CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27771)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2177)
Simple "yes&quo (1530)
We actually didnt lo (1251)
Phil Steele just pre (1221)
what I think ab ward (1004)
Eat Crow (956)
Extremely Proud (891)
Garcia: Change the R (773)
TeMarcus Blanton (720)
We would be 7-1 with just
Stop bashing Dylan
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Extremely Proud
I want people to explain
Nick Marshall
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
what I think ab ward
Defense question
We actually didnt lose

Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #21
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Merril Hoge talks a TON of trash about Clowney's skill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Get the garnet glasses off Goofy.
I am an admitted Gamecock and Clowney fan. I have, however, over the years not been hesitant to be critical of poor play and mistakes by players and coaches. Nothing you said refutes my contention that the main critic and the others were wrong about Clowney's bench numbers and that they stated critical opinions as facts. As far as the tone of the article, my view is that it was hyper-critical and overly negative. I don't recall anything that loaded being leveled at any draft prospect before.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #22
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

People were saying similar things about Alshon last year. We saw what happened with that. Some of these analysts truly have no clue what they're talking about.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #23
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPit

Meh, Hoge just tryin to get publicity. Saying dumb things is the fastest way to do that.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Merril's always been full of himself for one thing. He used to babysit (long ago) one of my friends who grew up in Boise with Hoge. Friend said he's always thought highly of himself. Also post concussion syndrome is really hitting Hoge hard these days. Seriously. The guy sued the Bears years back and won for multiple concussions. That tells you his brain isn't working right. There's also a good reason Hoge is just another talking head in the studio and not an NFL GM-not qualified nor fit for the job. I bet Mack disappears on a roster somewhere within no time. He's just the flavor of the month before draft day.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #25
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
I bet Mack disappears on a roster somewhere within no time. He's just the flavor of the month before draft day.
Everything I've seen or heard about Mack has been in the other direction - that he's going to be an impact player because of the multiple skills and assets he has. I doubt he would be the force on defense that Clowney will likely be, but he showed good speed and numbers at the combine to go with his great size and good season.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #26
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Everything I've seen or heard about Mack has been in the other direction - that he's going to be an impact player because of the multiple skills and assets he has. I doubt he would be the force on defense that Clowney will likely be, but he showed good speed and numbers at the combine to go with his great size and good season.
You may be right. Maybe I shouldn't dog on Mack though I don't think he's faced the talent Clowney's dominated (Mack did tear it up against OSU) and he's had a severe knee injury. Back to my original point regarding Hoge, anybody thats trashing Clowney's skills or talent is clueless. You can also praise Mack without trashing Clowney.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #27
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I guess we will see if MH is right or JC proves him wrong.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #28
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
You may be right. Maybe I shouldn't dog on Mack though I don't think he's faced the talent Clowney's dominated (Mack did tear it up against OSU) and he's had a severe knee injury. Back to my original point regarding Hoge, anybody thats trashing Clowney's skills or talent is clueless. You can also praise Mack without trashing Clowney.
I also think you can criticize Clowney without trashing him. Hoge's comments were unsupported trashing. Clowney's numbers dropped this year for a number of reasons. I saw him whiff a couple of times on sacks - and after the games he mentioned it himself. Missing the Ky game because of an injury got him a bunch of grief, but it was obvious to me how his presence was missed during the game. I still don't think he should have played and risk not playing against a better opponent. Every coach on Carolina's staff will tell you that Clowney's numbers this year were only a part of his impact.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #29
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

There is no doubt that Clowney will be a top first round pick. When he gets to the NFL, with the right line coach, he will be more a more disciplined player. No more coaches who are in awe of their star. The right coach will be tough on him and Clowney will live up to the hype. He knows the world is watching him and he will prove these pundits wrong. They will just go on to the next player to assault. It's all about sensationalism and ratings with these guys.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #30
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
It might be time to check this fool.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #31
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9444
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Clowney will be a first rounder, no doubt. I think I'd like to see him go first just bc he played for Carolina, not that my vote counted anyway. But then I realized it's probably best that he doesn't get drafted first, couple that with all the naysaying by commentators/analysts and maybe he falls to a team that really needs him and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. All this 1st Pick of the Draft talk will follow him his entire career, he's not even in the league yet and I'm sure he's tired of having to comment on it. Regardless of where he goes, I'm happy for him either way.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #32
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Hoge spews more vitriolic hatred toward certain players than any announcer I've ever heard, and that's saying something.

He was going downright easy on Clowney compared to the way he used to tear into Tim Tebow, for example. You would have thought Tebow had raped and killed Hoge's entire family and made him watch based on the unrestrained rage of Hoge's criticisms.

It's just what the guy does. He ripped Johnny Manziel a new one just a couple of weeks ago.

There's usually some amount of truth in his criticisms, but he frequently crosses way WAY over the line to the point of being a frothing-at-the-mouth hateful prick.

The guy must have been a joy to be around as a teammate.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:16 AM   #33
Wackums
Walk On

Male

Wackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his clawsWackums is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Hoge spews more vitriolic hatred toward certain players than any announcer I've ever heard, and that's saying something.

He was going downright easy on Clowney compared to the way he used to tear into Tim Tebow, for example. You would have thought Tebow had raped and killed Hoge's entire family and made him watch based on the unrestrained rage of Hoge's criticisms.

It's just what the guy does. He ripped Johnny Manziel a new one just a couple of weeks ago.

There's usually some amount of truth in his criticisms, but he frequently crosses way WAY over the line to the point of being a frothing-at-the-mouth hateful prick.

The guy must have been a joy to be around as a teammate.
He is the complete opposite of John Gruden lol
Wackums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #34
scfanz
Game MVP

Male

scfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot materialscfanz is USC mascot material

Quote:

Mods, please ban this troll.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #35
Gallo Pazzesco
Walk On

Male

Gallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC843 View Post
I vote we come back to this thread in about 2 years and as a group twitter bomb the hell out of Merril until he shrivels up into a little ball and cries himself into unemployment.
Agreed, bookmarked for future reference.
Gallo Pazzesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #36
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

Hoge is a complete dipsh!t. And yes, I have said that to

1.) ESPN
2.) Hoge's personal ESPN email account.

Being a health care professional it used to annoy the crap out of me when he used to talk about concussions on ESPN and say once a player show's signs of concussion he is "asymptomatic".

I took it upon myself to email ESPN and Mr. Hoge and educated both that "asymptomatic" means more or less - showing no signs. And if a player was showing signs of concussion, he would be "symptomatic". Interestingly enough, Hoge has since corrected his grammar but you can still find him talking like that on old clips.

I think he is a good guy though and being in the business he is in.....eventually he will say bad things about your team and/or your teams players. Just the nature of business....analysts will not agree with what you agree with 100% of the time. No biggie here as far as I'm concerned.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #37
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Wonder if these guys bashing Jadeveon realize they are also criticizing the guys who coached him?

All things considered, Jadeveon handled things reasonably well for a 20 yr. old. I hope he can continue to just smile and go out and do his thing.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #38
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

This is the same dumbass who decided Johnny Manziel was a top 2 round pick, after seeing him throw is pads, while being chased with brooms at his pro day.....

When you plant shit-seeds. You get shit-weeds.
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 PM   #39
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

this is just a mircocosm of our society... media, fans etc love to build people up only to hope they fail and tear them back down
Old 03-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #40
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I expect Clowney to make believers out of many.