CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GH
b381l
Spurticus
Mt. Lattimore
petecock
jrussjr
RGHoskins
JerseyBird
Acockolypse Now
bigdog2003
1st practice tonight (1849)
I'm in the Atlanta a (1145)
We don't have a prac (790)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (781)
Could we see 3 QBs o (601)
Donell Stanley injur (541)
weather in columbia (466)
Cockytalk Fall Pract (446)
Overrated and Underr (420)
Copperheads (303)
Auburn Loses Guard for Se
Cockytalk Fall Practice R
Paul George Seriously Inj
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
****Official 2014 Gamecoc
Official SEC Network and
1st practice tonight
Could we see 3 QBs on the
Links to post-practice vi
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #41
fbvolpb89
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
fbvolpb89 has feathers coming infbvolpb89 has feathers coming infbvolpb89 has feathers coming in
Default Re: 8 or 9 Game SEC Schedule to be Decided in May

It's a tricky situation. I think the tradeoff would be playing less quality OOC opponents. Those easy games are important, and other conferences are lucky enough to have some of their easy games be conference matchups. We aren't so lucky. Every game is a grind. The upside is that there would be that much more SEC exposure, more revenue, etc..

Plus personally I'd rather play an SEC matchup than an ECU or UNC. Those matchups are easier, but they gain us almost nothing. We are expected to win going in, so it's really only an opportunity for us to falter rather than raise our stock. With an SEC matchup there is at least an opportunity to prove something.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #42
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I don't want a 9 game SEC schedule because I like being able to play a good out of conference team every year besides Clemson. If we go to a 9 game SEC schedule, then the other 2 games will always be "gimmes".
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbvolpb89 View Post
It's a tricky situation. I think the tradeoff would be playing less quality OOC opponents. Those easy games are important, and other conferences are lucky enough to have some of their easy games be conference matchups. We aren't so lucky. Every game is a grind. The upside is that there would be that much more SEC exposure, more revenue, etc..

Plus personally I'd rather play an SEC matchup than an ECU or UNC. Those matchups are easier, but they gain us almost nothing. We are expected to win going in, so it's really only an opportunity for us to falter rather than raise our stock. With an SEC matchup there is at least an opportunity to prove something.
These posts really get at the heart of this issue to me. Like it or not, Strength of Schedule is going to be a bigger factor in the playoff selection process. The 9-game conference schedule has already happened in other major conferences, so the SEC will follow suit eventually.

I like the 9-game schedule for the reason that it boosts our SOS since we will also play Clemson every year. That's 10 games against playoff eligible programs for Carolina. I also like the idea of playing less FCS teams like Jacksonville State or MTSU. The only FCS teams I like us to play are in-state colleges because it boosts their programs financially, gives them a chance to play the big boys, and a lot of Carolina fans go to those schools (Wofford, Furman, The Citadel, Coastal etc).

The only down side is that it gives us less opportunity to schedule the UCF's and N.Car type teams that are fun games, but generally unnecessary in the big picture. It's unfortunate too, because I would love to see all of CFB only schedule D1 type of programs. I think that would create a little bit more of an NFL-type of parity, since weak programs wouldn't be able to hide behind their 4 "guaranteed" FCS wins.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #43
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Good read, though MTSU is FBS.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #44
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

The SEC will HAVE to go to a 9 game schedule. Other conferences are doing it and so will the SEC if they want to compete in the new era. Conference may still be the strongest but SEC is not going to get the nod when there is a 11-1 SEC team with an 8 game schedule and a 11-1 Pac 12 or Big 12 team who plays 9 games. That's just reality. Everyone needs to be on a level playing field. Regardless of how strong the SEC is, they will be perceived that they are not if they don't go to 9 games.

How that is worked out within the SEC is the big question. For the SEC, it's not a matter of "if" but "how?" This is where we may see some infighting. I agree with a 9 game schedule that at least one quality BCS opponent is scheduled for every team. I think that would fix the issues that USC, UGA, and UF have with their OOC rivalries.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #45
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I don't think all of this SOS analysis is the driving factor. The bottom line is we have a network now and that network needs inventory and if we don't do it and other conferences with networks do, they may close the gap on the conference payouts, which will not be permitted.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #46
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Well half the teams would play 1 more home game. Set it up and it alternates every year.

Or set-up games on Neutral Fields. Like the UGA / FLa Cocktail Party.
One game on a neutral field would be the fairest solution and potentially bring in more money for the conference.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #47
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

The only truly fair way to go about it is for every team that is eligible for the College Football Playoffs will have to play the same amount of conference games and no games vs. FCS teams since they have their own play-off system. But, like the HBC has said many times, there isn't anything fair about college football. If the NCAA ever does anything worthwhile, they will make it a level playing field for all FBS teams. That includes increasing the amount of teams to compete in the play-offs. I understand this will cause some financial stress on SOME FCS teams, but that is the only way I see a fair system. Unless, they make it mandatory for every team to play one or two FCS game each year and they are not factored in when determining rankings or play-off/ bowl positions. I say move them to the beginning of the year and make them a pre-season game(s). This could be achieved by starting the year a week or two early, since a lot of teams are already complaining about the length of fall practice. Labor Day weekend would kick off the true CFB season.

Last edited by Travelin; 03-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #48
Gallo Pazzesco
Walk On

Male

Gallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
If the SEC moves to 9 games Auburn will move to the SEC East and Mizzou go West.
I wish that were true, because that is the way it should be but, alas, it will not unfortunately.

Attempting to be somewhat prophetic, I do believe that a nine game schedule sets up nicely for expansion to sixteen teams and divisional realignment at some point in the next decade or so.

Ideally we bring-in NC St and Va Tech, move Mizzou to the West, and call it quits on expansion for a century afterwards.

I wish it would stay at 14, move Auburn to the East and Mizzou to the West, and then we play a nine game schedule but Bama's B-ham will never let that happen.
Gallo Pazzesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #49
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
I don't think all of this SOS analysis is the driving factor. The bottom line is we have a network now and that network needs inventory and if we don't do it and other conferences with networks do, they may close the gap on the conference payouts, which will not be permitted.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. We are going to 9 games.

There is only one real problem with the 9 game schedule, the rest is just for shits and giggles.

1. The unbalanced home and away schedule.
4 home 5 away.

That's it. That's the problem. It's unfair to have unbalanced home and away. No one can argue any differently.

Dropping Directional Louisiana, Coastal Carolina, or UNC from the schedule means nothing. Dropping Clemson isn't going to happen. SOS is a non issue when you are 11-1 in the SEC.

We are going to go to 9 games, and it's totally unfair b/c of the 4/5 scheduling for half of the league. Hopefully, they won't make us play 5 away and Clemson away in the same season...but you know, it's all about what Alabama wants.

Last edited by Nureye; 03-18-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Nureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #50
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
DDuuuurrrrrr.............

I'll type 'joke' next time so you get it.
lol, he probably still doesn't get it.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #51
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! $$$! Too bad I had to read this whole hot-mess thread before someone made Tommy Edison proud.

In truth, IMO there's only one question that really matters: How much longer will the American people sit on their asses and let the NFL use them to support their farm system?

Time we made a few changes around here, put the word 'student' back where it should be and tell the NFL to foot the bill themselves.

It'll happen one fine day, but not yet; too many greedy bastards with their fingers in the cash register.

Guess I'm just being senile, so carry on.
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #52
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
One game on a neutral field would be the fairest solution and potentially bring in more money for the conference.
I suppose we could play aTm in the Superdome every year...
Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #53
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Everybody is so concerned with safety of the players these days.
And yet all the pundits want to see these same players play yet another game in a conference that sent 32 players to the NFL in one year.
A lot of freshmen were on the field against those NFL caliber players.

The SEC will never win another NC with that kind of brutal grind to go through every year.

FSU and Oklahoma/ Texas will be virtual locks every year.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #54
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockySpaniel View Post
Everybody is so concerned with safety of the players these days.
And yet all the pundits want to see these same players play yet another game in a conference that sent 32 players to the NFL in one year.
A lot of freshmen were on the field against those NFL caliber players.

The SEC will never win another NC with that kind of brutal grind to go through every year.

FSU and Oklahoma/ Texas will be virtual locks every year.
No doubt in my mind the CFB Playoffs are trying to make it more difficult for SEC teams to win National Championships on a regular basis.