm on that one.

Like I said earlier in the thread, Matthews had a pretty good combine, running a 4.46. I'd be ok with any of these guys, at #1.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #610
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #611
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
Brandin*, and a lot of other mocks I've seen have us taking him first. I've seen some with Odell Beckham, too, but I'm lukewarm on that one.

Like I said earlier in the thread, Matthews had a pretty good combine, running a 4.46. I'd be ok with any of these guys, at #1.
Yeah, I'm not sold on Beckham.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #612
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
didnt the GM just show that players dont run the team and GMs do?
I understand what you're saying, but bringing in a player who actively contributed to bounty gate and made a blatant charge at Steve Smith presumably with intent to hurt him after he caught a TD pass (I think it was in Charlotte) doesn't seem like a good thing to do. Sharper probably has a lot of trust to earn in that locker room.
Cockypantherfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #613
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

I honestly think G-man plans to get his receivers/offensive linemen through this year's draft. You get decent talent for real cheap. Plus, he'll probably grab some scraps after the pre-season (the players that don't make the roster).
Old 03-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #614
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Are you ****ing serious? We are going to bring in a guy who activetly participated in trying to collect bounties on both Smitty and Cam. **** Gettleman. Hopefully someone in that locker room tries to end his damned career, Big Cat should have stopped this move, that locker room is not going to be very happy to say the least.
The fans care more about that than the players do. They did it cause they were offered to get paid for it. It wasnt personal, the locker room will be fine.
robgusc76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #615
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

Quote:
I honestly think G-man plans to get his receivers/offensive linemen through this year's draft. You get decent talent for real cheap. Plus, he'll probably grab some scraps after the pre-season (the players that don't make the roster).
Def looks like we'll be going WR/OT in May, unless something blockbuster goes down between now and then.

Man, I loved Smitty's fiery spirit, but he wasn't producing at the levels we needed. We just flat weren't that good at WR last year. And as far as Lafell goes, he led the teams with drops, and it seemed like every one was in a clutch situation for a first down (unless I missed some where it would have been a TD). I did think that Ginn developed into a legit receiver here, and liked the danger he presented as a return guy, but that's how it goes with one year contracts - some guys prove themselves, some don't. And the ones who do get paid. As bad as things look right now, my gut tells me we'll end up being as good or better at wideout next year, when it's all said and done. But replacing Gross is a much bigger hurdle.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #616
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Probably right. But I don't see any WR in the draft contributing immediately other then Watkins. So we're throwing this season away if this is the plan.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #617
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Probably right. But I don't see any WR in the draft contributing immediately other then Watkins. So we're throwing this season away if this is the plan.

Deepest WR draft in recent memory and you don't see anyone that can contribute immediately other than Watkins?

LOL please, keep trying to convince people you know WTF you're talking about.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #618
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10258
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

We're usually good one year only to tank badly the next year. So, every other year we're "rebuilding" it seems
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #619
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
We're usually good one year only to tank badly the next year. So, every other year we're "rebuilding" it seems
Don't think the Panthers have ever made the playoffs two years in row.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #620
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Any chance we get desean jackson

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote