CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
johnnyb
GamecockMomSC
Cockhornleghorn
2000grad
markymark550
Regalcock
ZenUSC
We Have to Pass (2036)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1468)
Spurrier weekly pres (1371)
This would be awesom (910)
How is Shaq Davidson (737)
McConaughey cast as (483)
Perspective on our g (458)
Defense and offense (325)
SEC referees? (309)
Black Friday Hard Co (271)
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Why has there been 40 yea
We Have to Pass
SEC referees?
Currently 2nd in attendan
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
2015 - Darius Slayton
College Football PSA (urg
2015 Commitment - Dexter

Old 03-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
GamecockStud
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
GamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talons
Default Santoku vs Chef's knife

Could someone explain the big differences here for me?

I know the Santoku has the little divets to keep veggies from sticking to it when chopping, but is there a reason why a chef's knife would be preferable over a Santoku?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Santoku vs Chef's knife

That is the question du jour. It may have been easy to dismiss the santoku as just a bit of trendy fluff initially but I find it extremely useful. I will never give up my good French chef's knife however. The big difference is in size, both length and handle. I have small hands so the santoku fits me so well that it easily becomes an extension of my arm and in an Eastern sense of my mind. There are still jobs that I use the big knife for however. They are much sturdier. I found that the santoku took some jobs from the big knife but took many from my small knives as well. In the end this will come down to individual preference. Do you find small knives comfortable or not? The answer may be telling. Whatever choice you make pay more than you think it should cost. There is no substitute for quality in your cutlery. Wusthof and Henkels are my prefered brands. Whatever style blade you choose plan to spend $100-$400 per knife. It goes without saying to always hand wash and never to store in a drawer. Here are some discussions of the two knife styles.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-fo...ives-under-100

http://www.articlesbase.com/food-and...ou-756280.html

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/857213

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Santok...ife&id=7382558

http://www.bestkitchenknivesreviewed...-vs-chef-knife

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/368485

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ife-22977.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/food/comment...s_chefs_knife/

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I use both types dependng upon the job. I have a little more control with the santuku.

I've got a full Shun Classic set. They are affordable but are also a quality set of knives. The "Perfect Pairing" knife is one of my favorites and is the perfect knife for peeling and deviening shrimp. Also the off set bread knife is very useful.

gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
GamecockStud
Blue Chip

Male

GamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talonsGamecockStud has developed his gaff and talons

Thanks for the replies and links, guys. I just bought a Shun Santoku a couple days ago, but have yet to break it in. Saving it for a Saturday/Sunday meal or something I guess. I still live in an apartment with a small kitchen, so I guess it makes sense that I prefer Santokus for now.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

CockyCash: 200
uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

Whether you go with santoku or chef..get a Shun
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

Guess I should have read the thread before replying

Good choice
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

Don't put it in the dishwasher...lol
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

I have the chef...utility...and the filet
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
GamecockStud
Blue Chip

Male

So why would you use the chef over the santoku? Just for feel... or do you use it for different things?

* your personal preference.. not what's given in the articles
Old 03-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Nassau Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Nassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot materialNassau Gamecock is USC mascot material

I use a santoku (2 sizes) for most prep work but a Sabatier (12' or 10") for kitchen carving. My small paring is a small Sabatier for small hand work.
I do like the sheep foot front of my Santoku with granton sides.
There used to be a le Creuset and Sabatier outlet near Charleston where I loaded up - knifes, pots, ovals etc. ) after college- still cooking with them just fine 40 years later.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockStud View Post
So why would you use the chef over the santoku? Just for feel... or do you use it for different things?

* your personal preference.. not what's given in the articles
One of the santoku's advantages is that the blade is somewhat flexible. That is also its disadvantage. You want a traditional knife to cut hard items like winter squash. If you are halving acorn squash with a santoku then I foresee a visit to the ER in your future. Please take your amputated digit ON ICE with you. They are more likely to be able to graft it back that way.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
GamecockStud
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
One of the santoku's advantages is that the blade is somewhat flexible. That is also its disadvantage. You want a traditional knife to cut hard items like winter squash. If you are halving acorn squash with a santoku then I foresee a visit to the ER in your future. Please take your amputated digit ON ICE with you. They are more likely to be able to graft it back that way.
Haha. Thanks for the advice.

I feel pretty happy with my purchase then. I don't carve a great deal of squash and if that rare occurence presents itself in the near future, I have a Sabatier chef's knife that should do the trick :D