CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
taylorssc
Coulwoodwarlord
WeStillOwnUSC
ZenUSC
gamecock88
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
cockybusiness2
SpurProsecutor
Pw00132
Kentucky prediction (1802)
Just Booked my Hotel (1213)
Best position coach (640)
So What? (630)
The New Idea That'll (511)
Waldrop doubtful for (392)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (340)
So What? (219)
We Have A New KO Guy (215)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (200)
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Build a New Stadium
We Have A New KO Guy
4th & 1 Play
Kentucky prediction
Dylan Thompson looks brok
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Just Booked my Hotel for
The New Idea That'll Fix
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2

Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default Dragon Age sale

In preparation for DA Inquisition''s release this fall Steam has the complete set of the DA games that went before 75% off. That is $7.45 for the previous two and their expansions and add on packs. Good deal. http://store.steampowered.com/app/47810/

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
NotKyle
The Hero Rides Again

Male

CockyCash: 200
NotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dragon Age sale

One of my favorite RPGs ever... and then there was the second one. At least with Inquisition it sounds like BioWare is addressing fan complaints about DA 2.
NotKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotKyle View Post
One of my favorite RPGs ever... and then there was the second one. At least with Inquisition it sounds like BioWare is addressing fan complaints about DA 2.
I'm about to get into DA 2 after I beat DA:O/A What is some of the shortcomings of DA 2?
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
NotKyle
The Hero Rides Again

Male

NotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
I'm about to get into DA 2 after I beat DA:O/A What is some of the shortcomings of DA 2?
I had a few issues with it, the first being that character customization is very limited. If you don't use the default "Hawke" face, you'll end up with a character that is graphically inferior to all the other ones you run across. Also, all the classes from DA:O have been nerfed down to bare bones. For example, I had a Warrior in DA:O with high DEX and dual wielded swords. That isn't possible in DA2, as only rogues can dual wield, and only daggers, and the DEX stat does almost nothing for a Warrior beyond raise critical hit damage. Also, the player character is the only one that can change armors, for some stupid reason. The rest of your party keeps the same armor that can be "upgraded".

Also, the environments are extremely limited. A majority of the game takes place in one city, and when you do go outside of it, a lot of the backgrounds and enemies are overused to an insane degree.

Basically, DA2 feels like a quick cash-in on the success of DA:O. Bioware mostly just copied and pasted stuff from DA:O and recorded voice work, and called it a day. You'll see almost nothing new or substantive, they really dumbed down the combat too. I completed the entire game on Hard difficulty by highlighting the party and right clicking enemies until they all died.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

DA-O was one of m favorites too. You could mod it to remove the gals clothes and have a bit of lesbo-a-go-go with the female leads. DA2 wasn't a bad game. It just wasn't a newer and better DA-O. Bioware could still make a bundle with a good expansion to Origins. DA2 just didn't look or feel anything like DA-O. I didn't think it was a bad game. It was just disappointing that it was not more Origin like. I'll be all over Inquisition though.

Order Of The Spur
Old 03-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
NotKyle
The Hero Rides Again

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
DA-O was one of m favorites too. You could mod it to remove the gals clothes and have a bit of lesbo-a-go-go with the female leads. DA2 wasn't a bad game. It just wasn't a newer and better DA-O. Bioware could still make a bundle with a good expansion to Origins. DA2 just didn't look or feel anything like DA-O. I didn't think it was a bad game. It was just disappointing that it was not more Origin like. I'll be all over Inquisition though.
Definitely, I wouldn't call it a bad game at all. What a lot of people including myself wanted was a newer better DA:O. What we got was different and disappointing, but not a "Bad" game by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotKyle View Post
I had a few issues with it, the first being that character customization is very limited. If you don't use the default "Hawke" face, you'll end up with a character that is graphically inferior to all the other ones you run across. Also, all the classes from DA:O have been nerfed down to bare bones. For example, I had a Warrior in DA:O with high DEX and dual wielded swords. That isn't possible in DA2, as only rogues can dual wield, and only daggers, and the DEX stat does almost nothing for a Warrior beyond raise critical hit damage. Also, the player character is the only one that can change armors, for some stupid reason. The rest of your party keeps the same armor that can be "upgraded".

Also, the environments are extremely limited. A majority of the game takes place in one city, and when you do go outside of it, a lot of the backgrounds and enemies are overused to an insane degree.

Basically, DA2 feels like a quick cash-in on the success of DA:O. Bioware mostly just copied and pasted stuff from DA:O and recorded voice work, and called it a day. You'll see almost nothing new or substantive, they really dumbed down the combat too. I completed the entire game on Hard difficulty by highlighting the party and right clicking enemies until they all died.
Also read an article about the shortcomings, it seems the decisions you make don't really impact the outcome at all. Hopefully Inquisition can right the ship.

Edit think it might of had something to do with EA buying them out? I think DA Origins was created before Bioware was bought by EA. I've noticed Bioware has lost some of it's edge since the buyout, and wondering if it's pressure from the EA to release games that will appeal to a bigger audience? Kind of like the way Square has gone with it's lackluster games.

Edit 2
Game was released while they merged with EA, but it's possible that development started before they were bought out though.

Last edited by rioninusc; 03-19-2014 at 02:17 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
NotKyle
The Hero Rides Again

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
think it might of had something to do with EA buying them out?
Yes, in so many ways. EA has made it clear in the past from their sequels that they really don't care all that much about quality, so long as they can keep pumping out sequels. Reminds me of this graphic:

A lot of great development houses and franchises down the drain. Is Bioware next?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #9
ultimatetailgater
Banned

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Wing Commander is still my favorite series of all time. 3 & 4 were soo far ahead of anything else at the time. They had better production than a lot of hollywood films
ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

Order Of The Spur