CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
taylorssc
Latt7more
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
gadeneer1986
Grit_And_Steel
lake-cityCOCK89
Does South Carolina (1564)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (841)
Rest of the season p (825)
Tennessee Game Time (610)
Tennessee kickoff an (602)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (532)
Is Clowney back toni (460)
Just thought of some (433)
Let us clarify some (370)
Let us clarify some thing
Miss St. defense
Why is everyone anticipat
How do you want Auburn to
Bruce Ellington's First T
Official NHL 2014-2015 Se
How did we not make it.
Thoughts on the basketbal
Nick Saban on frustration
CBS: SOS to Florida?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #21
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Column missed its mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Would never work. Many would stop supporting those teams. Look at how minor league teams do, that's what college football would look like if you remove the school from it.

Speculative scare tactic
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

As a walk-on for the University of Washington Baseball team, I was just happy to be on the team... That is all I needed....I came from a fairly well-off family. Many of the athletes(that were on scholarships) that I dormed with were from very low-income families, and did not have any money to just go out and get a meal(off campus), or go to a movie.

When you do not allow athletes to work while on scholarship, then it is not a fair system... All other students are allowed to have jobs. Student-Athletes should be allowed to work, or they should be given some sort of compensation.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
When you do not allow athletes to work while on scholarship, then it is not a fair system... All other students are allowed to have jobs. Student-Athletes should be allowed to work, or they should be given some sort of compensation.
Under the current system they are allowed to work in the off season and they receive per diem money during the season for expenses.

I hate to say it but I agree with Dabo 100% here.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #24
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Under the current system they are allowed to work in the off season and they receive per diem money during the season for expenses.

I hate to say it but I agree with Dabo 100% here.
A lot of schools don't like that because there is always a chance the athlete gets a job, and it doesn't fit to term with the NCAA, so in a way you're right, but in another way you're wrong. They can get jobs, but coaches tell them not to, so to avoid any possible problem with the NCAA. The main culprit of this situation is the NCAA, and now they are going to fall. Plain and simple.

I know one sure fire way to get rid of all of this. Stop the TV contracts, ban apparel sales, and don't allow athletes to do autographs until they leave the school. It's the best solution no more big money in the sports, people who want to see the game can go to it, and it stops the big money controversy.
rioninusc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #25
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
A lot of schools don't like that because there is always a chance the athlete gets a job, and it doesn't fit to term with the NCAA, so in a way you're right, but in another way you're wrong. They can get jobs, but coaches tell them not to, so to avoid any possible problem with the NCAA. The main culprit of this situation is the NCAA, and now they are going to fall. Plain and simple.

I know one sure fire way to get rid of all of this. Stop the TV contracts, ban apparel sales, and don't allow athletes to do autographs until they leave the school. It's the best solution no more big money in the sports, people who want to see the game can go to it, and it stops the big money controversy.
No it wouldn't. People would still complain about the ticket sale revenue. Also you can't tell a school they can't sell merchandise that says their name on it. Schools sell more hats and shirts with just their logo on it than jerseys and stuff from specific sports. That's because people cheer the school mire than the athletes.

If these athletes are complaining now, I can't wait to hear how upset they are when they have to pay taxes on those scholarships, stipends, healthcare, training tables, bowl gifts, etc. These athletes are being compensated well over 50k a year, that is more than the median income, but apparently some won't be happy until they kill the golden goose.

All those poor guys on your baseball team may not have any scholarship help and unable to pay for college after this all goes through. That's seems a lot better, no college degree rather than being able to go to the movies all the time. Also there are non athletes who work and cannot afford to go to the movies during college and they have to also pay rent and student loans after they graduate.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #26
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

So the kids at Stanford who worked with the professor to invent a microscope made out of paper, cost less than $1 to make, will save 1000's of lives and make Stanford a ton of money should be paid?
So all students who receive a scholarship should be paid, it is not enough to have your education, meals, practice clothes, books... paid for?
If you don't like being an amateur athlete go to Europe, Mexico, Japan and get paid, play tennis, baseball...or any other sport you can go pro when you feel you are ready but do not bring that BS to college athletics!! If I were Northwestern I would tell each and every player that if you would like to be an employee of the university then fill out a job application not an application for a free education.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
uscalum92
Walk On

Male

uscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spursuscalum92 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Also there are non athletes who work and cannot afford to go to the movies during college and they have to also pay rent and student loans after they graduate.
Extremely valid point, but I would ask you this. How much money are the 'non athletes' generating FOR the university, outside of the tuition, books, and fees they are paying to go to school?

I'm not on the "pay for play" bandwagon yet, but it's hard to believe that it will go away before some drastic changes are made.
uscalum92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #28
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscalum92 View Post
Extremely valid point, but I would ask you this. How much money are the 'non athletes' generating FOR the university, outside of the tuition, books, and fees they are paying to go to school?

I'm not on the "pay for play" bandwagon yet, but it's hard to believe that it will go away before some drastic changes are made.
Research grants would be one example of how non-athletes generate revenue for the university

Musicians could be another....
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #29
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

I think Spurrier had one of the better solutions I heard. Give them some sort of extra stipend. Nothing excessive (like what some of the coaches make).
StretfordEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #30
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
Research grants would be one example of how non-athletes generate revenue for the university

Musicians could be another....

And both those students receiving research grants as well as other non-athletes can profit off their own likeness, work outside of school, etc...

d'oh!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #31
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

I'm going to post this (in its entirety) in this thread, since it seemed to be (conveniently) ignored in the other thread...

Quote:
OK, let’s begin at the beginning. This whole topic has gotten complicated in the last few years, but amateurism at least started out as a sincere ideal, right?

Not really, no! If you look back to the beginning of modern, organized sports, the hypocrisy becomes almost comically transparent. Take the rise of soccer in England as an example. Wealthy London gentlemen who had learned the game in upper-class boarding schools were not all that stoked, it turns out, when their teams started losing to working-class players from the industrial north. The gentlemen put their heads together and reasoned that if poor, talented athletes could make a living playing sports, then the proles could train full-time and become even more of a threat. But if the workers were forced to play for free, they’d have to squeeze practice in around 80-hour workweeks in the factories. Amazingly, the Old Etonians (no kidding, this was a powerful team in the 1880s) looked into their hearts and decided that paying players sullied the integrity of
http://grantland.com/features/northw...hletics-union/

Last edited by johnnyb; 04-02-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Please post only the first portion of outside articles and link to the remainder
Old 04-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #32
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscalum92 View Post

I don't think it matters, the idea of the union and this pay for play is that all these athletes are being exploited, from the super star to the scrubs. If that is the case, than all should be paid equally. The super star QB can't do anything if he doesn't have WR and scout team D to practice with. What other solution, do you pay based on position? Seems like that wouldn't be fair. Our coaches going to be forced to rank plays from best to worse and give them pay based on that?

I just don't see how this cannot end up being more trouble. I also do not agree that student athletes are so poorly treated, since they get 100's of perks for playing.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM   #33
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I don't think it matters, the idea of the union and this pay for play is that all these athletes are being exploited, from the super star to the scrubs. If that is the case, than all should be paid equally. The super star QB can't do anything if he doesn't have WR and scout team D to practice with. What other solution, do you pay based on position? Seems like that wouldn't be fair. Our coaches going to be forced to rank plays from best to worse and give them pay based on that?

I just don't see how this cannot end up being more trouble. I also do not agree that student athletes are so poorly treated, since they get 100's of perks for playing.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
What other solution, do you pay based on position?
Allow players to sign endorsement deals.

The market will take care of how much they make, and the university doesn't have to 'sully' itself by cutting a paycheck.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #35
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yea, but compare that with the millions they could possibly miss by being forced to stay in college for X number of years. Free gear, tuition, and meal plans are cool and all...but not when you compare it to millions of dollars. Especially when at the same time these athletes are bringing in billions of dollars for these institutions. Forcing someone to possibly miss out on a great fortune while making a fortune off of said player just seems hypocritical to me. If they fail in the classroom (which has nothing really to do with football anyway) or sustain a major injury while in college then they have essentially missed their opportunity with nothing to show for it besides some University apparel and a ton of strange.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #36
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
I'm going to post this (in its entirety) in this thread, since it seemed to be (conveniently) ignored in the other thread...

http://grantland.com/features/northw...hletics-union/
That's because Grantland is too advanced for many people here.

Provide it in BleacherReport, CF News or SB Nation.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #37
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Allow players to sign endorsement deals.

The market will take care of how much they make, and the university doesn't have to 'sully' itself by cutting a paycheck.
That will just lead to universities with wealth donors paying more for player endorsements and again remove any chance for 90% of the D1 teams from competing. There is a reason why the NFL has been so successful, is due to things like the salary cap and revenue sharing. It allows for more competition throughout the league.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #38
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Yea, but compare that with the millions they could possibly miss by being forced to stay in college for X number of years. Free gear, tuition, and meal plans are cool and all...but not when you compare it to millions of dollars. Especially when at the same time these athletes are bringing in billions of dollars for these institutions. Forcing someone to possibly miss out on a great fortune while making a fortune off of said player just seems hypocritical to me. If they fail in the classroom (which has nothing really to do with football anyway) or sustain a major injury while in college then they have essentially missed their opportunity with nothing to show for it besides some University apparel and a ton of strange.
It is no different than a law firm making someone complete law school before giving them a job. It isn't college forcing them to stay there, it is the NFL setting their job requirements.

I also don't get the argument that it is unfair for someone to make money off of others work. That is what every business does. The company risks money to make a large profit, while the worker gets a guaranteed salary no matter what the business makes each year. It is really simple, but for some reason people pretend like some form of slavery is happening.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #39
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
That's because Grantland is too advanced for many people here.

Provide it in BleacherReport, CF News or SB Nation.

funny thing is- i had this same theory already.

obviously i agree with you.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #40
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
That will just lead to universities with wealth donors paying more for player endorsements and again remove any chance for 90% of the D1 teams from competing. There is a reason why the NFL has been so successful, is due to things like the salary cap and revenue sharing. It allows for more competition throughout the league.

more scare tactics

"smaller schools wont be able to compete!"

SMALLER SCHOOLS CANT COMPETE NOW!

How many smaller schools do you see with the facilities of an Oregon?

But, for some reason, we're OUTRAGED by THIS level of disparity that MIGHT occur...not the disparity, though, that is ALREADY occurring.