CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Acockolypse Now
MACXIMVS
b381l
uscjeremynca
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
Spurticus
Lonnie
auslander
Blake McClain (1176)
What ever happened t (1027)
Fall Camp. (604)
The Believer - Spurr (447)
Clowney's Madden Rat (345)
This is why I gave u (324)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (297)
Daily Dose of Food P (275)
2016 - B.J. Emmons (267)
Ebola Outbreak (231)
Tupelo Honey Cafe
2014-15 Premier League se
Backup QB competition
Ranking the SEC Female Fa
2014 Preseason USA Today/
Ranking the SEC Stadium A
2015 Commitment - A.J. Tu
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Zack Bailey
Hello Gamecocks!

Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb
Default Re: What Does It Feel Like to Win a MBB NCAA Tournament Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
Can't go that far. While I don't like UNC nearly as much as I used to, my hatred of Duke persists. Duke is on the same level as Clemson for me.
I do love me some Duke basketball!!!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #22
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
Haha, something tells me you're in a sad place right now.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:27 PM   #23
CocksB2BChamps24
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 800
CocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot materialCocksB2BChamps24 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CocksB2BChamps24

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
That's gotta suck experiencing your team losing as a 2 seed and a 3 seed in back to back seasons... Twice.

3-0 in Eath Valley.
1996. 2010. 2012.
CocksB2BChamps24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #24
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipull4usc View Post
Any old timers on the board who could provide insight into what it feels like to win a game and advance in the Big Dance? I've never experienced that feeling in my life, and I'd like to before I die. This is a serious question, not a swipe at our basketball program. March Madness is my favorite sporting event all year, but it's also extremely despressing. I'd love to hear about the excitement back in the early 70s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse james View Post
Funny - we have made the Sweet 16 three times, but we have only won two NCAA tournament games . . . ever.

It is an absolutely ridiculous thing to contemplate - our futility in college basketball.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #25
B-G
Game MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocksB2BChamps24 View Post
That's gotta suck experiencing your team losing as a 2 seed and a 3 seed in back to back seasons... Twice.
Huh?
Duke went to the elite 8 last year.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #26
JohnnyR2211
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 756
JohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudlyJohnnyR2211 is crowing loudly

That happened to South Carolina, Duke had a year in between.
JohnnyR2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #27
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Cheer up, guys. Frank is getting this train on the right tracks. Looking back and seeing just how long it's been since we even had a shot at winning a Tourney game and it's obvious to me that we are that much closer to living the dream. Look how long it had been since we won a SEC road game before this season. Now, look how long it had been since we won a SEC Tourney game...you get what I'm saying? Frank has a good track record in the NCAA's and he's not going to be denied another chance in Columbia. It's coming. Let's support this team 24/7 for 365 days a year and we will smell success and get that elusive Big Dance victory(s).

Next year every game will be huge, especially the OCC schedule. If we can win 10 games before the SEC schedule including a win over a top 25, I think we'll have a good shot of making The Dance in 2015.

Last edited by Travelin; 03-25-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #28
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

^^^ especially if SEC basketball continues having a good showing in this year's dance, maybe the conference will get more than 3 teams in next year!!!^^^
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #29
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
^^^ especially if SEC basketball continues having a good showing in this year's dance, maybe the conference will get more than 3 teams in next year!!!^^^
That's what I'm thinking. If we can get in the top 6 we will have a chance. UF, KY and Tenn this year and UGA and Ark nearly made it. We beat UK and knocked out Ark. We also got knocked out of the SEC tourney by a Sweet 16 team(Tenn). I honestly think we are a lot closer than many of us think. A little more depth and star power and we'll be in the mix. Notice and Sindarious picked up a world of experience this year, not to mention Henry. The Lithuanians are going to be seasoned veterens next year, so it will be there time to shine and I think Carrera will emerge from his sophomore slump. If Marcus Stroman can give us valuable minutes as a freshman PG next year, we should be able to hang with anyone in the SEC next year.

What I liked the most about this past season was the players finally started buying into CFM's system. That's more than half the battle won right there.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #30
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
The Gamecocks won four of their final six games. That was miles better than USC had been finishing seasons. In the previous four years, the Gamecocks had gone 3-8, 2-9, 1-10 and 2-9 in their final 11 games. This year, they went 6-5.
http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/03/1...p=/99/101/108/
Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #31
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse james View Post
Sadly, even the great McGuire teams in the 70s didn't make any noise at tournament time. Of course, our best team (1970) went 25-3 and 14-0 in the ACC didnt even make the NCAA tournament because only the conference tournament champion got a bid to the NCAA tourney.

The NCAA changed the rule the next year I beleive, but of course we won the ACC tournement in 1971 and got a first round bye. We lost to Pennsylvania the 2nd round (which was the Sweet 16 back then, because the NCAA only took 24 teams).

We won our first round games in 1972 and 1973, but lost in the 2nd round (Sweet 16) both years.

We'v only been to the NCAA tournament 5 times since then (74, 89, 97, 98, and 04) and we lost in the first round each year.

They changed the rule in 1975. In 1974 the ACC had 3 teams in the top 5 at one time during the year. That year Maryland may have been the best team in country (it was basically NC State, Maryland, and UCLA above all others) but did not get to go to the NCAA (Very Similar to 1970 when South Caroling was a top 5 team all year)......
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #32
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
They changed the rule in 1975. In 1974 the ACC had 3 teams in the top 5 at one time during the year. That year Maryland may have been the best team in country (it was basically NC State, Maryland, and UCLA above all others) but did not get to go to the NCAA (Very Similar to 1970 when South Caroling was a top 5 team all year)......
I don't think you can claim Maryland as the best team in the country. They were definitely very good, but they got beat by NC State 3 times. Can't claim to be the best if you lose every game you play to the conference champ (both regular season and tournament) and that team happens to have won the NCAA championship.

1971 Southern Cal team helped get that rule changed too. They lost 2 games all year (both to UCLA) and got as high as #2 in the polls.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote