CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
gadeneer1986
B-G
Latt7more
ReadR00ster
CoverTwo
b381l
Why is everyone anti (1751)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Just thought of some (991)
How did we not make (985)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (844)
Miss St. defense (834)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (641)
SOS says his next st (453)
Busta out indefinite (430)
Why is everyone anticipat
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
How did we not make it.
Miss St. defense
Party like it's 1903
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
Busta out indefinitely.
SOS says his next stop is
Roll call for Auburn
Bruce Ellington's First T

Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #121
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Fox News Just Reported CFB UNIONS OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
union files on behalf of their members
union has to be recognized first, right?
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #122
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
You don't like the NCAA? Don't watch. Don't participate. Start your own football league. They're doing their own thing and don't owe anyone a dang thing.

I love my alma mater, the University of South Carolina.

I do not like the NCAA

Kind of like how I can love my country, but dislike Congress (or the executive branch, judicial branch, whatever)

But just because I dislike DC, doesn't mean I'm going to turn my back on my country. Same goes for my alma mater and the sports they participate in compared to the NCAA.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #123
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

By the way folks. Unions are formed for this reason. Workers demand rights, and if they aren't given them, and they want it bad enough they unionize. It's what happened in America when the Companies were pooping on people. If y'all read the article I posted above the majority of this union has nothing to do with making money it's more of rights for the players. Heck don't y'all think the 1 year wait transfer rule is stupid? I do that is a part of the union agenda. How about the schools/athletics aren't required to pay game related injuries, heck that sound like Workmans comp right there. I think they should have that as well. People hear union their first idea is they just want all the money. It isn't always about that.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #124
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurs

Quote:
You all seem to forget, schools don't have to have to college sports. They LET these people play. They don't have a RIGHT to play at all. The student-athlete DOES exists, because the NCAA SAYS SO. The NCAA is the authority given by all member institutions. They have to the power to make any rules they see fit to support their MISSION of providing ACADEMIC opportunities to athletes. THE are NOT merely stubbornly holding to a notion of student-athlete. Student-Athletes is the NCAA'S MISSION. It is WHAT they exist for. If the guys want to bite hand that feeds them, they better be ready to get bitten back. When the NCAA comes down with a rule that says union members are ineligible to play they are going to look mighty dumb. It's not about what people think who is an amateur and or not. It's an amateur league because that is all the NCAA has the power to run. If you make this a professional league it can't be run by the NCAA. It is going to be run by some other association and it will be just some minor league football that has absolutley nothing to do the with the schools. College Football really would just be, Football. You can drop the college out of it.
It seems like it's not that simple really. The NCAA says their mission is Student Athlete, but look at it honestly. The schools want to make money from athletics and reinvest it into the university to upgrade facilities, buildings, profesors, quality of students, etc. What happens when all the top players are part of the unions and the schools/NCAA say no union players will play? That means the product on the field is worse, which will mean less people will attend games, revenue will go down, sales of team logo'd products and concessions will go down. If the players did strike it absolutely would have an effect. Imagine watching the gamecocks and the starting QB, RB, WR, and all the star players decided to sit out. It would absolutely have a huge impact
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #125
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
I love my alma mater, the University of South Carolina.

I do not like the NCAA

Kind of like how I can love my country, but dislike Congress (or the executive branch, judicial branch, whatever)

But just because I dislike DC, doesn't mean I'm going to turn my back on my country. Same goes for my alma mater and the sports they participate in compared to the NCAA.
I don't love the NCAA. There is just no reason to hate it. A lot of people whine and moan about little things the NCAA does that they don't like, but college sports would have failed without the NCAA.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #126
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
By the way folks. Unions are formed for this reason. Workers demand rights, and if they aren't given them, and they want it bad enough they unionize. It's what happened in America when the Companies were pooping on people. If y'all read the article I posted above the majority of this union has nothing to do with making money it's more of rights for the players. Heck don't y'all think the 1 year wait transfer rule is stupid? I do that is a part of the union agenda. How about the schools/athletics aren't required to pay game related injuries, heck that sound like Workmans comp right there. I think they should have that as well. People hear union their first idea is they just want all the money. It isn't always about that.
You can unionize, but that doesn't mean much. The union has to have to leverage to be able to negotiate terms. They can't make the NCAA change their rules just because they are unionized. I don't personally don't think the schools should have to pay for anything. If you don't want to risk injuries. Don't play.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #127
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 355
Jethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPit

So how are they gonna pay the dues to be in the unions that require money to represent them?? Also, We all know how that worked out for Detroit. Unions may have been good at one time but now with the laws in place and the workers rights laws they tend to cause more problems then help. IMO
Jethro Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #128
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but this ruling is for private schools only.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #129
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
sounds like envy
Well, to me this whole argument sounds like entitlement.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #130
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but this ruling is for private schools only.
This ruling is for one private school only. Northwestern.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #131
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
This girl gets it.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #132
rioninusc
Starter

Male

rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
You can unionize, but that doesn't mean much. The union has to have to leverage to be able to negotiate terms. They can't make the NCAA change their rules just because they are unionized. I don't personally don't think the schools should have to pay for anything. If you don't want to risk injuries. Don't play.
This is where I disagree, this is why the union starts. It's like a trickle down effect. NW has started it, and then other private colleges will start unionizing, then legislation will happen and make it where public institutions can be unionized, and then the NCAA see's it's losing it will either fall under or agree with the terms of the players. It's best to do what they want now instead of fighting it because it is a losing battle.

Also if I get hurt at work it's covered by workmans comp. These college players should have this right as well. USC usually pays so at least our own school is cool about this
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #133
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

I find it amusing that people are saying that football players don't really get an education. That is their choice they are being given an education if they want it. Also football players at northwestern are most definitely getting their education to a tune of $76,000 a year. That is $300k plus. I believe they are getting their fair share.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #134
Big-Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
So you're ok with this?
No I do not agree with this but the rest of it is spot on. As I pointed out earlier in this thread these kids receive plenty of compensation. They get world class training, facilities, educations, opportunities to present there talents to the NFL, food, housing, medical, advisers, nutritionist and ect. ect.

Someone should really sit down and add up how much all of that would cost a football player if he had to pay for all of it. The greed of these kids will ruin the sport and cause corruption. I don't agree with the NCAA on everything but these rules are needed to keep the integrity of college sports intact.
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #135
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Well if players are going to get paid, they better bring back EA's NCAA Football
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #136
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

The NCAA just needs to go ahead and declare any student athlete who joins a union ineligible and also un-appealable.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #137
rioninusc
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Cock View Post
No I do not agree with this but the rest of it is spot on. As I pointed out earlier in this thread these kids receive plenty of compensation. They get world class training, facilities, educations, opportunities to present there talents to the NFL, food, housing, medical, advisers, nutritionist and ect. ect.

Someone should really sit down and add up how much all of that would cost a football player if he had to pay for all of it. The greed of these kids will ruin the sport and cause corruption. I don't agree with the NCAA on everything but these rules are needed to keep the integrity of college sports intact.
Forbes Article on why the players should be able to Unionize

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedel...to-unionize/2/

This is the one where the writer estimates the football players are paid about 125,000 a year if you added up all the benefits they receive.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreyd...to-125000year/
Old 03-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #138
rioninusc
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
The NCAA just needs to go away.
FIFY
Old 03-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #139
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
But minors cannot file court cases, right?

I'm asking.

Didn't that minor chick file against her parents? It was thrown out, but I don't think because she was a minor.

Opinion and asking too.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #140
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post

Yeah. Those workers who enacted employment laws in the early 20th century were guilty of entitlement, too.