CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
The Yancey
aftertwobowls
Sandstorm29
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
Regalcock
GregoryHouse
rioninusc
The Vent and Coachin (7722)
Disturbing comments (3012)
2015 schedule is bru (2200)
UF lets Durkin go (1986)
2015 Early Enrollees (1602)
**USC Women vs. Hamp (1059)
SOS...a day late &am (1021)
The U ends apparel d (669)
Bobo to Colorado St? (656)
Keeping it all in pe (349)
2015 Commitment - Dexter
2015 - Ulric Jones
2014-15 Early Enrollees
2015 schedule is brutal
2015 Commitment - Dante S
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
2015 Commitment - Ernest
QB Next Season?
Gerald Turner


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #101
ReadR00ster
Banned
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 9,864
CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
So if none of this matters why do you so vigorously object to it?

If winning doesn't matter, why does Tennessee spend $2 million a year on recruiting? Why did their athletic department end up in huge debt after their football team started underperforming? Coincidence?

Do you actually believe this stuff you're saying? Or are you just arguing because you enjoy college football the way it is and don't want it to change?
More money = better the university. No one is arguing that money is not a factor. All anyone is saying is that universities don't owe college athletes jack squat. They aren't aren't employees. They are volunteers. They are like interns. They are not owed any thing. They doing this for experience and exposure and coaching and to sweeten the pot they kindly agree to to pay for the education of some of these kids. Yeah, they want to win. Yeah they want to make money? So what? That doesn't create some kind of obligation to pay their volunteers.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #102
ReadR00ster
Banned
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 9,864
CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I just don't understand this line of thinking. This could be a win/win proposition. Look at the money that could be made by all parties involved. Take EA Sports NCAA Football for eaxample. There is huge demand for the game, but it looks to be discontinued because the NCAA and major conferences can't remove their head from their hind quarters. As it stands now you have huge demand and no supply for future games. No one will make any money off of it because the NCAA want to be stubborn a$$es. Let the players make a little money off their image rights, it's going to end up benefitting everyone and all of us dumbass sports fans will gladly pay for it all when we get to play a new version of NCAA Football and it actually has our favorite players names on their uniforms without having to search around for player name files.
The NCAA can't stop anyone from collecting on their rights to get paid. All they can do is not let athletes participate in NCAA athletics. So if money is more important to them, then by all means go get paid, just don't expect to keep playing college sports. It's their choice. They are not giving up their right to get paid, they are giving up their perfectly waivable status an eligible student-athlete when they do. And the NCAA will find ways to make money, game or no game. And I'm sure they will probably find away around having to pay people for the generic images the people are saying are images of them.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 03-20-2014 at 04:28 PM.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #103
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER
 
GamecockUltimate's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Club Fields
Posts: 5,432
CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
You're right- it wasn't overtly racist, just subtly racist (or subconsciously perhaps)
You realize there are white bag boys right? In fact you realize there is probably a high percentage of white bag boys, its a good first two years of college job
__________________

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #104
taylorssc
Banned
 
taylorssc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,683
CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
You realize there are white bag boys right? In fact you realize there is probably a high percentage of white bag boys, its a good first two years of college job
He's off kicking his can right now. Don't know that he'll be back to answer questions in this thread.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #105
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
I know the answer. You obviously don't. Looking it up will do you some good. You need to learn a lesson here buddy.

First off- since we're talking about revenue generating athletics, I'm not sure why you're trying to bring in any athletes outside of D1 football. I suspect it's to support your argument.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #106
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Yep. I wanted 3MTA3 to post it, but I knew he wouldn't.

There's your "overwhelming majority"... 4% difference. You racist.

When you compare that number to the makeup of student bodies, it is staggering and disproportionate.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #107
taylorssc
Banned
 
taylorssc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,683
CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
First off- since we're talking about revenue generating athletics, I'm not sure why you're trying to bring in any athletes outside of D1 football. I suspect it's to support your argument.
You're doing a great job supporting my argument for me. Please, go on..
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #108
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
He's off kicking his can right now. Don't know that he'll be back to answer questions in this thread.

Nah, I've been working. At this moment I am taking a brief 5 minute break.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #109
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
You're doing a great job supporting my argument for me. Please, go on..

I did go on.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #110
taylorssc
Banned
 
taylorssc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,683
CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
When you compare that number to the makeup of student bodies, it is staggering and disproportionate.
That has zero to do with your original statement. You're moving the goalposts here.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #111
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
You're doing a great job supporting my argument for me. Please, go on..

Since you're so passionate about this issue, maybe you could tell us why you assume that, if a D1 football player were not afforded that opportunity, their only recourse would be a minimum wage job?

Maybe then we could get to the crux of your original assessment.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #112
taylorssc
Banned
 
taylorssc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,683
CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Nah, I've been working. At this moment I am taking a brief 5 minute break.
Im working too. I make my own work schedule, it's a nice arrangement.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #113
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
That has zero to do with your original statement. You're moving the goalposts here.

OK. I made an assumption about your original assessment. If my assumption was wrong, then that's on me, and I'm man enough to admit I was wrong. But that can only be determined once you clarify what your basis was for the original assessment was regarding D1 football players having to work a minimum wage job if they didn't play football.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #114
taylorssc
Banned
 
taylorssc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,683
CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Since you're so passionate about this issue, maybe you could tell us why you assume that, if a D1 football player were not afforded that opportunity, their only recourse would be a minimum wage job?

Maybe then we could get to the crux of your original assessment.
Take it for what it is. I don't owe you any explanation.

You've made some piss poor assumptions here. Your reading comprehension is suspect at best, but I'm sure that's not the first time you've been told that. Just watch yourself next time your throw out the word racism.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #115
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned
 
Spurrier_Superior_One's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cola, The Other Gamecock City
Posts: 22,968
CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Let me ask just one question why are people so pissed off at the NCAA and Universities when the NFL and NBA are the ones who are denying players to go pro right out of high school, the NCAA hasn't put the 3 years out of HS for football and 1 year out of HS for basketball. The NCAA and Universities aren't the villain it is the pro leagues, people need to point their anger at the right people.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #116
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Take it for what it is. I don't owe you any explanation.



You've made some piss poor assumptions here. Your reading comprehension is suspect at best, but I'm sure that's not the first time you've been told that. Just watch yourself next time your throw out the word racism.

Ok I will take it for what it is; you assume that any given D1 football player would not be able to offer anything aside from minimum wage effort to society if they were not playing football.

And you talk shit about my assumption. LOL.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #117
803scdantes
2nd Team All-SEC
 
803scdantes's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeast Columbia
Posts: 2,698
CockyCash: 200
803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Free education for all doesn't matter. Also private schools also charge admissions, should those HS players be compensated. Are you saying if colleges didn't charge money to go there, than the athletes wouldn't deserve a paycheck? Seems like a bad argument.
You're missing the point. You weren't receiving free school in return for your participation in high school sports. College players are. If colleges didn't charge anything, then they'd be true amateurs as they wouldn't be compensated AT ALL for their participation. Once we realize that they are, in fact, being paid something for their playing sports, we can debate whether it is sufficient.
__________________
34-17; 29-7; 34-13; 27-17; 31-17
803scdantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #118
DJCatfish
Recruit
 
DJCatfish's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 195
CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudlyDJCatfish is crowing loudly
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Take it for what it is. I don't owe you any explanation.

You've made some piss poor assumptions here. Your reading comprehension is suspect at best, but I'm sure that's not the first time you've been told that. Just watch yourself next time your throw out the word racism.
You said a particular person -- who you seemed to know nothing about except that he is a black football player for Clemson -- would be bagging your groceries if it weren't for college football. You assumed that about Martin Jenkins.

I mean, I am giving you some credit here. I'm going out on a limb and assuming you didn't know he was an honor roll kid with an NFL/investment advisor dad. If you did know those things and still concluded he would be a grocery bagger, well, then I guess you're just dumber than I even thought (although dumb is probably better than elitist/racist).
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #119
taylorssc
Banned
 
taylorssc's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greenville
Posts: 2,683
CockyCash: 200
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
You said a particular person -- who you seemed to know nothing about except that he is a black football player for Clemson -- would be bagging your groceries if it weren't for college football. You assumed that about Martin Jenkins.

I mean, I am giving you some credit here. I'm going out on a limb and assuming you didn't know he was an honor roll kid with an NFL/investment advisor dad. If you did know those things and still concluded he would be a grocery bagger, well, then I guess you're just dumber than I even thought (although dumb is probably better than elitist/racist).
Give it up. You're wrong. It's over.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #120
ReadR00ster
Banned
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 9,864
CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
You're missing the point. You weren't receiving free school in return for your participation in high school sports. College players are. If colleges didn't charge anything, then they'd be true amateurs as they wouldn't be compensated AT ALL for their participation. Once we realize that they are, in fact, being paid something for their playing sports, we can debate whether it is sufficient.
The free school is not compensation. It's a gift. We are running around in circles.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development