CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Lankey62
Spurrier was Embaras (3397)
More David Williams (2800)
ECU is a good team (2385)
Is it possible for o (2229)
Spurrier not happy s (2046)
Gameday in Columbia (1239)
Curse of the Chicken (1190)
Alabama vs Florida. (1161)
Tonight's ugly win w (1040)
Our wide receivers w (996)
Polls
Is it possible for our Sp
More David Williams Pleas
SEC East Race as of 9/21
Name a Gamecock
Tonight's ugly win was in
UK fans and local sports
D line pressure
Gameday in Columbia
My guess is

Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #341
meesh982000
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 500
meesh982000 is learning to peck
Default Re: 2014 NCAA Women's Tournament:**USC vs. North Carolina GAME Thread**

PG-Cuevas
SG-Mitchell
SF-Wilson
PF-Welch
C-Coates

Right off the bench
PG-Sessions
SG-Cliney
SF-Dozier
PF-White
C-Ibiam

Yes Cuevas is the that good to start.
meesh982000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #342
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesh982000 View Post
PG-Cuevas
SG-Mitchell
SF-Wilson
PF-Welch
C-Coates

Right off the bench
PG-Sessions
SG-Cliney
SF-Dozier
PF-White
C-Ibiam

Yes Cuevas is the that good to start.
Cuevas is probably better than Sessions offensively right now . Defensively probably not . There is also a learning curve as far as running the half-court offense . I'll be surprised if she can start at PG right away . She may come off the bench some at PG and some at the off-guard as well .
scfastpitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #343
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Back to back sweet 16s is nothing to slouch at.
Nice job this year coach.

Hopefully next year the team can take that next step (if they can get Aja Wilson, look out).
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:55 PM   #344
Phillygamecock
Walk On

Male

Phillygamecock is making other chickens nervousPhillygamecock is making other chickens nervousPhillygamecock is making other chickens nervousPhillygamecock is making other chickens nervousPhillygamecock is making other chickens nervousPhillygamecock is making other chickens nervousPhillygamecock is making other chickens nervous

As of right now, this is how I see next year:

Starters
1- Sessions
2- Mitchell
3- Dozier
4- Welch
5- Ibiam

Bench
Guards- Roy, Davis, Gaines, Duckett, Cuevas, Cliney
Forward- White
Center- Coates

I say you start Ibiam since she will be a senior and has greatly improved this year. While Coates may be be playing better right now, I love the impact off the bench she gives us. It has worked so well this year so why stop. White will be more of a 4 here and that works perfectly to back up Welch. I also expect to see Welch move to the 3 when two of the three bigs are in, much like this year.

Guard play will be a big question. Unless Cuevas comes in and demonstrates she can lead our team, Sessions will be the starting point guard. Davis and Roy could see some time there too. Gaines and Duckett will come off the bench as the 2 though Gaines will be used primarily for defensive purposes. Cliney may be an x-factor. She is a taller guard but can shoot the three. I expect playing time be determined by who can consistently shoot from the outside while not sacrificing their defensive effort.

I'm really excited to see this play out!
Phillygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #345
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
We need a point and shooting guards and we are elite.
I admit I haven't watched many games (can't see them out here). However, from what I saw yesterday this stood out to me immediately. We NEED an outside presence. UNC packed the paint yesterday. We got the ball inside but it was tough to score.

We need an outside threat to make this team balanced and keep teams from clogging up the paint. This was something that stood out to me during the game yesterday - we are weak at the guard spots.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #346
AmonRa777
Recruit

Male

AmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
I admit I haven't watched many games (can't see them out here). However, from what I saw yesterday this stood out to me immediately. We NEED an outside presence. UNC packed the paint yesterday. We got the ball inside but it was tough to score.

We need an outside threat to make this team balanced and keep teams from clogging up the paint. This was something that stood out to me during the game yesterday - we are weak at the guard spots.
I agree 100%....Went to bed thinking we would have beaten the Heels by 15 with a couple of outside shooters...Tiffany Mitchell is the only player with the toughness to knock them down in the clutch...I know Coach Staley has a couple of guards signed that can really stroke it...They should make an impact next season
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #347
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I think White will start at center and Coates at power forward next season. We may start Welch at small forward and Mitchell at shooting guard. I could see Bianca Cuevas getting a hard look at point guard. Ibiam can backup White and Coates, with Dozier backing up Welch and Duckett backing up Mitchell. If A'ja is here, then she will backup Welch at SF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP_45 View Post
Dozier was not bad tonight (aside from the late airball), but it's essentially the same story any time we lose: lack of offense from her and Sessions.

Tonight: Dozier 7 points (3-7), Sessions 0 points (0-8)
UNC in December: Dozier 3 points (1-3), Sessions 4 points (1-8)
Texas A&M: Dozier 5 points (2-9), Sessions 2 points (0-4)
Tennessee: Dozier 3 points (1-3), Sessions 3 points (1-5)
Kentucky: Dozier 0 points (0-7), Sessions 2 points (1-3)

Ultimately, we finished 2-5 against ranked teams. It's tough to beat any top team with two starters barely providing offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post

This was our problem in every game we lost this year.

Did you notice them pack four defenders in the lane and not even cover Sessions at all on many possessions.

I am also expecting Dawn to start and play whomever is the best and not give a crap who is a senior or whatever.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #348
meesh982000
Walk On

Female

meesh982000 is learning to peck

We need some guards that can stretch the defense. That's why I said to start Cuevas.
meesh982000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #349
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
This was our problem in every game we lost this year.

Did you notice them pack four defenders in the lane and not even cover Sessions at all on many possessions.

I am also expecting Dawn to start and play whomever is the best and not give a crap who is a senior or whatever.
Sessions didn't make them pay for it, so who can blame them?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #350
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
If we get Wilson I would think it would be like this:

1. Sessions
2. Mitchell
3. Wilson
4. Welch
5. Coates

I think Wilson is too good to keep off the bench, Coates has surpassed Ibiam and needs to start, Mitchell shoots well enough to start at the 2, leaving Dozier as the odd man out. Obviously Welch is a starter and Sessions is our PG unless Cuevas comes in and is on a whole nother level.
Just because one player maybe be better than the other. It doesn't mean that player gets to start. It could mean they get more minutes. Staley has a soft spot for Sessions and Ibiam. The new girls will probably be on the bench but that won't meant they won't get their minutes. Maybe more minutes if they are effective.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #351
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
I agree 100%....Went to bed thinking we would have beaten the Heels by 15 with a couple of outside shooters...Tiffany Mitchell is the only player with the toughness to knock them down in the clutch...I know Coach Staley has a couple of guards signed that can really stroke it...They should make an impact next season
We have some good outside Shooters. The problem is some of them are not good for much else. Roy and Davis are good perimeter shooters. We need work on passing quicker to get them open shots. Dozier and Sessions should be told not to shot 3's. Our big problem is, we are not that well coached when it comes to passing and cutting, and playing together. We have too much one-on-however many offense going on.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #352
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Just because one player maybe be better than the other. It doesn't mean that player gets to start. It could mean they get more minutes. Staley has a soft spot for Sessions and Ibiam. The new girls will probably be on the bench but that won't meant they won't get their minutes. Maybe more minutes if they are effective.
I'm a fan of Ibiam and think she's a solid SEC talent but Coates is a better player now. Pretty much the only reason we had Coates on the bench this year was because she was a freshman and Ibiam was a Junior. There were about equal to start the year then Coates really took over throughout the year, but Dawn kept her on the bench to keep the mojo. No reason to keep Coates on the bench next year when she's a sophomore.

Someone will have to exit the starting lineup though to make room for Wilson (if we get her), so I'm thinking Dozier. JMO
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #353
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I agree. Basketball isn't always about starting the 5 best players you have. Most of the time it matters who you close games with than start.

Sessions isn't a strong outside shooter but she knows how to run the offense and has Staley's trust for the most part. Cuevas is probably going to be a better player in the long run, but it's hard to insert a freshman into the starting lineup right off the bat for a veteran team trying to go deep into the tournament. There's no guarantee that A'Ja would start if she comes here either.

There's a great case for starting Coates over Ibiam, but she was so good off the bench, that it might be an element to keep next season. All in all, these are GREAT problems to have when you can start or finish a game with any combination of 9-10 players.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 PM   #354
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous

You don't recruit top-tier talent just to sit them on the bench. Cuevas almost certainly will sit. (Highly unlikely Dawn starts a freshman PG). IMO If Jatarie is the post player that she is advertised; it will be her and Coates. A'ja might be a wild-card (if she comes) but only because Welch is so talented.

With all this being said maybe the BIGS get together over the summer and all get better. Who knows Elem could be better next year.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #355
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Maybe its just me, but i felt like all year our bigs missed 7 or 8 easy buckets a game, and against good teams that played us tough it hurt us big time, last night was a prime example. If the bigs make those easy layups like coates did late, we win

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote