CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
smoovecock
b381l
kick_ball
Lalli25
thekob
etowngangsta
The Yancey
l^l^lBGCock
Lonnie
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPUR (3325)
Rebutting Dabo's Ran (2573)
Good Omen for Saturd (1883)
Starting Lineup Anno (1812)
Cant believe no one (1673)
Suspicious sign-in a (734)
We Have to Pass (720)
Poster on another si (653)
Spurrier weekly pres (591)
SOS needs to put thi (503)
Defense and offense ranki
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Odell Becham Catch
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Cant believe no one has s
Why has there been 40 yea
USC/clemson spread
This would be awesome....
Ninety Six 21 Abbeville
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPURRIER

Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material
Default Re: Which tablet should I get?

I have a 4th gen iPad and I do not really love it. Fortunately I didn't pay for it, got it from work and it's handy for certain things. There are lots of apps available of course, but I've had issues with it. It crashes or locks up sometimes and the headphone jack stopped working. If I had to get a tablet with my own money I would get something else.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #22
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by impirius View Post
The high-resolution display on the 4th gen iPad is well worth the extra $100 on its own, and it has a much better processor as well.
This. Huge performance difference and the Retina screen is much better. Worth the extra $100 easy.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #23
RedneckCPA
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
RedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talonsRedneckCPA has developed his gaff and talons

As other posters say, pros and cons of any choice. I have spent considerable time researching and waited until recently to get my first tablet.

Amazon Prime is great but not available for any Android tablet other than Kindle devices. Amazon has specifically blocked it. On some tablets, you can sideload Firefox or another browser to get to Prime but I would not count on it.

I am anti-Apple but the iPad does handle flash better.

Window tablets are great if you can afford the second generation. The first generation is not as great.

I have a Samsung 2014 Note 10.1. It is a premium tablet with a top-of-the-line display. I mainly use it for work - it is a fabulous note taking device. But I can't watch movies - which is bad. The only other note taking device worth having is the Windows Surface Pro 2 which is $1,000 - so a big premium. But it does everything really well - it is just really expensive.

As note taking was my #1 concern, I got the Note. It has exceeded expectations although expensive (thankfully work bought it).

If you really just want an entertainment device, it is hard to go wrong with the Kindle Fire HDX. It has the best display in the industry (better than the retina iPad or my Samsung) and plays Prime and other movie companies. It is also less than $200 - so really cheap. But it is not a good work device so don't count on it for that.

Best wishes.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #24
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787

Quote:
Originally Posted by impirius View Post
The high-resolution display on the 4th gen iPad is well worth the extra $100 on its own, and it has a much better processor as well.
I also have a 4th gen iPad, and have not had any issues with it. Every now and then an app will crash, but that will happen on any tablet and its just a matter of opening the app back up. The charge is still great even after over a year of use and you can't beat the apple market.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #25
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

lol, I have a first gen ipad, used it daily since I got it, and still has great battery life

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #26
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 32021
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Any Apple product created while Jobs was still alive is worth it. However as newer versions come out and without his genius, their competition will surpass all Apple products just like anything produced between 1985 and until the introduction of the iPhone in 2007
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #27
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I have an 8-inch Android Dell tablet. It's easy to use and I really enjoy having it. It's essentially a larger version of my Android phone, minus the calling capability.

I've tested our mobile apps at work with an iPad 2 and Windows Surface. No problems with the iPad 2. Ran our apps just fine with no problems. The Surface was ok, but was really quirky with running our web apps. The version of IE installed was supposed to support HTML5, but it didn't support all the features available in Safari or Chrome, which is problematic for some of our apps.

On a user standpoint, I would not get the Surface. Like I stated before, I like my Dell and I have no problems with the iPad. The Surface took longer for apps to open and the interface just seemed too clunky. Didn't like it much at all.

Best advice would be to go to a store and try out the ones you are seriously thinking about.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 AM   #28
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

I sell the guys...

iPad is good, but you get bundled into everything Apple. Frankly, you buy Apple for the name and apps. You can find similar processing power in cheaper models.

Don't get the first Surface, it is bad. But, they fixed it in the second generation and it is doing well. You'd have the ability to run Office and it is a great productivity machine. The negative is that the Windows app market is still growing, so there is pains in finding 3rd party apps made for windows.

The new Amazon HDX is the best entertainment machine on the market, but similar to Apple they have you loosely tied in to their apps and their other products.

The Samsung line is good and frankly, I don't see much difference between the 3rd and 4th generation. But, there is a lot of bloatware that Samsung has added and features that it seems you won't be using.

The Nexus is a great solid brand. It would have the freedom to do what you want without all the excess and has a wide range of apps.

All in all, I would recommend the Nexus 10" or the Amazon HDX.