CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
kingofnerf
Captain9Dragons
ReadR00ster
The Yancey
2000grad
Fight, win, kick a-- (1076)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (916)
CFN prediction for a (853)
Why I'm hopeful abou (782)
The Gator Bowl wants (766)
USC will upset Aubur (648)
A simple defensive l (630)
What happened to thi (599)
Ranking Top HC jobs (452)
In-state QB talent (405)
Why is everyone anticipat
Cann tipping plays?
BA ranks recruiting class
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Thoughts on the basketbal
Ranking the SEC Football
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Media tabs South Carolina

Old 03-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly
Default Director of Athletic Bands leaving

Dr. Phillips has taken a new job at Colorado State University.

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/03/1...-director.html
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Director of Athletic Bands leaving

Big promotion for her...it's a once-in-a-career type opportunity.

It was a pleasure to perform in the Carolina Band under her direction, and I hate to see her go. But, ultimately...our university just didn't have the positions open to offer her comparable professional growth.

The band will be ok...the culture is entirely different than it was 4-5 years ago.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Sad to see her go, she really did a lot.
Hopefully she has set up a system that someone can pick up where she left off.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

She really upgraded the music and excitement, and made us the 'sound of the southeast' for sure! Hate to see her leave but wish her well and Godspeed!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
evilpoptart
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
evilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudlyevilpoptart is crowing loudly
Send a message via AIM to evilpoptart

Hopefully Dr. Phillips successor will continue the progress she started. I thank Dr. Phillips for everything she did to improve the band here. It really has been an amazing transition.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Understand if she is doing the best thing for herself, but that sucks. She did a great job. I just hope they get a replacement with a similar philosophy.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Sucks that she is leaving as she really injected new life into the band. It was a night/day difference after she took over. Hopefully we bring someone else in who can take what she put in place and run with it.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

I think with what she's built and the ambition of Dr. Weiss we'll get a quality replacement.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Bring someone fun for the fans in.

Like Ohio States band people....I don't groan when the band comes out....I'm actually interested in seeing what they do.

No sense in playing pop songs on brass...I can do that and I haven't played my trumpet in years.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Uhgg. Terrible news.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Bring someone fun for the fans in.

Like Ohio States band people....I don't groan when the band comes out....I'm actually interested in seeing what they do.

No sense in playing pop songs on brass...I can do that and I haven't played my trumpet in years.
Is Michael Jackson not considered pop? I thought he was like...the king of pop or something.

Does movie music count as pop music or no? When I play symphony gigs that would be the type of thing on a "pops" concert so I'm just not sure what your definition of pop is here.

At any rate it's not like you're forced to sit there and keep quiet or something, so there's not to groan about. I didn't manage to go to any games last season but my experience with the band is that there's generally a pretty good variety in types of musical selections from show to show. They can't pick music that will make everyone in the stadium happy every week.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Happy for her. She was a great band director for the Gamecocks. Remember the Mizzou fans complaining that our road band was louder than their own band.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Prepare for the sound system to be used more with this and the new SEC rules.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #14
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

wow, so Colorado state is an upgrade..shows you what I know. seems like a downgrade..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
wow, so Colorado state is an upgrade..shows you what I know. seems like a downgrade..
First, Colorado State is arguably not a step down. It has an enrollment of over 30,000 students located in Ft. Collins, a city in the middle of the Rockies. It is a beautiful place, and if you like to ski or the mountains, it would be a nice place to live. Second, she is getting a promotion from her current position.

Quote:
Phillips served as an associate professor and the associate director of bands in the USC School of Music in addition to directing the athletics bands. At Colorado State, she will be the director of bands, which includes guiding the school’s top concert ensemble.

“It’s an opportunity for me to eventually become a full professor someday, and it’s an opportunity for me to run a program completely from top-to-bottom and not just the athletic band,” she said. “These opportunities do not come along very often in this profession.”

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #16
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
It is a pretty significant promotion for her.

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
#1TheBeast
Recruit

Male

#1TheBeast has hatched from the shell

Gonna miss her - we sat next to the band in the outback two years ago and it was fun to watch them.

She definitely is leaving us in a better place than we were before
#1TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #18
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Yeah I hate this for the band. I was a member from 2010 to 2012, and the difference between the 2010 and 2011 season was just unbelievable. 2012 was even better and I'm sure that 2013 was great as well. Definitely gonna miss her.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote