CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
A. Pilgrim
gadeneer1986
doubledribble
Lonnie
B-G
Latt7more
Why is everyone anti (2028)
How did we not make (1149)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Just thought of some (1028)
Miss St. defense (941)
Busta out indefinite (878)
SOS says his next st (764)
Let us clarify some (740)
Is Clowney back toni (665)
Our Road Upset Wins (506)
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Busta out indefinitely.
Our Road Upset Wins
Why is everyone anticipat
Lattimore to play after S
No easy road for our offe
SEC Football Legend: Shel
Miss St. defense
Media tabs South Carolina
Seventh Woods (2016 Prosp

Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Garnet22
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 500
Garnet22 has hatched from the shell
Default Info/Media on Joe Morrison Needed

Hello All!

I am a Higher Education and Student Affairs graduate student here at the University of South Carolina (Go Cocks!), and I chose Joe Morrison as the subject of my Historical Biography paper and presentation.

I have gathered a variety of newspaper articles and general information on JoMo, but I would love some of your colorful input (things not found in newspapers) on his legacy here at USC. If you have any unique pictures/videos of Joe Morrison or any photos of football memorabilia from that era that you'd like to share, I would love to use it in my presentation.

Also, I know some of you were here at USC that time, if you have any personal stories or experiences you'd like to share, I'd love to add those, as well.

Finally, if there is anyone you believe that I should contact/interview, I would appreciate that feedback, also!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post! I look forward to sharing the life of Joe Morrison with those unaware of his legacy here at USC! :)
Garnet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Birdwatcher
Recruit

CockyCash: 200
Birdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spurs
Default Re: Info/Media on Joe Morrison Needed

He was a Boy Scout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UBrQOvyu0

I would try to secure an interview with Todd Ellis.
Birdwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Make sure you include "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The 2 QB system of the '84 season was part of Coach Joe's legacy as well as that statement.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Birdwatcher
Recruit

Birdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spursBirdwatcher has earned his spurs

He also started the 2001 entrance.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

if it ain't swayin we ain't playin
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

loved his quote on why he started wearing black. " it was clean and it fit"

not some big deal
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Heard he didn't say anything after the Navy lost just wrote on chalkboard 3 things we had lost not just the game and marked through each one. Number 1 ranking, Orange Bowl, national championship.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Might want to see if The State has some archives from then and some historical stories. Sports Illustrated also has a few.

I will say I went to school then, and I remember his death. It was a Sunday night and people were in shock.

There's a couple of players from that time period on the board, maybe they can help.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
mexcock
Walk On

Male

mexcock has hatched from the shell

story going the rounds back then-- the other coaches used to rag him about how he dressed. One day he came in all dressed nice and the coaches started laughing. Joe, you still wearing those white socks.
mexcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #10
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 799000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Only coach I've ever seen, and I mean ever, closed hand puffing on a cig during a game.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
Only coach I've ever seen, and I mean ever, closed hand puffing on a cig during a game.
Yep...hard to believe, but he smoked on the sidelines.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
Garnet22
Walk On

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
He was a Boy Scout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04UBrQOvyu0

I would try to secure an interview with Todd Ellis.
Thank you for the suggestion, Birdwatcher! I'll be sure to see if I can get some time with him!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
Garnet22
Walk On

Female

I'm really enjoying these tidbits about Joe Morrison, everyone! I especially didn't know about the 3 things he wrote on the chalkboard, about him smoking on the sidelines, the night/atmosphere he passed away, and about getting teased by the other coaches. Based off of what I'm finding in articles and the info here, I'm extremely confident that I picked the right man to research.

If anyone has any other memories, unique photos/videos, or suggestions of who to contact, please continue to share! Thank you!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Garnet22
Walk On

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Might want to see if The State has some archives from then and some historical stories. Sports Illustrated also has a few.

I will say I went to school then, and I remember his death. It was a Sunday night and people were in shock.

There's a couple of players from that time period on the board, maybe they can help.
Thank you for the suggestions! Which players are members on this board? Usernames? I appreciate your guidance with that.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #15
Birdwatcher
Recruit

I do remember reading a published story about Kent Hagood, a running back who had quit school and left the team prior to Morrison's arrival. Have no idea where I read it.

Hagood was at home at his mother's house when a black crown vick pulled up out front. He looked out and a man dressed in all black stepped out and came to the front door. The man was JoMo.

Coach convinced him he needed to re-enroll and play ball for him.

Hagood said the man made him feel like he had no choice. Said he was more convincing than his recruiters out of high school.

If you get up with Ellis, maybe he could give you a lead on where Hagood is now and ask him about it.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #16
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Might want to do a brief check on his pro career with the NY Giants. He was a multipurpose type player in that he played different positions, as needed, offense and defense. If I am not mistaken, his number was retired by them, #40. Tough competitor and a fan favorite.

Last edited by brat; 04-02-2014 at 07:16 AM.
brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #17
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet22 View Post
I'm really enjoying these tidbits about Joe Morrison, everyone! I especially didn't know about the 3 things he wrote on the chalkboard, about him smoking on the sidelines, the night/atmosphere he passed away, and about getting teased by the other coaches. Based off of what I'm finding in articles and the info here, I'm extremely confident that I picked the right man to research.

If anyone has any other memories, unique photos/videos, or suggestions of who to contact, please continue to share! Thank you!
Caroliniana Library on the Horseshoe has archives of all the old Gamecock publications, and the annual yearbooks. I would look in there for unique photographs and articles that are not widespread.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #18
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Might find a few items here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Morrison
Old 04-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
St. Louis Gamecock
Recruit

Male

St. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his combSt. Louis Gamecock is developing his comb

When I lived in Cola me and a buddy of mine were watching practice one spring day. Coach Morrison came out from under the stands right where we were peering through the fences (couldn’t get inside that particular day, but we just liked hanging around the stadium to take in everything Gamecock). He approached us, introduced himself and then we asked him about taking a tour of the stadium. He told us to call his secretary to set up an appt. As we were rehashing his instructions, he paused and said, “do you guys have some time now?” Oh my gosh, it was great! He gave us a personal tour of the entire stadium, locker rooms, weight room, etc – we even sat in his office for a short while and chatted.

He was really nice to us and that is a memory I will cherish forever!
St. Louis Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet22 View Post
Hello All!

I am a Higher Education and Student Affairs graduate student here at the University of South Carolina (Go Cocks!), and I chose Joe Morrison as the subject of my Historical Biography paper and presentation.

I have gathered a variety of newspaper articles and general information on JoMo, but I would love some of your colorful input (things not found in newspapers) on his legacy here at USC. If you have any unique pictures/videos of Joe Morrison or any photos of football memorabilia from that era that you'd like to share, I would love to use it in my presentation.

Also, I know some of you were here at USC that time, if you have any personal stories or experiences you'd like to share, I'd love to add those, as well.

Finally, if there is anyone you believe that I should contact/interview, I would appreciate that feedback, also!

Thank you for taking the time to read this post! I look forward to sharing the life of Joe Morrison with those unaware of his legacy here at USC! :)

As someone who has his degree in history from USC, I'd be curious as to how you're going to cite your sources for information you're seeking to obtain in this thread.

I'm not asking to be a jerk, I'm asking because I'm legitimately intrigued at the idea of perusing a message board for information to be included in a historical biography. Its a medium I never would have thought to include back in my day.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote