CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
gadeneer1986
B-G
Latt7more
ReadR00ster
CoverTwo
b381l
Why is everyone anti (1751)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Just thought of some (991)
How did we not make (985)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (844)
Miss St. defense (834)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (641)
SOS says his next st (453)
Busta out indefinite (430)
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Party like it's 1903
Bruce Ellington's First T
Lattimore to play after S
Busta out indefinitely.
Why is everyone anticipat
How did we not make it.
Miss St. defense
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
SOS says his next stop is

Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous
Default Nice MD28 article

Per ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...reakout-season
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Nice MD28 article

It's good to have MD healthy. But it will be great to have a 100% Brandon Wilds to take some of the load off him.

Our depth at RB is awesome.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

It'll be interesting to see how Sands/Elliott/Spurrier divvy up the carries between Davis/Wilds/Carson/Williams. I believe Coach Sands said that they worked Mike too hard last year.

Also, without a threat to keep the ball on the zone read plays, what happens when Mike is the focus? I'd be somewhat surprised if the "read" is still part of the playbook this year because Thompson/Mitch/Orth aren't threats to keep it every time. Probably going to go back to predominately inside zone and designed QB keeps like we did with Garcia.

Either the passing game is really going to have to be efficient most games to open up the run or the offensive line is going to have to make something happen against 8 man fronts.

Running game & balance offensively is definitely a big key this year.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Sands/Elliott/Spurrier divvy up the carries between Davis/Wilds/Carson/Williams. I believe Coach Sands said that they worked Mike too hard last year.

Also, without a threat to keep the ball on the zone read plays, what happens when Mike is the focus? I'd be somewhat surprised if the "read" is still part of the playbook this year because Thompson/Mitch/Orth aren't threats to keep it every time. Probably going to go back to predominately inside zone and designed QB keeps like we did with Garcia.

Either the passing game is really going to have to be efficient most games to open up the run or the offensive line is going to have to make something happen against 8 man fronts.

Running game & balance offensively is definitely a big key this year.
The past few years we've based everything off of setting up the read and all that, but only ran the read itself only a few times a game, Mangus still likes THompson's speed and has talked about trying to convince Mitch that he's as fast as he is. You won't see QB draws, but every indication from the coaches says we aren't scrapping the read. Everyone is talking about moving to pocket passers, but whenever our coaches talk about who we get they talk about how much they like in both their running and throwing. None of our guys will break off 60 yard runs, but out offense doesn't call them to. I mean hell, we've ran Thompson plenty in his career, and he's done well with it.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
The past few years we've based everything off of setting up the read and all that, but only ran the read itself only a few times a game, Mangus still likes THompson's speed and has talked about trying to convince Mitch that he's as fast as he is. You won't see QB draws, but every indication from the coaches says we aren't scrapping the read. Everyone is talking about moving to pocket passers, but whenever our coaches talk about who we get they talk about how much they like in both their running and throwing. None of our guys will break off 60 yard runs, but out offense doesn't call them to. I mean hell, we've ran Thompson plenty in his career, and he's done well with it.
A lot of Thompson's carries have been in the redzone though which ultimately is what counts. However I think its going to be interesting watching the run game/scheme between the 20's. Given what we THINK our offensive line is going to be capable of and the personnel we do have, maybe we mix in more sprint draw and more power runs from traditional undercenter sets. I just don't see the zone plays being as effective as they were with Connor. Going to have to get a little more creative I think.

Even with a healthy Connor, the run game stalled out against Clemson and Wisky for whatever reason unless it was Connor making a play.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
USCfootball
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 116336
USCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervousUSCfootball is making other chickens nervous

I would welcome 8 man fronts. With the quality at WR and an experienced QB - Dylan will light up that D.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
A lot of Thompson's carries have been in the redzone though which ultimately is what counts. However I think its going to be interesting watching the run game/scheme between the 20's. Given what we THINK our offensive line is going to be capable of and the personnel we do have, maybe we mix in more sprint draw and more power runs from traditional undercenter sets. I just don't see the zone plays being as effective as they were with Connor. Going to have to get a little more creative I think.

Even with a healthy Connor, the run game stalled out against Clemson and Wisky for whatever reason unless it was Connor making a play.
I agree. Defenses are going to focus on stopping Mike D. I'd expect to see some of the types of running plays from the Mitchell era and some of the Garcia eta brought back.

I think the drives where spurrier really wants to burn some clock he will bring in Cooper to run the zone read.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Gallo Pazzesco
Walk On

Male

Gallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervousGallo Pazzesco is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
We certainly do appear to be loaded at RB more-so than at any other time that I can remember in the recent past.

I do hope MD28 has a healthy and productive season, free from any major injuries and leaving him able to reach his full potential.

We are certainly blessed with the talent and depth we are enjoying these days.
Gallo Pazzesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
That is what I don't get...where do people get the idea Thompson can't run the zone-read...he has proven he can run it before...is it his forte?
NO.

Is he as big a threat in the run-game as Connor was? No.

But Thompson I think can at least make teams stay honest in the run game...I mean, he can break off 20 yards when we only need 19.

If Thompson can consistently get 4-6 yards when he keeps on the zone read, that is great by me.

Like you said, don't scrap the read...but just not use it as the setup of the offense this ear.

We got three powerful runners in Davis, Wilds and Williams...set up the power run with them to get the playaction pass and supplement with the zone read.

Plus, I think we use Pharoh a lot more this year in the Wildcat.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

I remember McFadden and Jones setting records against us...Our stable of running backs has that potential.

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #11
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I feel like we will see more traditional power runs this season.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #12
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
It looked like the OL became dependent on Connor's 3rd down running ability. I don't like using the word lazy.
The 2014 OL needs to improve their run blocking but USC's offensive power will mainly be passing. There is a different mind set between pass blocking and run blocking.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
It looked like the OL became dependent on Connor's 3rd down running ability. I don't like using the word lazy.
The 2014 OL needs to improve their run blocking but USC's offensive power will mainly be passing. There is a different mind set between pass blocking and run blocking.
I agree with you about the o line. Towards the end of the season we just couldn't get a very good push. Also, Clemson played a lot with 8 men in the box against us and that worked well for them. Wisconsin also played 7-8 in the box vs us.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I agree with you about the o line. Towards the end of the season we just couldn't get a very good push. Also, Clemson played a lot with 8 men in the box against us and that worked well for them. Wisconsin also played 7-8 in the box vs us.
I thought the Wisconsin OL was the best run blocking line Ive seen in years but yet they lost to us. Still we need better run blocking. We need to be able to hand off on third and one and get it. I don't think we could do that lately.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 979723021
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

One thing I would like to throw in....... with Shaw running the ball, we had a capable backup...... but with Thompson running and getting hurt, I don't believe we have as capable of a backup. Thus I see Dylan running as a lesser option.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
One thing I would like to throw in....... with Shaw running the ball, we had a capable backup...... but with Thompson running and getting hurt, I don't believe we have as capable of a backup. Thus I see Dylan running as a lesser option.
DT is a bigger guy than Connor. Less likely to get hurt. Dylan can be a tough guy to bring down.
As far as a backup QB I think we will have one by Sept. I'm sure Spurrier has a backup picked out already. I think it is Orth. Spurrier is very turnover-conscious in his choice of QBs.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

What were his actual injuries last year?

That seems to have somehow been cloaked in mystery.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #18
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
that's because davis and wilds were injured.

our ol is deeper and more talented this year, and we have a lot of help for davis. i think our offense will be extremely successful this season, and if our secondary situation messes out, this could be one of the top teams in the sec.
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote