CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GH
b381l
Mt. Lattimore
jrussjr
RGHoskins
ConwayGamecock
BeatBamaTwice
davisd9
sporkgod50
JerseyBird
Musburger/Palmer to (1450)
Shaq R. (1306)
Dustin Johnson takin (1282)
1st practice tonight (1234)
I'm in the Atlanta a (1002)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (724)
We don't have a prac (432)
weather in columbia (431)
Overrated and Underr (364)
Donell Stanley injur (328)
Backup QB competition
Re-Airing South Carolina
Could we see 3 QBs on the
1st practice tonight
We don't have a practice
Official SEC Network and
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Lebron James Going to Cav
Dustin Johnson taking a l

Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
ipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPitipull4usc rules the CockPit
Default What Does It Feel Like to Win a MBB NCAA Tournament Game?

Any old timers on the board who could provide insight into what it feels like to win a game and advance in the Big Dance? I've never experienced that feeling in my life, and I'd like to before I die. This is a serious question, not a swipe at our basketball program. March Madness is my favorite sporting event all year, but it's also extremely despressing. I'd love to hear about the excitement back in the early 70s.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
jesse james
4-Star

Male

jesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spurs
Default Re: What Does It Feel Like to Win a MBB NCAA Tournament Game?

Sadly, even the great McGuire teams in the 70s didn't make any noise at tournament time. Of course, our best team (1970) went 25-3 and 14-0 in the ACC didnt even make the NCAA tournament because only the conference tournament champion got a bid to the NCAA tourney.

The NCAA changed the rule the next year I beleive, but of course we won the ACC tournement in 1971 and got a first round bye. We lost to Pennsylvania the 2nd round (which was the Sweet 16 back then, because the NCAA only took 24 teams).

We won our first round games in 1972 and 1973, but lost in the 2nd round (Sweet 16) both years.

We'v only been to the NCAA tournament 5 times since then (74, 89, 97, 98, and 04) and we lost in the first round each year.

jesse james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
jesse james
4-Star

Male

jesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spursjesse james has earned his spurs

Funny - we have made the Sweet 16 three times, but we have only won two NCAA tournament games . . . ever.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 220685
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Richmond "F*%#ing" Spiders.
Ugh.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Legalman72
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 19718410
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Richmond "F*%#ing" Spiders.
Ugh.
That was a trap by the committee. Played in Richmond!

Fang fawking Mitchell is who I lose sleep over.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudly

Coppin State was the worst one!!!! Richmond pales in comparison to that
JohnnyR2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudlyPty23 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 View Post
This. We beat Kentucky twice that year as well as Cincy (who were ranked way up there) and many pundits thought we had a good chance to make the Final Four. Then... Coppin State happened.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Was born a UNC fan (unfortunately) and they won 2 titles. Pretty cool i guess.

And i stopped when i began school in Columbia since im sure someone will think im a bandwagoner.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
Was born a UNC fan (unfortunately) and they won 2 titles. Pretty cool i guess.

And i stopped when i began school in Columbia since im sure someone will think im a bandwagoner.
I understand completely.

Grew up pulling for them and Winthrop. UNC has definitely dropped down the list since going to USC, but I still pull for Winthrop (as long as they aren't playing us). I could give perspective from the mid-major standpoint, but it's not a good comparison to the power conference standpoint.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
Cruzer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 855
Cruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talonsCruzer has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyR2211 View Post
If I recall Coppin State beat us twice.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Old 03-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
If I recall Coppin State beat us twice.
No, just once, in 1997.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
splinters
Recruit

Male

splinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervoussplinters is making other chickens nervous

We were the #2 seed and Coppin was the #15
splinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

Here's a good site, guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...arbyyear/index

You can click on the bracket link for any year and see teams and results.

Anybody remember Furman in 1974? I do! I believe our last NCAA Tourney win was 1973. YIKES!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
I understand completely.

Grew up pulling for them and Winthrop. UNC has definitely dropped down the list since going to USC, but I still pull for Winthrop (as long as they aren't playing us). I could give perspective from the mid-major standpoint, but it's not a good comparison to the power conference standpoint.
yea youll never find me rooting for UNC these days lol. I was even pulling for duke when they played
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
yea youll never find me rooting for UNC these days lol. I was even pulling for duke when they played
Can't go that far. While I don't like UNC nearly as much as I used to, my hatred of Duke persists. Duke is on the same level as Clemson for me.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
jesse james
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
Anybody remember Furman in 1974?
Unfortunately - Yes. But that was not as bad as our opening round loss to Pennsylvania right after beating UNC for the ACC Championship in 71.

It was technically the 2nd round of the tournament - which as I pointed out above was the Sweet 16 back then - but we had a first round bye that year, so it was still our first game of the tournament . . .

Last edited by jesse james; 03-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
jesse james
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
I believe our last NCAA Tourney win was 1973. YIKES!
Yes it was (we lost in the 2nd round - Sweet 16 - to eventual national runner-up Memphis).

Our "opening round" losses have included Pennsylvania in 71, Furman in 74, NC State in 89, Coppin St in 97, Richmond in 98, and Memphis in 2004.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I remember listening to the Coppin State loss on the radio. Just terrible.

Basketball hasn't been much since then...except for my years in college whenever we won the NIT twice. Although it's a shit tourney, that last second shot by Kinsey sinking made the bar I was in erupt like we had won the national championship.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Speaking of Tarence Kinsey...

...does anyone remember that song by 50 Cent called "Candy Shop"? Where he talks about letting a female lick his lollipop? Tarence Kinsey dates the girl who provided vocals in that song.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote