CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
18IsTheMan
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
eightohhthree
highstick
ccured
TheUSCMike
behindenemylines
SpurProsecutor
Tood Gurley: My hats (4847)
"It just hurts, (3538)
Brandon Wilds (3141)
#24 to ? (2779)
Alan Knott=beast (2504)
Shout out to JT Surr (2409)
Don't underestimate (1780)
The Refs (1514)
AP Poll (1320)
Spurrier's newest vi (1164)
A tribute to the "th
AP Poll
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Darius Slayton
"It just hurts, man!
Shon Carson
A UGA fans view of the ga
Don't underestimate Vande
Stadium atmosphere
Worse 1st and goal play:

Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
Carolinafan8908
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talonsCarolinafan8908 has developed his gaff and talons
Default 8 or 9 SEC games?

I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's thoughts on whether or not to stay with 8 SEC games, or move to 9. Coach Spurrier supports those who wish to stay with an 8 game system. Playing two teams from the West, one permanent, one rotating annually. I have the up most respect for Coach Spurrier, but I support a 9 game SEC schedule. I think it would make the season that much more exciting. Also, speaking as a season ticket holder, it gives one the chance to see more SEC stadiums in a shorter amount of time. Those against 9 games don't like the idea of having 4 home SEC games and 5 away SEC games. But everyone in the SEC would have that burden to bear, not just Our Gamecocks! I think it would be for the good of our University and our conference! In 1992 when the SEC expanded to 12 teams and we joined, every SEC coach was against the SEC Title Game. They said it would water down the sport or keep a team out of the National Championship Game. Since the SEC title game was created, 10 teams from the SEC have won National Championships. So they were WRONG. It made college football even better. And has become the 2nd biggest and 2nd most important game in college football only behind the National Championship Game. I think a 9th SEC game like the creation of the SEC title game in 1992 will only enhance the greatness of the SEC!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly
Default Re: 8 or 9 SEC games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinafan8908 View Post
I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's thoughts on whether or not to stay with 8 SEC games, or move to 9. Coach Spurrier supports those who wish to stay with an 8 game system. Playing two teams from the West, one permanent, one rotating annually. I have the up most respect for Coach Spurrier, but I support a 9 game SEC schedule. I think it would make the season that much more exciting. Also, speaking as a season ticket holder, it gives one the chance to see more SEC stadiums in a shorter amount of time. Those against 9 games don't like the idea of having 4 home SEC games and 5 away SEC games. But everyone in the SEC would have that burden to bear, not just Our Gamecocks! I think it would be for the good of our University and our conference! In 1992 when the SEC expanded to 12 teams and we joined, every SEC coach was against the SEC Title Game. They said it would water down the sport or keep a team out of the National Championship Game. Since the SEC title game was created, 10 teams from the SEC have won National Championships. So they were WRONG. It made college football even better. And has become the 2nd biggest and 2nd most important game in college football only behind the National Championship Game. I think a 9th SEC game like the creation of the SEC title game in 1992 will only enhance the greatness of the SEC!
I have often thought about this as well. However I would rather see SEC schools schedule GOOD out of conference games instead of schools such as Wofford , SC State etc. . I would like to have the chance to see us play a Oregon, Southern Cal. or a Michigan knowing that in the next couple of years we will be seeing our Western Division counterparts in conference play. I vote to keep the 8 game conference schedule. But I do see your point.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

I believe that the only reason we play the likes of Wofford, SC State, etc is because it is mandated by the State Legislature. I think it is their way of helping those schools out with a big pay out. I may be wrong but if I am, I am sure someone else will let us know.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
I believe that the only reason we play the likes of Wofford, SC State, etc is because it is mandated by the State Legislature. I think it is their way of helping those schools out with a big pay out. I may be wrong but if I am, I am sure someone else will let us know.
It may very well be. I have always heard there was something to that nature for us to play Klimpsun but have never heard of it for the smaller schools.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

We have played UAB and Florida Atlantic in the past 5 years or so (probably others as well) that I would like see us not schedule. I do not like to pay for those tickets as a season ticket holder I would much rather see a good match-up.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
treyno2722
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 918
treyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his clawstreyno2722 is sharpening his claws

I won't comment on the 8 or 9 SEC games but I never liked it when they went to 12 games. There are so many terrible games in college football now. You would have to look a long time to find 5 interesting match-ups on any given week before conference play begins. With college football being the cash cow that it is, they will never go back to 11 games.
treyno2722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I like the option for having 9 SEC games. Our players still have the same odds of getting hurt against a Coastal Carolina or Mississippi State. Miss St might have a better shot at beating us than Coastal, but we shouldn't let competition scare us. Also, we do a good job of selling tickets for FCS and OCC games, but the SEC games will bring us more money (part of the new SEC Network deal.)

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

I want 11 SEC games. SEC SEC SEC!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
I doubt it. This has been said bout the Carolina -Clem game. But I have never seen proof. This takes it a step further. The games against wofford and Furman and the like started while Hyman was AD. He said it was good to keep some of the money in state at the smaller school. I don' think there was ever a law involved.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

And I would prefer to 9 SEC games.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #11
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

I say 9 games so Auburn moves into the SEC East! WOOO
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #12
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
I say 9 games so Auburn moves into the SEC East! WOOO
Are we going to go with two permanent division rivals?, because that is the only way this works. No way BAMA gives up UT each year if AU moves over. The only way this happens is if UT is traded for AU. Although I wouldn't mind if BAMA would be the only school in the conference with two perm rivals :P Wouldn't have to face them as much:). I think it's best to get two more schools and break into 4 divisions. Put BAMA, AU, UGA, and UT in one division when that happens the problem is solved.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #13
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

There are a lot of great matchups that are not played each year. 9 would have more good games, and some not so good games too.

This coming year Bama - Sc, LSU - SC, Bama - UGA, UF-Auburn, UGA-LSU, are among the games that won't be played this year.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

9 SEC games. Hell, that's why we got in the SEC, to play the best teams in the best conference.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

The more the better, we haven't been able to win the East much with 8.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #16
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Some people just do not want to give up UAB or ECU for Alabama or LSU.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:24 AM   #17
Harry Cock
Recruit

Male

Harry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his clawsHarry Cock is sharpening his claws

When the playoffs expand I'm all for 9 games
Harry Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #18
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

I dont want another SEC school I want a big school out of conference. Like Southern Cal, Oregon, Texas, etc.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
I dont want another SEC school I want a big school out of conference. Like Southern Cal, Oregon, Texas, etc.
This. I'd rather play Texas than Coastal. Plus it would help with SOS especially with the playoffs
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote