CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
FurmanCock
Cockhornleghorn
Master Bedroom
b381l
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
SanAntonioCock
GamecockUltimate
sanford
Venables to TAMU? (3054)
Clemson fans (2134)
Vegas line moving on (2055)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (1851)
Phil Kronblut show (1155)
Arkansas... (862)
Women's Soccer Elite (847)
End of the aTm / LSU (840)
Have we been favored (647)
Anyone know what thi (627)
Arkansas...
Clemson fans
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Women's Soccer Elite Eigh
Place to watch in ATL?
Venables to TAMU?
Vegas line moving on game
Constant Updates on Watso
Turkey Day NFL games
Morris to SMU

Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #21
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spring Practice News

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Robinson will be ok again this year. Best option we have there. Matulis would be working at OT if Elliot wasn't comfortable with him. The only open spot up for grabs is RG and that's where they are giving Matulis his shot.
I hope he has improved over last season if he is our best option for that
position going into the season. He was greatly outplayed buy his assignments
for the majority of the year. I don't expect any LT to win every single battle
or to totally dominate the oppositions DEs for the entire game and the entire
season, but it was clear he was outplayed A LOT. Add to that, when he played
an above average DE, he was easily frustrated into costing our offense
crucial yardage via Holding Penalties, and Illegal Procedure calls. .. Best
we have at LT or not, he was the weak link on the O/line most of the season.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #22
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

For those who haven't heard yet:

Coach Spurrier and Todd Ellis will do a special edition of Carolina Calls
Tomorrow night for updates on the Spring Practices so far. ... Might be a
good source of information on how the team is progressing.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #23
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Best
I am glad someone has finally said this.

Being big doesn't mean you are going to be good at this very demanding position. Corey needs to work on his footwork and he is very easy to get around on a speed rush, especially if the defender is not tall. This, in turn, leads to desperation holding (and subsequent penalties).

The thing that worries me is he always has a fearful look on his face when he gets into his stance. He doesn't look confident. This year, I think SE will coach him up to a higher level and build his confidence. I expect that to make a big difference.

Faster footwork, staying lower in his blocking stance, knowing the blocking scheme and a new boost of confidence -- all of these are possible with the quality of coaching we have.

If he remains the starter, it is because they feel confident they can refine his game.

I trust our staff to make the right call and "coach him up".
Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
I thought Cory did pretty decently last year. The major goof ups on the line were the center letting players come through the A gaps without bothering to even touch them.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #25
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
260 by Fall practice and we should be happy provided he retains he quickness and adds the strength.
Looks like he and the staff finally figured out the best way for him to gain weight. Good to hear...just hope he can keep his speed.

Sounds like he also put in work in the winter workouts and increased his pound for pound strength as well.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #26
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree. Matulis as a True Freshman played the position better. Corey may be better inside on the next level imo.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #27
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

I hope local fans keep in mind that it is best to just watch the practices. Spurrier gets nervous when fans put too much info online. He looks upon too much info as being "scouted". Keep it cool folks.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #28
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

dont get the critics of Corey. I think hes done pretty damn well given he moves as quick as he does and is 6'8" 330+ I think he can improve but personally i wouldnt want anyone else at that spot given his experience and snaps hes logged there so far. I heard people bashing his footwork all season last year and honestly his feet are quicker than about 2-3 other linemen on the oline.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #29
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
dont get the critics of Corey. I think hes done pretty damn well given he moves as quick as he does and is 6'8" 330+ I think he can improve but personally i wouldnt want anyone else at that spot given his experience and snaps hes logged there so far. I heard people bashing his footwork all season last year and honestly his feet are quicker than about 2-3 other linemen on the oline.
He has. A lot of the criticism has to do with the athletes he goes up against on third and long. Some of those guys could make NFL tackles look silly now and again.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 AM   #30
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I want a fair weather day so I can get some first person practice news.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:56 AM   #31
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
My guess is that if Matulis is working at RG this early, then I'm also assuming
that they might move AJ to left tackle ......to see if we can find a SOLID
player out there. Cory wasn't cutting it against the better DEs we faced last
year. If that's the case, even if AJ doesn't move to LT, then we will have a
solid #2 at RG behind Cann for the season. ... Matulis is a big ole boy, and
we need to find a place for him to grow into a position.
you want us to take an NFL prospect at LT and move him somewhere else on the line? if we were worried about LT I think it would be Robinson working Guard and seeing if Matulis can stay healthy and take over LT obviously thats not happening which says to me Elliot is very comfortable with Robinson at LT

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #32
97srad750
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material97srad750 is USC mascot material

I think Corey played pretty well last year, and expect him to play even better this year. Every tackle in our league has problems with the speed rush.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #33
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talons

Robinson is the best LT we have seen in action. That doesn't mean he is the best LT on the team. I think that may be Spurticus' point. Given all the practices he has analyzed over the years, I think he has a good pulse on the individual talents of our team. IMO good footwork and avg size is more valuable than prototypical size and okay footwork. Without leverage and balance you are dead in the water. Robinson will more than likley go 6-7 round unless he has a stellar year with film that demonstrates much improved technique.
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #34
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talons

BTW I do think we will do fine with Robinson at LT but I am not opposed to someone taking his spot if he has earned it.
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #35
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
you want us to take an NFL prospect at LT and move him somewhere else on the line? if we were worried about LT I think it would be Robinson working Guard and seeing if Matulis can stay healthy and take over LT obviously thats not happening which says to me Elliot is very comfortable with Robinson at LT
I didn't say anything about moving Corey to another position. What I said was
Corey (of all the O/Line positions) was our "Weakest Link". I would like to
see the proof / link to a report from an NFL Scout, coach or team owner, who
is high on the play of Corey Robinson based on his performance from last
season. .. If you can find one and post it, I'd be willing to accept the idea that
he may have NFL Potential. I have yet to observe it by his play with my own
eyes. Corey may be The Best We have. If so, then we have to play him there.
Corey cost the offense a lot of yards last season and most of it, during
very crucial points in drives in big games with multiple Illegal Procedure
Penalties, or Holding calls, and if we have ANY possible replacements we need
to pursue them.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #36
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I didn't say anything about moving Corey to another position. What I said was
Corey (of all the O/Line positions) was our "Weakest Link". I would like to
see the proof / link to a report from an NFL Scout, coach or team owner, who
is high on the play of Corey Robinson based on his performance from last
season. .. If you can find one and post it, I'd be willing to accept the idea that
he may have NFL Potential. I have yet to observe it by his play with my own
eyes. Corey may be The Best We have. If so, then we have to play him there.
Corey cost the offense a lot of yards last season and most of it, during
very crucial points in drives in big games with multiple Illegal Procedure
Penalties, or Holding calls, and if we have ANY possible replacements we need
to pursue them.
Like most on here, your opinions are well respected. However, based on Elliott's remarks, his line criticism last year was of Waldrop, who, Elliott said in several post game interviews, made some boneheaded mistakes. (In his defense, Waldrop was also injured, and imo, tried to play through an injury when he should have sat out). Based on comments by the Running Game Coordinator, it seems to me that if you wanted to pick out a weak link on the 2013 OL, it was the center position. OTH, I don't recall any criticism by Elliott of Cory, but maybe you can refresh my recollection.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #37
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

No one's going to take Robinson's spot. That's foolish to think.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #38
funktavious
Walk On

Male

funktavious has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
It's easy to get mad at Corey because it seems like most of the sacks come from the DE's he's blocking. However, the LT almost always goes up against the other team's best pass rusher. It's the QB's blindside so other teams are going to have their best pass rusher there. Think about how foolish Clowney made LTs look his whole career at USC. I get mad at Corey when I'm watching but I do know that his position is the toughest on the OL
funktavious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #39
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

It's his final year of college eligibility, and we all know he wants badly to continue his career at the next level. Hopefully he got some good advice on what he needs to work on and improve to give him the best chance, and takes this season seriously. He could have his best year yet at USC this season...

As far as the center position, it was manned by two red-shirt freshmen playing their first season of college FB in the SEC, and one of them was injured most of the season, and the other was a bit under-sized to be a mainstay starter in the SEC. This season both will have CFB experience and another off-season to develop. I'm excited about our OL for 2014....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #40
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Like most on here, your opinions are well respected. However, based on Elliott's remarks, his line criticism last year was of Waldrop, who, Elliott said in several post game interviews, made some boneheaded mistakes. (In his defense, Waldrop was also injured, and imo, tried to play through an injury when he should have sat out). Based on comments by the Running Game Coordinator, it seems to me that if you wanted to pick out a weak link on the 2013 OL, it was the center position. OTH, I don't recall any criticism by Elliott of Cory, but maybe you can refresh my recollection.
We hear very little during the season from the assistant coaches. Being
honest, I don't recall ever hearing a post game comment by coach
Elliott. I'm sure he did some.....I don't recall hearing them, or seeing
his comments from them posted. ... I DO HOWEVER, recall several post
game interviews, and replay comments by our Run Game Coordinator's
boss (Coach Steve Spurrier), expressing his frustration and displeasure
from holding calls, motion penalties and missed assignments from our
left tackle spot (Corey Robinson). Yes there were others who drew the
ire of Coach Spurrier, but Robinson's position, and mistakes came up more
than any of the other O/Linemen.

Corey Robinson might come out of the gates, hair on fire and dominate
the opponents DEs/LBs on the strong side in 2014, and end up being an
all SEC first team player this season. He might be the MVP of the O/line
this fall. No Gamecock fan on the face of the planet will be happier for
him than me. I hope an improvement in his play is coming. I want him
to succeed and be a much better player. .... But:
BASED ON HIS BODY OF WORK FROM GAME ONE, TO GAME 13 LAST SEASON....
he was not a solid LT against the majority of the opposition
last season, and he (IMHO) was far from being an NFL Caliber Strong
Side Tackle. I said it above, and I'll say it again. If he is the best we have
then we go with it, and do the best we can. We did it last year and ended
up the #4 team in the nation and had yet another 11 win season. I would
like to see what our guys can do when some of the major causes for
concern from last year get fixed.... or improves. Corey's position is one
of those I'd like to see improved.