CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
l^l^lBGCock
Lonnie
NinjaSven
markymark550
Gamecocks1137
snruter amabon
Regalcock
CoverTwo
Perspective on our g (1242)
Currently 2nd in att (879)
SEC referees? (763)
Alshon - Bose (696)
Brad Lawing (679)
Ced Cooper (#18) sta (596)
How cool would it be (535)
**USC vs. UNC-Ashevi (416)
Awesome time waster (290)
Carolina/Clemson gam (211)
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Garcia vs Clemson Tom
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Palmetto Bowl
Brad Lawing
Odell Becham Catch
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
Good Omen for Saturday?
weekend conference Predic
How is Shaq Davidson's re

Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material
Default Re: Spurrier, Thompson on same page.... ESPN article

Quote:
Originally Posted by a24gmcks View Post
My only concern, based only on those games DT started last two years, was his throwing mechanism, especially for a mid-long pass when he faced an incoming blitz or shrinking pocket. It seemed to me that he was releasing the football without enough shifting of his weight to his left foot under such situation. Anyone noticed?

Other than that I am fully confident his ability and effort as our starting quarter back. I hope we will have a lot of blowout games so that whoever back him up has plenty of PT to gain experience for 2015.
From the ESPN article:

Quote:
Thompson spent the final spring break of his college career in South Florida, but he wasn’t there for the beaches. Instead, he worked with Ken Mastrole at his passing academy, working on his footwork and mechanics.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #22
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I've been saying this for a long time. Given what is returning on offense and how favorable the schedule appears to be, you ride Dylan until the wheels fall off (aka playing them out of the conference championship) .. Not only is Coach Spurrier showing loyalty to his Senior and rewarding Dylan's hard work and patience but next year is a tremendous rebuilding project for his offense and it makes total sense to break a new QB in then. Especially because quite bluntly, we probably won't be very good with all the youth we will have on the field in 2015.

Kind of scary to think about .. 2015 will have a new QB, probably a new starting RB, an entirely new rotation at WR, 4 new starters on the OL, and probably an entirely new depth chart at Tight End.

C2......young and inexperienced maybe. But less talented? Definately not......you see new people stepping up at big time programs all the time. Is there a reason why that couldn't happen here??? I don't agree with your statement about not being very good at all.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #23
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

CockyCash: 500
gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
My Opinion:

Dylan is the kind of kid that will not relax enough to allow either Noso or
Connor to gain that kind of run on him for the starting spot. Dylan will work
his ass off to keep it. ... Based on practice so far, neither of he guys behind
him are anywhere close to taking the starting spot from him AND

Even if you called the practice performances "toss ups" with Dylan and either
of the two behind him, You can't drill game experience into a first year
starter no matter how many seasons' they've been with the team and worked
in the offense IN PRACTICE.

Dylan is THE MAN right now. He's earned it, and he's the better of the QBs
we have right now. Barring Injury, he'll be the starter the entire season. He'll
do an excellent job running the offense for us this fall.
Very happy for Dylan. His hard work has paid off. Looking forward to seeing him as the starter for next year.
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
C2......young and inexperienced maybe. But less talented? Definately not......you see new people stepping up at big time programs all the time. Is there a reason why that couldn't happen here??? I don't agree with your statement about not being very good at all.
They said we were young and experienced in 2013. The rest is history.

11-2 with so few seniors is pretty damn good if you ask me
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #25
atlgamecockman
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 2000
atlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talonsatlgamecockman has developed his gaff and talons

Defense will be beastly in 2015 I think, the real question marks will most definitely be on offense, as they have often been during SOS's tenure.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #26
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I just hope everybody leaves their pitchforks and torches at home when he throws a few interceptions or is sacked a few times.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #27
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK View Post
Spurt I agree Dylan should and will be the starter but I can't help thinking what if??? What if we holding back Connor Mitch because Dylan has game experience and Connor could become our Johnny Football or Famous Jameis!

What if? If a frog had a clutch he wouldn't jump.
Here is another what if. What if we had to start Connor M or Noso? Two young QBs with no experience. We'd have teething issues all next season.
I can't see why you think Noso or Mitch are anywhere near DT's level of experience or talent yet. 2015 is Noso and Mitch's year not 2014.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #28
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by a24gmcks View Post
My only concern, based only on those games DT started last two years, was his throwing mechanism, especially for a mid-long pass when he faced an incoming blitz or shrinking pocket. It seemed to me that he was releasing the football without enough shifting of his weight to his left foot under such situation. Anyone noticed?

Other than that I am fully confident his ability and effort as our starting quarter back. I hope we will have a lot of blowout games so that whoever back him up has plenty of PT to gain experience for 2015.
He had some errant passes in his start at Death Valley . . . a win. I didn't notice a problem in his huge TD passes, one against Michigan for example. Do you have any specific examples of this mechanical problem?

The article said he went to a QB clinic in Florida for several weeks this summer to work on his mechanics.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #29
reddot8481
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200
reddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I've been saying this for a long time. Given what is returning on offense and how favorable the schedule appears to be, you ride Dylan until the wheels fall off (aka playing them out of the conference championship) .. Not only is Coach Spurrier showing loyalty to his Senior and rewarding Dylan's hard work and patience but next year is a tremendous rebuilding project for his offense and it makes total sense to break a new QB in then. Especially because quite bluntly, we probably won't be very good with all the youth we will have on the field in 2015.

Kind of scary to think about .. 2015 will have a new QB, probably a new starting RB, an entirely new rotation at WR, 4 new starters on the OL, and probably an entirely new depth chart at Tight End.
We've been hearing for the last two years how we are one of (if not) the youngest teams in the nation. When does the youth grow up, and why for only one season? Sure we lost some underclassmen to draft but not an entire teams worth.
Carolina eu preciso te falar
Ô Carolina eu vou amar você
reddot8481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #30
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
He had Connor as a role model.. glad it rubbed off onto Thompson.
Not taking offense to what you said at all, but the statement is not accurate.
The kind of role model / person Dylan is, has been his character LONG before
he signed his LOI to play at South Carolina. He had those leadership
qualities in him all the time. It just so happened that he joined a team whose
whole value system had changed for the better with a lot of incoming players
with those same leadership qualities. IMO it is what made this team into
a three consecutive 11 win team, and the reason this program has taken
HUGE strides forward since the 2008 season. He along with players like
Justice Cunningham, Connor Shaw, Marcus Lattimore, DJ Swearinger etc..
where the group that got this team out of the press for their off field
mistakes, and put them in the press for being a damn good football team
with TRUE LEADERS who got themselves and got their team mates to use
the majority of their free time working on their game instead of working
the bars at Five Points. It's just Dylan's time to lead this team now. He's
been a leader behind another leader for a couple of seasons. It's his team
now.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #31
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddot8481 View Post
We've been hearing for the last two years how we are one of (if not) the youngest teams in the nation. When does the youth grow up, and why for only one season? Sure we lost some underclassmen to draft but not an entire teams worth.
Young doesn't always mean Freshmen. Young can mean First years starters,
and Red Shirt Freshmen / Sophs. Coach Spurrier has done this for many
years. He's just now been able to do it at South Carolina the past couple
of years because we've usually had to play our best players as starters due
to lack of depth. Redshirting as many players as you can will cause this to
happen, but if you work it right, it builds programs, not a good season
or two. Next year is just one of those times where you have a lot of
former Red Shirt players as Upper Classmen leaving at the same time.
Looking at the roster, there are VERY FEW True Sophs, Juniors and
Seniors on this team. ... You see those class titles Preceded with the
Letters "RS". ..... Next year will be an anomaly. Hopefully it will also be
a season where all the new starters will still be strong enough to compete
with some of the stronger teams on our schedule. If so, then we will be
HELL ON WHEELS for a few more seasons into the future.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #32
reddot8481
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200
reddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot materialreddot8481 is USC mascot material

Yeah nearly the whole team has been redshirted. However, most of those are either SO or Jrs, and (outside of maybe Shell )there's not near the pro buzz around the underclassmen. Do you think this will translate to recruiting improving this year, with more immediate fills being needed? C2 haven't heard too much on filling those OL gaps, are we looking at monsters to bring in from JC ranks?
Carolina eu preciso te falar
Ô Carolina eu vou amar você
reddot8481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #33
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
They said we were young and experienced in 2013. The rest is history.

11-2 with so few seniors is pretty damn good if you ask me
Doesn't matter, we had plenty of good juniors. It's kind of misleading.

We had a senior QB, 3 Jr receivers, 2 experienced TE's, one of our most experienced lines (OL and DL), with 3 2+ year starters in the secondary. We won't have all that in 2015.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #34
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
He had Connor as a role model.. glad it rubbed off onto Thompson.

Not really, I've followed Dylan for a few years and he was that way before he arrived. He is an example leader on and off the field like Shaw by nature.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #35
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Not really, I've followed Dylan for a few years and he was that way before he arrived. He is an example leader on and off the field like Shaw by nature.
We ran into Dylan and family waiting ona table for Sunday lunch last year and I had to walk up and introduce myself and show him my support. What an impressive gentleman ! We only spoke briefly as I did not want to totally interrupt his time with friends and family (probably 10 or so) but I instantly became a HUGE DylanThompson fan. Of course I already was, knowing him as a winner under tremendous pressure and team player, he is also a generous and humble person in public, a true asset to represent the University.

GOOD LUCK DYLAN AND GO COCKS !!
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #36
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
Did I say less talented? Don't believe so.

We are going to be a very inexperienced offense for the 2015 season. Spurrier will be relying on a lot of 1st time starters including a new QB. His system is not very "young player friendly" so to speak; especially at the key positions (QB, WR, OL). There is a big learning curve that has to happen for young players which is why outside of the cream of the crop, it typically takes 2 seasons for guys to come around. Right or wrong, we just don't tailor our system to take advantage of what little a true freshman could do. Its basically learn the system and produce by your 3rd year or find another place to go.

You also have to account for almost everyone's defense is getting better on our schedule going forward. Florida is already elite on defense and is showing no signs of that changing. Tennessee and A&M hav been recruiting very well on defense and should start seeing results soon. Georgia is going to rebound with Pruitt. Mark Stoops is going to field a very solid defense eventually at UK. I imagine Derek Mason is going to try to build Vandy in the mold of Stanford (built around defense). Who knows what Mizzou will do but I imagine they have some sleeper prospects waiting in the wings.

Putting an offense with that many new players in the 2 deep is going to lead to severe growing pains. Its inevitable which is why putting a new QB out there next year and let them grow with the other new faces makes a lot of sense. If they can take their lumps, build the chemistry, and hopefully improve throughout the year .. our young guys should be battle tested and ready to make another run at the SEC East in 2016.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #37
sully1
4-Star

Male

sully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his clawssully1 is sharpening his claws

Like others C2....I aint thinking 2015 as a down year.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #38
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
I just hope everybody leaves their pitchforks and torches at home when he throws a few interceptions or is sacked a few times.
Likewise let's don't give him a Heisman after he tears Texas A&M to shreds in game one.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote