CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
U-Dub Gamecock
mpilot0705
JerseyBird
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
QCB
Storm Of Spurs
For Discussing The C (3464)
Drew Owens missing? (2483)
Question about after (2399)
Shaq Roland (1507)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1500)
clemson game time: N (992)
FishFry 47-yarder (772)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
Mason Rudolph starti (309)
UFC Fight Night 57: (293)
Dylan Thompson surpasses
The Defense
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Question about after the
Na'ty Rogers
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Senior Day RB Participant
2015 - Daniel Fennell
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Mason Rudolph starting fo

Old 03-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #21
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Perry Orth sounds like an overpriced boat shoe. "Just got a new pair of Perry Orth's for my weekend date to Beaufort."
Lol. I was gonna say "Orth" sounds like something from LOTR
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #22
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb
Default Re: Who's Orth?

It's great to have the HBC. He knows talent when he sees it. This kid has been working hard and deserves the praise he is getting. Hope to see him play in the Fall. Keep it up Perry.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

A good many people thought when Thompson got a scholarship here he would never start or have trouble finding playing time. I leaned in that direction, myself.

People keep giving SOS a hard time for his first two QB's he recruited here. He had a late start and hat to get whomever he could find. Not only did he get a late start, but he was several years away from college ball, so his recruiting contacts and info were not up and running, plus he had to worry about getting a staff together. Not a shock he missed out of the gates on the most demanding position on the team.

If Orth knows the plays, has a good football IQ, doesn't panic easily, and can keep the ball out of danger, then he is well ahead of things. Either he can do what one of the most demanding coaches of QB's can do or he can't. That's good enough for me.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #24
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
A good many people thought when Thompson got a scholarship here he would never start or have trouble finding playing time. I leaned in that direction, myself.

People keep giving SOS a hard time for his first two QB's he recruited here. He had a late start and hat to get whomever he could find. Not only did he get a late start, but he was several years away from college ball, so his recruiting contacts and info were not up and running, plus he had to worry about getting a staff together. Not a shock he missed out of the gates on the most demanding position on the team.

If Orth knows the plays, has a good football IQ, doesn't panic easily, and can keep the ball out of danger, then he is well ahead of things. Either he can do what one of the most demanding coaches of QB's can do or he can't. That's good enough for me.
well said sir.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #25
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Should make for an interesting spring game.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #26
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Perry Orth being the #2 QB right now is not a fluke. The kid is practicing at a high level and has grasped things faster than Mitch and Nosovitch. Talent wise, he doesn't have the ceiling of Connor Mitch but he is performing.

Spurrier said 2 years ago that if Seth Strickland had more velocity on his ball he would've been the top backup to Connor. Well, Perry is mentally sharp like Seth was and he has a little more arm than Seth had.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #27
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
People keep giving SOS a hard time for his first two QB's he recruited here.
SOS didn't have a QB coach his first 4 seasons here (and not much of an OL coach either). He now has a QB coach who knows as much if not more than SOS, can recruit good talent, and a guy who can be a friend and mentor to QBs trying to play for Steve Spurrier.

I remain convinced that Blake Mitchell, Syvelle Newton, and Chris Smelley all would have had noticeably better careers here if they had played for G.A. Mangus. And I don't think G.A. would have recruited any of the QBs that came here prior to '10.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #28
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900000
kabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurskabercr2 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
SOS didn't have a QB coach his first 4 seasons here (and not much of an OL coach either). He now has a QB coach who knows as much if not more than SOS, can recruit good talent, and a guy who can be a friend and mentor to QBs trying to play for Steve Spurrier.

I remain convinced that Blake Mitchell, Syvelle Newton, and Chris Smelley all would have had noticeably better careers here if they had played for G.A. Mangus. And I don't think G.A. would have recruited any of the QBs that came here prior to '10.
There is no telling what Syvelle could have done with Mangus and the talent we have here now.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #29
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Connor Shaw was a 3 Star Dual Threat ranked in the mid 20's, there were probably 40 higher rated Pro and Dual threat QB's ahead of him in that class.

Connor Shaw worked his ass off at USC.

Connor Shaw became the winningest QB in USC history and only threw 1 INT his Sr year. He is now going Pro.

Orth could do the same. Stars coming in matter far less than what one does while they're here.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #30
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post

Smelley never had the arm to throw the out pass. I agree with you about G.A., but there is not much he could have done to fix that physical limitation.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #31
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Quote:

You're correct. Thompson was not heavily recruited and was only a three star if I remember correctly. He didn't have the 'credentials' that Garcia had and no one thought he would be in the mix for playing time. My how times have changed. Spurrier knows QB's and knows how to coach them up, if they're willing to put in the effort. For an example, just look at Shaw.

Keep working hard Mr. Orth.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #32
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Spurrier has touted Orth over Mitch and Noso several times. This recent 2nd string ranking should not surprise anyoe who has been listening to Spurrier. I doubt Coach would praise one QB to motivate two other QBs into earning the most playing time. Spurrier is not into phony praise for that would devalue his lifes work.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #33
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Other factors that we should consider were that it took us a long time to get an OL together where the QB had time to throw a pass, and like everyone that is recruited, it is difficult to accurately measure the amount of inner drive and determination and desire to learn. A kid that looks great in HS might not translate well in college once they discover their natural physical talent is not enough to see them through. Give some a tough challenge and they can't or won't make it. That's true outside sports, too, of course.

Let's just be glad that once a concerted effort to get more kids out of winning programs and are better students seem to have resulted in less troubles, fewer washouts, beet effort, more team cohesion, and winning here.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #34
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

IF Orth ever is even a legit 2nd string i would hope the star gazers would figure out it isnt always about stars.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #35
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
You're correct. Thompson was not heavily recruited and was only a three star if I remember correctly. He didn't have the 'credentials' that Garcia had and no one thought he would be in the mix for playing time. My how times have changed. Spurrier knows QB's and knows how to coach them up, if they're willing to put in the effort. For an example, just look at Shaw.

Keep working hard Mr. Orth.
He was a 2 star.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Can he throw the fade?

Well done, Grasshopper...

Your question shows you wisdom.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #37
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
SOS could care less about where ya came from or how many stars. Learn his ball plays, execute, and move the team down the field you will see the field.
*couldn't care.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

what shocks me about all this is how the number of regular posters and "fans" on this board that have no idea who Perry Orth is.

From all accounts, he is a SOLID backup, throws a great ball, quick release, knows the playbood, works hard. Cons are his mobility, although coach says he runs the zone read better than Noso and Mitch. Also has a hard time seeing the whole field when his 1,2 are covered. Probably why he is behind Thompson but ahead of the guys still learning the offense. Look for him to do garbage duty with Mitch this season.

Clem5-0n Class:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertime86 View Post
I don't see the problem. Ole Glass Knees hasn't done anything of note lately, and he NEVER did anything against CLEMSON!
cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #39
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

I don't know why anyone would be shocked that a kid like Orth could excel in this program. It's not like Dylan Thompson was high-school Mr. All-World, and look where he is now.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:46 PM   #40
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 View Post
what shocks me about all this is how the number of regular posters and "fans" on this board that have no idea who Perry Orth is.

From all accounts, he is a SOLID backup, throws a great ball, quick release, knows the playbood, works hard. Cons are his mobility, although coach says he runs the zone read better than Noso and Mitch. Also has a hard time seeing the whole field when his 1,2 are covered. Probably why he is behind Thompson but ahead of the guys still learning the offense. Look for him to do garbage duty with Mitch this season.
I'm with you on this. I don't understand how so many people don't know who he is.

Also, I just watched the replay in your sig about 15 times in a row... it doesn't get old!!
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote