CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
kingofnerf
Gamecocks1137
GarnetSwarm1990
Sandstorm29
WeStillOwnUSC
Absfract
MWard
Wilds & Carson B (2357)
Marquavius Lewis (2019)
So, why is next year (1927)
How Long Will The Re (1270)
Restaurant musts in (963)
Why do so many of yo (761)
Shot in the arm for (698)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (642)
Custom Jersey (279)
Abu Bowl Ready (188)
2015 - Mark Fields
2015 - Cedarius Rookard
2015 Commitment - Dante S
Marquavius Lewis
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10"
2015 Signee - Ulric Jones
So, why is next year goin
Why do so many of you guy
The Vent and Coaching cha
Custom Jersey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #141
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good
 
Antiochus's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blythewood
Posts: 1,005
CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
First, I think that is stupid rulings by the courts.

Second, what I see happening, if these rulings were to apply to college sports, is them removing scholarships and just paying the value of the tuition to the players. So basically, if you go to Notre Dame that cost 50k a year, you get a check for 50k not a free education. Then the athletes can decided to either use it towards their tuition or not. However, this will actually hurt the athlete more than their current setup. Now they'd be forced to pay taxes on it and likely not leave school with no debt.

There is no way they are going to give the kids a 10k a year stipend on top of scholarships. Also the kids aren't really complaining about having another $100 a week, they want to be able to live like the athletes they see on TV. They will always want more. I still don't know how anyone can argue these guys are so poor when so many of them have 1000's of dollars of tattoos on their bodies. Seems to me like they need to learn to budget their money or not complain about it.
I feel like those who are arguing for paying players are arguing for the end of college football. It would open to many cans of worms. I don't see how you can argue that players are owed something above what they already get without having it apply to former players as well. Furthermore, many schools don't get the big time tv revenue. A lot of schools won't be able to afford it. Players are not magically owed something because some arbitrary revenue threshold has been reached.
__________________

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #142
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
I feel like those who are arguing for paying players are arguing for the end of college football.

I disagree. I have more confidence in the passion this country has for college football.

In a cheesy reference to a Jeff Goldblum line (mainly cause I read a Goldblum AMA last night)..."life (or college football), um...finds a way"

Just because YOU can't envision what that way would look like doesn't mean it couldn't.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #143
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American
 
Lalli25's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Centreville, Va
Posts: 8,021
CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
I feel like those who are arguing for paying players are arguing for the end of college football. It would open to many cans of worms. I don't see how you can argue that players are owed something above what they already get without having it apply to former players as well. Furthermore, many schools don't get the big time tv revenue. A lot of schools won't be able to afford it. Players are not magically owed something because some arbitrary revenue threshold has been reached.
It would completely destroy college football as we know it. If anything is to change, some private group should make a minor league and give players the same option that baseball players get. I do not believe you need the top level athlete to get people to watch college football. If that was the case, no one would watch football outside of the NFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
I disagree. I have more confidence in the passion this country has for college football.

In a cheesy reference to a Jeff Goldblum line (mainly cause I read a Goldblum AMA last night)..."life (or college football), um...finds a way"

Just because YOU can't envision what that way would look like doesn't mean it couldn't.
It isn't the passion that would leave but the fact that college's could not afford to continue having football teams.
__________________
Lalli25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #144
3MTA3
Game MVP
 
3MTA3's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SEC Country
Posts: 1,505
CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clemson DB Sues NCAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
It would completely destroy college football as we know it. If anything is to change, some private group should make a minor league and give players the same option that baseball players get. I do not believe you need the top level athlete to get people to watch college football. If that was the case, no one would watch football outside of the NFL.



It isn't the passion that would leave but the fact that college's could not afford to continue having football teams.

That is only your opinion.

It is my opinion that you and I cannot project out a structure for the sport using current systemic considerations.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development