CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
spareparts
johnnyb
Aggie96
SuperCockMaster
jebodiah
Master Bedroom
Spurticus
WeStillOwnUSC
75CarolinaFan
Devonte Holloman Ret (2608)
JD & DJ Getting (1167)
I have not bought in (1117)
Aggie looking forwar (1115)
Article on Shaw & (1091)
Cockaboose Owners (1020)
and the #1 2014 acc (902)
I'm thinking we're g (789)
SEC East QB's Ranked (732)
Clemson OT to transf (537)
Article on Shaw & the
Aggie looking forward to
I have not bought into ou
and the #1 2014 acc must
Clemson OT to transfer
Stubhub tickets for a&
Kentucky Tickets
wbb - Ibiam & Welch p
SEC East QB's Ranked
Come and get your Johnny

Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #241
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC vs. Kentucky GAME #3 Thread**

from twitter:
John Whittle ‏@johnmwhittle
Grayson Greiner has a thumb injury that is going to linger for most of the season. Hurts on swings and misses and foul balls.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #242
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Efff
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #243
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
You mean him and Koop right ??
Yep Wynkoop...I still had Widener on the mind: forgot he was a 2-way player, and was wondering what he was doing DH-ing for us lol....
Old 03-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #244
Wingman
Gamecock baseball fan

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPitWingman rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
from twitter:
Grayson Greiner has a thumb injury that is going to linger for most of the season. Hurts on swings and misses and foul balls.
Throwing or mitt hand?

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #245
Ace Dilcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 680
Ace Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his comb

Gotta say it - bunting has cost us a lot of games. I am not saying that we need to improve on our bunting - I am saying that 90% of the time when we bunt, it is a stupid, stupid, stupid call. When you are successful it still results in an out. Bunting eliminates a chance at a big inning and is a conservative, defeatist decision.

First and second with no outs is an automatic bunt for us. The pitcher is on the ropes and you let him off the hook with the first out - if the execution is good. The pitcher does not have to worry about throwing strikes - the batter is going to try to bunt if it is anywhere close. Too often, the lead runner is thrown out, or the bunt is popped up, or we get in a two strike hole and we have to swing away without the ability to be selective. if successful, it avoids a double play, but the pitcher can pitch selectively to the next batter with an open base - a walk reinstates the double play, which now ends the inning. This has cost us a lot of games - Saturday's game might have been a W if we had not bunted in the 8th. Dumb, just dumb.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #246
aftertwobowls
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1577100
aftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot materialaftertwobowls is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Throwing or mitt hand?
It's his left mitt hand.
aftertwobowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #247
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
from twitter:
Don't miss and don't foul...piece of cake!

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #248
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

I wonder if the injury happened on that swing ad miss or if it's something he's been dealing with
Old 03-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #249
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
5-3

Thank you!!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #250
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Andy Demetra ‏@GamecockRadio Mincey and Seddon are giving off a strong Taylor/Price vibe. 29.1 combined IP, 0 runs, 9H, 7 BB, 44 K.
Let's keep it going! That was one of the if not THE best BP combo we've had...great work from Cody and Joel!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #251
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Gotta say it - bunting has cost us a lot of games. I am not saying that we need to improve on our bunting - I am saying that 90% of the time when we bunt, it is a stupid, stupid, stupid call. When you are successful it still results in an out. Bunting eliminates a chance at a big inning and is a conservative, defeatist decision.

First and second with no outs is an automatic bunt for us. The pitcher is on the ropes and you let him off the hook with the first out - if the execution is good. The pitcher does not have to worry about throwing strikes - the batter is going to try to bunt if it is anywhere close. Too often, the lead runner is thrown out, or the bunt is popped up, or we get in a two strike hole and we have to swing away without the ability to be selective. if successful, it avoids a double play, but the pitcher can pitch selectively to the next batter with an open base - a walk reinstates the double play, which now ends the inning. This has cost us a lot of games - Saturday's game might have been a W if we had not bunted in the 8th. Dumb, just dumb.

I think the bunts only hurt us when they aren't executed correctly. How many times have we seen good teams move runners up and score on us in the past? We just have to get our guys to excecute better. A sac bunt with no outs to move the runners to second and third is a lot better than a strike out or a double play.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #252
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

After all this, USC is still in a tie for the lead in the SEC-East, with Vanderbilt, UT, UK, and UF lol....
Old 03-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #253
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Outside of Tanner English we need to quit bunting unless we need it late it the game down 1 or 2. It cost us the Super Regional last year and it has killed us this year. Holbrook bunts so much it would even make Ray Tanner and Bobby Cox blush.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #254
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
Outside of Tanner English we need to quit bunting unless we need it late it the game down 1 or 2. It cost us the Super Regional last year and it has killed us this year. Holbrook bunts so much it would even make Ray Tanner and Bobby Cox blush.
I remember Pankake bunting with two men on at the beginning of Game 2 against UNC last year. At that time, I never wanted to see another bunt again.
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #255
Ace Dilcock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 680
Ace Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his combAce Dilcock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think the bunts only hurt us when they aren't executed correctly. How many times have we seen good teams move runners up and score on us in the past? We just have to get our guys to excecute better. A sac bunt with no outs to move the runners to second and third is a lot better than a strike out or a double play.
The problem is not execution (although that is one of many negatives of bunting). The problem is that it is a bad percentage play because even a successful bunt results in an out. Sure, advancing the runner is better than a strike out or double play. But a good team gets a hit about one out of every three at-bats, which will usually score a runner from second. A bunt takes away one of those at-bats. Plus, other good things can happen when you don't give up an out. You could get on via a walk, an error, or you could make advance the runners even if you make an out. Bunting is good only as an aggressive surprise move, like when English bunts for a hit.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #256
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Did we win? I'm in California and can't tell.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #257
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

We won 8-3 I think
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #258
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfan1 View Post
We won 8-3 I think
sweet thanks for the score.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #259
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post

I see what you are saying, but look at it like this. By bunting with the force out still in play, you essentially take out the chance that the defense can turn a double play. You sacrifice that run to move two guys into scoring position AND you take away their opportunity to get out of the jam with a double play. It's actually smart, efficient baseball. You are playing the odds that one of your next two batters will get one to the outfield, hopefully a hit, but a deep enough fly out will still score a run. "Small ball"
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #260
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly

We didn't lose because we bunted.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote