CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
b381l
cocksmith1or11
Gamecocks1137
Regalcock
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
The Comeback & T (613)
Simple "yes&quo (558)
ESPN Game Day Commen (511)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (434)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (395)
TeMarcus Blanton (327)
An A to Z of Noah We (297)
Phil Steele just pre (184)
Wallpaper & Back (180)
Simple "yes" or
Name a Gamecock
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Phil Steele just predicte
Who start on the d line t
Why I think we beat Aubur
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Garcia: Change the Rules

Old 03-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #101
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
So if none of this matters why do you so vigorously object to it?

If winning doesn't matter, why does Tennessee spend $2 million a year on recruiting? Why did their athletic department end up in huge debt after their football team started underperforming? Coincidence?

Do you actually believe this stuff you're saying? Or are you just arguing because you enjoy college football the way it is and don't want it to change?
More money = better the university. No one is arguing that money is not a factor. All anyone is saying is that universities don't owe college athletes jack squat. They aren't aren't employees. They are volunteers. They are like interns. They are not owed any thing. They doing this for experience and exposure and coaching and to sweeten the pot they kindly agree to to pay for the education of some of these kids. Yeah, they want to win. Yeah they want to make money? So what? That doesn't create some kind of obligation to pay their volunteers.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #102
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I just don't understand this line of thinking. This could be a win/win proposition. Look at the money that could be made by all parties involved. Take EA Sports NCAA Football for eaxample. There is huge demand for the game, but it looks to be discontinued because the NCAA and major conferences can't remove their head from their hind quarters. As it stands now you have huge demand and no supply for future games. No one will make any money off of it because the NCAA want to be stubborn a$$es. Let the players make a little money off their image rights, it's going to end up benefitting everyone and all of us dumbass sports fans will gladly pay for it all when we get to play a new version of NCAA Football and it actually has our favorite players names on their uniforms without having to search around for player name files.
The NCAA can't stop anyone from collecting on their rights to get paid. All they can do is not let athletes participate in NCAA athletics. So if money is more important to them, then by all means go get paid, just don't expect to keep playing college sports. It's their choice. They are not giving up their right to get paid, they are giving up their perfectly waivable status an eligible student-athlete when they do. And the NCAA will find ways to make money, game or no game. And I'm sure they will probably find away around having to pay people for the generic images the people are saying are images of them.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 03-20-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #103
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
You're right- it wasn't overtly racist, just subtly racist (or subconsciously perhaps)
You realize there are white bag boys right? In fact you realize there is probably a high percentage of white bag boys, its a good first two years of college job

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #104
taylorssc
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
You realize there are white bag boys right? In fact you realize there is probably a high percentage of white bag boys, its a good first two years of college job
He's off kicking his can right now. Don't know that he'll be back to answer questions in this thread.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #105
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
I know the answer. You obviously don't. Looking it up will do you some good. You need to learn a lesson here buddy.

First off- since we're talking about revenue generating athletics, I'm not sure why you're trying to bring in any athletes outside of D1 football. I suspect it's to support your argument.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #106
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yep. I wanted 3MTA3 to post it, but I knew he wouldn't.

There's your "overwhelming majority"... 4% difference. You racist.

When you compare that number to the makeup of student bodies, it is staggering and disproportionate.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #107
taylorssc
Bowl MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
First off- since we're talking about revenue generating athletics, I'm not sure why you're trying to bring in any athletes outside of D1 football. I suspect it's to support your argument.
You're doing a great job supporting my argument for me. Please, go on..
Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #108
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
He's off kicking his can right now. Don't know that he'll be back to answer questions in this thread.

Nah, I've been working. At this moment I am taking a brief 5 minute break.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #109
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

I did go on.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #110
taylorssc
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
When you compare that number to the makeup of student bodies, it is staggering and disproportionate.
That has zero to do with your original statement. You're moving the goalposts here.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #111
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

Since you're so passionate about this issue, maybe you could tell us why you assume that, if a D1 football player were not afforded that opportunity, their only recourse would be a minimum wage job?

Maybe then we could get to the crux of your original assessment.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #112
taylorssc
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Nah, I've been working. At this moment I am taking a brief 5 minute break.
Im working too. I make my own work schedule, it's a nice arrangement.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #113
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
That has zero to do with your original statement. You're moving the goalposts here.

OK. I made an assumption about your original assessment. If my assumption was wrong, then that's on me, and I'm man enough to admit I was wrong. But that can only be determined once you clarify what your basis was for the original assessment was regarding D1 football players having to work a minimum wage job if they didn't play football.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #114
taylorssc
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Since you're so passionate about this issue, maybe you could tell us why you assume that, if a D1 football player were not afforded that opportunity, their only recourse would be a minimum wage job?

Maybe then we could get to the crux of your original assessment.
Take it for what it is. I don't owe you any explanation.

You've made some piss poor assumptions here. Your reading comprehension is suspect at best, but I'm sure that's not the first time you've been told that. Just watch yourself next time your throw out the word racism.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #115
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Let me ask just one question why are people so pissed off at the NCAA and Universities when the NFL and NBA are the ones who are denying players to go pro right out of high school, the NCAA hasn't put the 3 years out of HS for football and 1 year out of HS for basketball. The NCAA and Universities aren't the villain it is the pro leagues, people need to point their anger at the right people.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #116
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:

You've made some piss poor assumptions here. Your reading comprehension is suspect at best, but I'm sure that's not the first time you've been told that. Just watch yourself next time your throw out the word racism.

Ok I will take it for what it is; you assume that any given D1 football player would not be able to offer anything aside from minimum wage effort to society if they were not playing football.

And you talk shit about my assumption. LOL.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #117
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Free education for all doesn't matter. Also private schools also charge admissions, should those HS players be compensated. Are you saying if colleges didn't charge money to go there, than the athletes wouldn't deserve a paycheck? Seems like a bad argument.
You're missing the point. You weren't receiving free school in return for your participation in high school sports. College players are. If colleges didn't charge anything, then they'd be true amateurs as they wouldn't be compensated AT ALL for their participation. Once we realize that they are, in fact, being paid something for their playing sports, we can debate whether it is sufficient.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #118
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

Quote:

You said a particular person -- who you seemed to know nothing about except that he is a black football player for Clemson -- would be bagging your groceries if it weren't for college football. You assumed that about Martin Jenkins.

I mean, I am giving you some credit here. I'm going out on a limb and assuming you didn't know he was an honor roll kid with an NFL/investment advisor dad. If you did know those things and still concluded he would be a grocery bagger, well, then I guess you're just dumber than I even thought (although dumb is probably better than elitist/racist).
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #119
taylorssc
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
You said a particular person -- who you seemed to know nothing about except that he is a black football player for Clemson -- would be bagging your groceries if it weren't for college football. You assumed that about Martin Jenkins.

I mean, I am giving you some credit here. I'm going out on a limb and assuming you didn't know he was an honor roll kid with an NFL/investment advisor dad. If you did know those things and still concluded he would be a grocery bagger, well, then I guess you're just dumber than I even thought (although dumb is probably better than elitist/racist).
Give it up. You're wrong. It's over.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #120
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
You're missing the point. You weren't receiving free school in return for your participation in high school sports. College players are. If colleges didn't charge anything, then they'd be true amateurs as they wouldn't be compensated AT ALL for their participation. Once we realize that they are, in fact, being paid something for their playing sports, we can debate whether it is sufficient.
The free school is not compensation. It's a gift. We are running around in circles.