CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
Spurticus
GH
Gamecocks1137
75CarolinaFan
JoeMorrisonLives
Rooster'srule
johnnyb
garnet_black215
Welcome to Moe's (629)
Jay Paterno Attempts (578)
help with army insig (266)
Hercules - review (263)
I'm a grand godfathe (144)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (58)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (55)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (38)
George Miller revisi (38)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (23)
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 Commitment - Paris P
2015 - Albert Huggins
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE Texa
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Davon Durant
Help Give Cocky a Home
Official WWE Thread
2015 - Mon Denson

Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit
Default Which tablet should I get?

I am interested in purchasing a tablet, mainly just for surfing the internet and watching Netflix, HBOgo, etc.. Any recommendations?

I'm going to avoid the smaller screen tablets (7 inch) because it wouldn't be conducive to one of my main purposes: watching Netflix, HBOGo, etc.

I've thought about getting a tablet with 3G internet connectivity, but don't think I'm going to do it because of the price bump and getting locked into a contract.

I've only used iPads before so I don't know much about anything else, but I do know there seem to be a lot of different options. Any recommendations or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Which tablet should I get?

I have an iPad and love it.. but I haven't tried anything else. One of my friends has the windows tablet and swears its better than anything else
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

I have an iPad2 and use it only for recreational purposes like you mentioned and I have never had an issue with it after almost 2 years of use. The battery still holds a good charge, although not as good as before the big I.O.S 7 update even after all the battery saving tips out there on the web.

At the time of purchasing mine, I was debating between the iPad and the Samsung galaxy. Honestly I went to Best Buy and played with each one for a good bit. There wasn't a significant difference, so I just went with the iPad2 since I knew the app store was pretty good and people would probably be more inclined to make apps for the iPad since it was popular. I am sure the Google Play store has caught up a good bit though.

My only regret is not getting one with bigger memory. I have the 16gb and I am almost out of space and don't have any songs or movies stored on the unit.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

Word of advice, don't skimp on the 3G/4G. If you do you will regret it from day one.
snruter amabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I have a lenovo tablet and it works just fine.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Damn, I just wrote a long piece and lost it due to a power failure. here is the short version. I have a big Ipad, a big Kindle, and two small kindles. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.

The iPad is easy to use. Marie is tech challenged so that is best for her. It is way overpriced plus you are in their walled garden which means restrictive which means even more costs. Otherwise it looks great.

I don't know about the Windows tabs. Might be good convergence if you also use a Windows phone and X-box. They do not have a great app collection yet. Maybe best for business use.

Android tabs work great. You have a much wider choice of make and model. There may be a bit of a learning curve if you do not have an Android phone. Check out Nexus tabs. Samsung too.

The Kindle is easy to use and is based on their own version of Android. You do not have access to the full Google app store though. Amazon has their own. It has about 75% of Google's but many that are paid apps elsewhere are free with Kindle. It is built primarily for entertainment purposes. Built in connection to Amazon Prime.

Amazon Prime. I consider this a must for tab, phone, and computer. The price goes up next month from $79 per year to $99. In addition to free 2 day shipping on many of the stuff from Amazon you get their e-book library and their Netflix like video service. You can check a free month out here and I will make $2. LOL. http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/signu...g=theyancey-20. I bought my 8.9" Kindle as a refurb to save some bucks and see if I liked it. They still have some for $129. Comes with the same 1 year warranty as new. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...g=theyancey-20.

There is no such thing as perfect tab yet. Like I said each has its good parts and its drawbacks. I'll add one thing. Marie is freaky about the iPad. Because of its cost she won't take it places. The cheap Kindle goes to the gym and everywhere else. Get Amazon Prime no matter what tab you get.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by snruter amabon View Post
Word of advice, don't skimp on the 3G/4G. If you do you will regret it from day one.
Interesting. I thought 3G/4G could be useful considering my internet at my apartment is not great. However, I saw the rates for data and it looks like between 10-20 bucks a month just for 1 GB of data. Obviously, if I'm going to be using this tablet a lot and hooked up to 3G/4G, I'd be using a lot more than 1 GB of data per month. Thus, I'd be looking at potentially $30 or more per month just to pay for the data usage of the tablet. Plus I'd have the initial price bump due to the ability to connect to 3G/4G. Seems like I'd be locking myself into a lot of $.

-- George Burns
Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

We don't have 3G/4G on any of our tabs and we don't find that we need it. Wifi is everywhere. I did upgrade our home wireless connection though. BTW, if I ever did need to connect a tab via cell I could simply do it through a hot spot through my existing phone and that would work will all of our devices.

#ModForMod
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
Interesting. I thought 3G/4G could be useful considering my internet at my apartment is not great. However, I saw the rates for data and it looks like between 10-20 bucks a month just for 1 GB of data. Obviously, if I'm going to be using this tablet a lot and hooked up to 3G/4G, I'd be using a lot more than 1 GB of data per month. Thus, I'd be looking at potentially $30 or more per month just to pay for the data usage of the tablet. Plus I'd have the initial price bump due to the ability to connect to 3G/4G. Seems like I'd be locking myself into a lot of $.
Yeah, sorry didn't think about that. I am grandfathered into the Sprint all I can use data plan so I don't think about things like that.
snruter amabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 720
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

I have an iPad mini and a Galaxy s4 tablet. Judging by your wants, I'd go with a windows tab or a regular size iPad. Windows tablets are really easy to use, but the droid tablets I've seen are fairly small, otherwise I'd recommend that.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 and love it. The split screen functionality, the built-in stylus, and the office suite software were what sold me.

The only thing I'd complain about is the lack of good cases for it. Maybe I just haven't looked around enough. I'd also consider thinking again about the screen sizes. Small differences in size aren't going to make that big a difference in your viewing experience but may make a large difference in the weight and ease of handling the device. For instance, I've been at the airport trying to watch a video on my tablet while drinking a coffee; without a table around to put the device down on, the extra weight can start to wear on you after awhile. If I had the choice to do over again, I'd have gone for a smaller size screen. Those smaller size screens also feel better to me when trying to read ebooks on them.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 and love it. The split screen functionality, the built-in stylus, and the office suite software were what sold me.

The only thing I'd complain about is the lack of good cases for it. Maybe I just haven't looked around enough. I'd also consider thinking again about the screen sizes. Small differences in size aren't going to make that big a difference in your viewing experience but may make a large difference in the weight and ease of handling the device. For instance, I've been at the airport trying to watch a video on my tablet while drinking a coffee; without a table around to put the device down on, the extra weight can start to wear on you after awhile. If I had the choice to do over again, I'd have gone for a smaller size screen. Those smaller size screens also feel better to me when trying to read ebooks on them.
I have to agree with you about the size. The big iPad is just not suited to hold. Great on a desk or counter though. My 7" is good enough for most uses but I find that the Kindle 8.9" really hits the sweet spot. Big enough to watch a flick on but not so big that it is difficult to hold.

#ModForMod
Old 03-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
StacysMom
Walk On

Female

StacysMom has hatched from the shell

I love my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab. It goes for many hours on a charge, which was what attracted me. I use it to read email, watch videos, surf the internet, much like what you propose doing with yours. Less expensive than the Note, good if you don't need any business applications. I bought a nice protective case for it on Amazon.
StacysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Thanks everyone for the info!

Currently I'm thinking either an Ipad 2, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, or a Windows Surface. I'm not going to get any of the latest generation stuff just due to the price. Having had a MacBook and an iPhone and used an iPad before, I certainly have familiarity with Apple products. However, I do know the screen resolution isn't great and evidently some consider the iPad 2 a relic.

The more I keep researching these, the more I keep talking myself in circles!

-- George Burns
Old 03-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:

Currently I'm thinking either an Ipad 2, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, or a Windows Surface. I'm not going to get any of the latest generation stuff just due to the price. Having had a MacBook and an iPhone and used an iPad before, I certainly have familiarity with Apple products. However, I do know the screen resolution isn't great and evidently some consider the iPad 2 a relic.

I have the one in bold. It's awesome. Sorry, I have the Tab 3 10.1 Note with the S Pen...
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudlyTodd803 is crowing loudly

Quote:

If you didn't know, Apple just discountinued the Ipad 2 and replaced it with the 4th gen at the same $399 price point. You can also look for deals on their outlet with all items coming with a 1 year warranty - http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad Since they just announced the price cut for the 4th gen, the refurb prices should fall soon.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
If you didn't know, Apple just discountinued the Ipad 2 and replaced it with the 4th gen at the same $399 price point. You can also look for deals on their outlet with all items coming with a 1 year warranty - http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad Since they just announced the price cut for the 4th gen, the refurb prices should fall soon.

Yes I did see this. Looks like the iPad 4 is an upgrade, but I was especially interested in the $299 price of iPad 2's that are still available. Would the extra $100 be worth it for the iPad 4?

-- George Burns
Old 03-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
CCC
Her Modness

Female

CockyCash: 101500
CCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot materialCCC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
We don't have 3G/4G on any of our tabs and we don't find that we need it. Wifi is everywhere. I did upgrade our home wireless connection though. BTW, if I ever did need to connect a tab via cell I could simply do it through a hot spot through my existing phone and that would work will all of our devices.
I use mine in the same way. Hook to WiFi at most places, use my phone as a hotspot at others, if needed.

Quote:
Yes I did see this. Looks like the iPad 4 is an upgrade, but I was especially interested in the $299 price of iPad 2's that are still available. Would the extra $100 be worth it for the iPad 4?
Walmart still has the Ipad 2 for $299: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad...White/22144351

I have the iPad2 and use it to watch Netflix and Amazon video, check email, etc. I've had it several years now and it still works great and is easy to use.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #19
Cockdiesel7
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1318
Cockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudlyCockdiesel7 is crowing loudly

[quote=ipull4usc;4116882]Yes I did see this. Looks like the iPad 4 is an upgrade, but I was especially interested in the $299 price of iPad 2's that are still available. Would the extra $100 be worth it for the iPad 4?[/

I would go with the newer one just because apple will keep giving updates to that one longer
Cockdiesel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #20
impirius
Galactic Overlord

Male

impirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot materialimpirius is USC mascot material

The high-resolution display on the 4th gen iPad is well worth the extra $100 on its own, and it has a much better processor as well.