CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
b381l
Order 66
Ahmad
wumarshall82
CockyGuy
Thoughts on Shawn El (1611)
10-2 (1560)
UK promoting a black (1375)
Time for a new coach (954)
Four UK Players Susp (861)
Coach Gaines: " (842)
Connor Shaw's fault. (584)
I Was Dealing With T (545)
Since everyone loves (457)
Build a New Stadium (455)
400 pasing yards
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Connor Mitch
I Was Dealing With The Lo
QB Recruiting Strategy
Any prospects w/whom our
Four UK Players Suspended
Build a New Stadium
This program has no ideni
How much $$ would you lit

Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #81
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
That doesn't really answer the question, do you think that a school should put that sort of language into academic scholorships? Personally, I think it would be a terrible business decision for the school. They would stand to make much more in future tuitions if they had a best selling author study at their school than they would make from the book royalties.
I bet if you are Harvard, people wouldn't care what was in it, they'd go there. It is the same with the major football schools, people will go to where they feel makes them the best at what they want to do. Also the university doesn't have to put this type of language in their contracts, they just can't participate in NCAA sports if they don't follow the rules.

I have no problem with them not paying athletes. I also don't care if the top 500 football players never played college football but went to a minor league. I watch college football because of loyalty to a university and the rivalries more than for the level of athlete that is playing. It is the same reason why I follow USC baseball religiously but couldn't careless about minor league baseball. These athletes are not the reason why college football brings in billions, but the university allegiances that fans have.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #82
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I bet if you are Harvard, people wouldn't care what was in it, they'd go there. It is the same with the major football schools, people will go to where they feel makes them the best at what they want to do. Also the university doesn't have to put this type of language in their contracts, they just can't participate in NCAA sports if they don't follow the rules.

I have no problem with them not paying athletes. I also don't care if the top 500 football players never played college football but went to a minor league. I watch college football because of loyalty to a university and the rivalries more than for the level of athlete that is playing. It is the same reason why I follow USC baseball religiously but couldn't careless about minor league baseball. These athletes are not the reason why college football brings in billions, but the university allegiances that fans have.
Ok, will you nominate me to replace Coach Spurrier? I'll do it for free, but they have to schedule practice around my work schedule. We may not be any good since I've never coached college ball before, but that shouldn't matter to the fans. I'm sure their allegiance will hold strong throughout my tenure and we can save millions by not having to pay a coaching staff.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #83
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
It was neither. Just a reference to the opportunities playing D1 football offers. I made no reference to race. Being a bag boy has no racial undertones. In fact, I'd say most bag boys I encounter are white teenagers. The fact that you and catfish input race into it speak more to your distorted points of view than mine.

Your post assumed all college football players, if not given the opportunity to play college athletics, would have no recourse but to work a minimum wage job.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #84
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
Ok, will you nominate me to replace Coach Spurrier? I'll do it for free, but they have to schedule practice around my work schedule. We may not be any good since I've never coached college ball before, but that shouldn't matter to the fans. I'm sure their allegiance will hold strong throughout my tenure and we can save millions by not having to pay a coaching staff.
When USC was 0-11 it wasn't too far from that.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #85
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Your post assumed all college football players, if not given the opportunity to play college athletics, would have no recourse but to work a minimum wage job.
Oh, and that's racist... got it... thanks for clearing that up.
taylorssc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #86
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

I have a suspicion that if it a Tater said that Devin Taylor would be mowing his grass if it weren't for college football, people on here would have a wildly different perspective on the racial/dbaggy-ness of that comment.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #87
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

Quote:

So if none of this matters why do you so vigorously object to it?

If winning doesn't matter, why does Tennessee spend $2 million a year on recruiting? Why did their athletic department end up in huge debt after their football team started underperforming? Coincidence?

Do you actually believe this stuff you're saying? Or are you just arguing because you enjoy college football the way it is and don't want it to change?
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #88
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
I have a suspicion that if it a Tater said that Devin Taylor would be mowing his grass if it weren't for college football, people on here would have a wildly different perspective on the racial/dbaggy-ness of that comment.
I have a suspicion that you're not nearly as intelligent as you'd like to think you are.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #89
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
When USC was 0-11 it wasn't too far from that.
And I bet our revenue(Adjusted for inflation) was much higher last season than during our 0-11 season.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #90
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good

Male

CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Uh, no. Your high school was free for everyone, regardless of whether you played football. College is not.
So if something is free, it means the school can profit as much as they want, but if it costs something the player is magically owed something? What about private high schools?

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #91
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Oh, and that's racist... got it... thanks for clearing that up.

Pop quiz: of what race are an overwhelming majority of college football players?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #92
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post

Yep.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #93
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Pop quiz: of what race are an overwhelming majority of college football players?
I'll call your bluff. What is the number? I want to know. What is the percentage breakdown by race of d1, d2, d3, etc players? Facts only please.

Just some advance notice, I know the answer. You're going to be surprised when you find it. I'd venture to say assuming the vast majority are African American is racist in itself. But I'll just assume you're undereducated and like your friend, much less intelligent than you'd like to think you are.

Hell, what race am I? You don't know. You've made a lot of assumptions to call me a racist.

Last edited by taylorssc; 03-20-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #94
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Boo Freaking Hoo
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #95
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:

I have to disagree with you here. Harvard became what they are on working at it, they just didn't become Ivy league best University to get an education at school overnight. Just like if USC had lost a couple of more seasons with 0-11 the fans would of stopped coming. Just like if USC wins SECC' and NC. The fans will come in packs to see the Gamecocks. It's why BAMA is the biggest name today they worked for that status. Got a coach that got them back to that status, and they are the toughest team in the country to beat. If the players go to a Minor league, and that league broadcast the future NFL stars in the nation. College will take a huge dip in viewership. These star players help the games name. Just like Clowney is to USC, he helped attract some people to watch him play. For you, you might still come to the game, but a good bit of people come to see winners on the field.

As for the paying part, yeah it's tough because a few schools are making a profit not all. An increased stipend, and maybe bonds they get when they graduate if they are used in a game/autograph session etc, could help. It avoids Title IX and for the ones that are the stars they can get their money. To outright pay though isn't most likely going to work..

Last edited by rioninusc; 03-21-2014 at 11:57 AM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #96
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I'll call your bluff. What is the number? I want to know. What is the percentage breakdown by race of d1, d2, d3, etc players? Facts only please.

Just some advance notice, I know the answer. You're going to be surprised when you find it. I'd venture to say assuming the vast majority are African American is racist in itself. But I'll just assume you're undereducated and like your friend, much less intelligent than you'd like to think you are.

Hell, what race am I? You don't know. You've made a lot of assumptions to call me a racist.

I asked you a question.
Answer mine first and then I'll answer yours.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #97
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I asked you a question.
Answer mine first and then I'll answer yours.
I know the answer. You obviously don't. Looking it up will do you some good. You need to learn a lesson here buddy.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:51 PM   #98
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

According to the NCAA website the percentages for D1 football players for 2012-2013 (most recent year available) are as follows:

White - 42.2
Black - 46.5
American Indian/Alaskan Native - 0.4
Asian - 0.6
Hispanic/Latino - 2.5
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 1.4
Two or More Races - 3.0
Nonresident Alien - 0.4
Other - 3.0
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #99
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettosc View Post
According to the NCAA website the percentages for D1 football players for 2012-2013 (most recent year available) are as follows:

White - 42.2
Black - 46.5
American Indian/Alaskan Native - 0.4
Asian - 0.6
Hispanic/Latino - 2.5
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 1.4
Two or More Races - 3.0
Nonresident Alien - 0.4
Other - 3.0

Yep. I wanted 3MTA3 to post it, but I knew he wouldn't.

There's your "overwhelming majority"... 4% difference. You racist.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #100
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

Pop Quiz: Why does 3MTA3 only pay attention to black men on the football field?