CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Acockolypse Now
Spurticus
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
spareparts
MEL
auslander
sanford
B-G
Texags (2158)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (1865)
Ace suspended 4 game (1709)
Top 10 Reasons Why T (1447)
Holy Hell, Indeed, S (1202)
watching the Alabama (404)
Jake Coker (312)
Da'Quan Bowers had a (253)
A good friend of min (246)
ESPN Insider (184)
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Gamecock Showcase Attende
Official SEC Network and
Another A&M aggie off
Top 10 Reasons Why Texas
Ace suspended 4 games
Georgia DE Jonathan Taylo
Green and Lammons
Good Article for those co
2015 - Christian Pellage

Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Greatest Sports Figure From Each State

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
Odd there's only 5 women; 6 if you count Bruce Jenner.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #22
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Lombardi was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY.
Yeah but he's buried in NJ so he will have spent more time here than anywhere else
Take one star crunch. Then take lots of peanut butter and layer it THICK on the flat side. After that slam another star crunch on top of the peanut butter. Finally, slap yo momma. For those of you trying to "watch what you eat" don't add the second star crunch. This is the diet version-etowngangsta
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #23
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

In Oklahoma, I would have to say overall that it had to be "The Mick". Mickey Mantle was one of the all time great baseball players and if he had not got hurt and injured his knees like he did, he would have hit more home runs than Hank Aaron would have done even though Hammering Hank played a lot longer and had a lot more at bats.

Jim Thorpe was an outstanding athlete and was a great track star, great football player, and was a fair baseball player.

Mighty Mick, was an outstanding football player in high school and most likely could have played college ball. Mick also had blazing speed until he got his spikes caught in a drain cover and he also suffered from the medical expertise of the 1950's, which really help damage his knees even worse.

Hard to argue about Jim Thorpe, but I would say that Mickey Mantle was the greatest athlete to come out of OK. Look at how many World Series Championships "Mighty Mick" won.

Also, in South Carolina, I would have to say that "Shoeless Joe Jackson" and "Bobby Richardson" should have a claim to the spot. Bobby Richardson won several World Series Championships and also was voted The Most Valuable Player in the 1960 World Series. Shoeless Joe Jackson, was one heck of a baseball player. Ty Cobb said that Shoeless Joe was the best hitter in the league and that coming from Ty Cobb was a mouthful!!! I still could see where people would vote for "Smoking Joe" as he was a Great Champion in his time. Every bit as good as all the other fighters, with the exception of George Foreman, who was just too big and strong for Smoking Joe. Smoking Joe gave Ali all he wanted and then some. I personally think that he won the first two fights, but Ali had the people behind him.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 AM   #24
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

For South Carolina, I would say it would be Frazier, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, or Larry Doby. Any of those 3 would be ok in my book.

For Alaska, I would argue Carlos Boozer or Mario Chalmers over Trajan Langdon. Unless Langdon is some type of state hero that we are unaware of.

Merlin Olsen for Utah? Is that just I'm too young to really know much about him or does Utah just not produce a lot of sports figures?

I would argue Dean Smith over Barry Sanders for Kansas. Sanders was a great running back, but Smith is one of the greatest basketball coaches and was one of the great innovators of the game.

I would have thought either Akebono or Laird Hamilton for Hawaii, but it seems that the guy they listed is, in fact, a state legend.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 AM   #25
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
For South Carolina, I would say it would be Frazier, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, or Larry Doby. Any of those 3 would be ok in my book.

For Alaska, I would argue Carlos Boozer or Mario Chalmers over Trajan Langdon. Unless Langdon is some type of state hero that we are unaware of.

Merlin Olsen for Utah? Is that just I'm too young to really know much about him or does Utah just not produce a lot of sports figures?

I would argue Dean Smith over Barry Sanders for Kansas. Sanders was a great running back, but Smith is one of the greatest basketball coaches and was one of the great innovators of the game.

I would have thought either Akebono or Laird Hamilton for Hawaii, but it seems that the guy they listed is, in fact, a state legend.
I went to high school with one of Dean Smith's grandaughter. She was awesome. Just a random tidbit.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #26
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 317
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
I went to high school with one of Dean Smith's grandaughter. She was awesome. Just a random tidbit.
She was awesome?-- Does that mean that she puts out?
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #27
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
In Oklahoma, I would have to say overall that it had to be "The Mick". Mickey Mantle was one of the all time great baseball players and if he had not got hurt and injured his knees like he did, he would have hit more home runs than Hank Aaron would have done even though Hammering Hank played a lot longer and had a lot more at bats.

Jim Thorpe was an outstanding athlete and was a great track star, great football player, and was a fair baseball player.

Mighty Mick, was an outstanding football player in high school and most likely could have played college ball. Mick also had blazing speed until he got his spikes caught in a drain cover and he also suffered from the medical expertise of the 1950's, which really help damage his knees even worse.

Hard to argue about Jim Thorpe, but I would say that Mickey Mantle was the greatest athlete to come out of OK. Look at how many World Series Championships "Mighty Mick" won.

Also, in South Carolina, I would have to say that "Shoeless Joe Jackson" and "Bobby Richardson" should have a claim to the spot. Bobby Richardson won several World Series Championships and also was voted The Most Valuable Player in the 1960 World Series. Shoeless Joe Jackson, was one heck of a baseball player. Ty Cobb said that Shoeless Joe was the best hitter in the league and that coming from Ty Cobb was a mouthful!!! I still could see where people would vote for "Smoking Joe" as he was a Great Champion in his time. Every bit as good as all the other fighters, with the exception of George Foreman, who was just too big and strong for Smoking Joe. Smoking Joe gave Ali all he wanted and then some. I personally think that he won the first two fights, but Ali had the people behind him.
^
Shoeless Joe or Freddie Solomon IMO were better "Athletes" than Joe
Frasier. Frasier was a hell of a boxer / brawler no doubt, but for all round
athletic talent There were better from this state than Smokin' Joe
Old 03-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #28
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
This info is also 14 years old.
Seriously, how much would it cost to permanently ban you? So that you never return, under any other of your 25 names? How much do we have to pay you to go away for good? Because I'm willing to pitch in.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #30
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
Do you mean to tell me that Deon Sanders is "the best" Florida can come up with ? I gonna have to investigate that.......................I'm calling BS !
Bob Hayes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #31
Bird
Walk On

Bird has hatched from the shell

I have to respectfully disagree with the Mississippi selection. As great as Walter Peyton was, Jerry Rice is the best athlete to come from that state in my opinion. Not only is Jerry the best reciever of all time, he's possibly the greatest football player of all time.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #32
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with the Mississippi selection. As great as Walter Peyton was, Jerry Rice is the best athlete to come from that state in my opinion. Not only is Jerry the best reciever of all time, he's possibly the greatest football player of all time.
I agree with you. However, at the time of publication, Rice was still building his legacy. I think they would pick Rice if they updated the list.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #33
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
^
Everyone has their own opinion,but in my 57 years the first Ali-Frazier fight in Madison Square Garden was the most eagerly anticipated sporting event of my lifetime.Those who were there still describe it as the most "electric" atmosphere they ever witnessed.Younger folks of today just don't realize how large a figure the Heavyweight Champion of the World was back then.
Beano Cook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #34
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

The only reason I can see for them not including Shoeless Joe for SC is the Black Sox Scandal.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #35
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

I understand what she did for women's sports but how many people know BDZ is even from Texas? or know her over say Earl Campbell or Lance Armstrong or Nolan Ryan
Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
^

I forgot about Freddie Solomon, what a great football player he was and also played in the NFL for many years.

How about the Head Football Coach at Summerville High School? He has done an amazing thing there.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #37
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
Everyone has their own opinion,but in my 57 years the first Ali-Frazier fight in Madison Square Garden was the most eagerly anticipated sporting event of my lifetime.Those who were there still describe it as the most "electric" atmosphere they ever witnessed.Younger folks of today just don't realize how large a figure the Heavyweight Champion of the World was back then.

I remember the fight, I was only a lad back then, but I did see the replay on HBO a month or so and it was one of the most "watched and attended events for it's time". You have to remember that Ali had been out of boxing for about 3 years when he fought the Heavyweight Champion of the World at the time and put up a good fight and could have won if he had not been knocked down. Ali, went on to win the next two fights against Smoking Joe, but I was always a Joe Frazier fan. That being said, Joe was a great fighter, but could not beat Big George Foreman, even though he gave Ali all that he wanted. To be the best, Smoking Joe should have be able to beat George Foreman and I don't think that would have happened if they fought 10 more times. George Foreman was just too big and strong for Smoking Joe back then.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #38
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 317
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Pleas.....

For GA it will always be Herschel Walker
Old 04-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #39
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Seriously, how much would it cost to permanently ban you? So that you never return, under any other of your 25 names? How much do we have to pay you to go away for good? Because I'm willing to pitch in.
Count me in too.

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #40
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Although Jim Brown grew up in New York, he was born on St. Simons Island, GA.
doc

BTW he went to Manhasset HS on Long Island before becoming a star in Lacrosse as well as FB at Syracuse.