CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
kingofnerf
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
MWard
robgusc76
Wilds & Carson B (2499)
Marquavius Lewis (2429)
So, why is next year (2283)
How Long Will The Re (1473)
Restaurant musts in (1074)
Why do so many of yo (1016)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (820)
Shot in the arm for (809)
Custom Jersey (431)
5 Gourmet Foods That (290)
Why do so many of you guy
Frank Martin's Game has b
2015 Commitment - Dante S
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Further clarification on
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields

Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Future of USA Golf

What do you guys think about the future of American golf? I watch Morning Drive on Golf Central most mornings and a couple guys on there have been making good points that US golf is in transition where Tiger, Phil, etc etc are starting to "phase out" and there is a huge crop of young golfers up & coming. Have to say I like some of these new guys like Matt Every, Jordan Speith, Will MacKenzie, Chesson Hadley, etc etc.

Apparently there is a big time college player turning pro very soon too. Can't remember his name though.

Thoughts?

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Future of USA Golf

We were spoiled by The Phil/Tiger era. Tiger is nowhere near where he was. Phil is still Phil, but he is getting older. It will be tough to compare to those years where Tiger and Phil were killing it.

Of the guys you listed, I only know of Speith. Hes a good player. And there are a good number of good players out there from the US. Hopefully they can get good quick. I just cant see it getting to the "dominant" level. These guys need Ryder Cup experience. I always look at those type of events as a gauge for US golfers.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Willy Mac had been around for quite a while...I have played with him twice and he is one hell of a nice guy and I am so glad to see him playing well again! Spieth may be the next big name once he starts to win a little more! I fir one enjoy the lack of a dominant player as it makes watching a little more interesting with all the unpredictability! I would add DJ to your list as well
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Whatever happened to Sean O'Hair, Anthony Kim, and Rickie Fowler, lol? The situation is fluid, I think. Dominant players will be few and far between in the future.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 104363
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
What do you guys think about the future of American golf? I watch Morning Drive on Golf Central most mornings and a couple guys on there have been making good points that US golf is in transition where Tiger, Phil, etc etc are starting to "phase out" and there is a huge crop of young golfers up & coming. Have to say I like some of these new guys like Matt Every, Jordan Speith, Will MacKenzie, Chesson Hadley, etc etc.

Apparently there is a big time college player turning pro very soon too. Can't remember his name though.

Thoughts?
that kid from UCLA? Patrick Cantlay? He's good, really good, but I don't think I've heard much from him in a while.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900000
kabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his combkabercr2 is developing his comb

Really like Anthony Kim, wish he could get it turned around.
kabercr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talons

I almost think that there are too many talented young golfers. There are dozens of golfers who could win each week making it hard to develop a large and enthusiastic following ala Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson, Mickelson or Woods. There were only a handful of golfers that could realistic challenge those guys in their prime. It seems like there is a new golfer either winning or contending each week.
rrsandersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Kid on Carolina's team, Matt Nesmith, from North Augusta was the top rated junior player in the world in 2012. He played in a PGA event as an amateur but didnt make the cut. Haven't followed his career at Carolina. Believe he's a sophomore. His home course he grew up playing on is Houndslake here in Aiken. I have a former co-worker that knows him well and has played with him many times at Houndslake says he has big time talent and could be on the tour in a few years.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

There are a lot of quality young American players on the tour right now. This is just my personal opinion, but I believe that the depth of American golfers is better now than it was say 9-10 years ago. It used to be Tiger and then everyone else. Now, there are a lot of players that can win any time they tee it up.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Difference between Phil and Tiger and a lot of their contemporaries is how much they love the game. For Tiger it is the competition, for Phil I think it is the game and its history. There are so many young talents that make so much money so quickly their focus changes. It was a lot easier to stay motivated when 72k was all you banked for a major.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #11
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
Willy Mac had been around for quite a while...I have played with him twice and he is one hell of a nice guy and I am so glad to see him playing well again! Spieth may be the next big name once he starts to win a little more! I fir one enjoy the lack of a dominant player as it makes watching a little more interesting with all the unpredictability! I would add DJ to your list as well
Yeah I do too but I'm really excited about some of these young guys that are starting to show up on the big stage. Ryder Cup is going to be interesting for sure.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 03-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
Whatever happened to Sean O'Hair, Anthony Kim, and Rickie Fowler, lol? The situation is fluid, I think. Dominant players will be few and far between in the future.
O'Hair pops up on leaderboards every now and then. Same with Charles Howell III.

Kim fell off the map. Did he get hurt?

Ricky is having a pretty decent start. He usually turns it up when the majors come around. Definitely one of my favorite players to watch.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
that kid from UCLA? Patrick Cantlay? He's good, really good, but I don't think I've heard much from him in a while.
That may be who I was thinking of.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
mc4usc
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
mc4usc is sharpening his clawsmc4usc is sharpening his clawsmc4usc is sharpening his clawsmc4usc is sharpening his clawsmc4usc is sharpening his claws

The kid you're thinking of is Patrick Rodgers from Stanford. Patrick Cantlay turned pro over a year ago and actually has PGA TOUR status (injured his back so he's out).
mc4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

here are the rankings for the junior golfers

http://www.ajga.org/RankingDBNew/

there was an AJGA event in Columbia this past weekend
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
Jim Lahey
I'm on the white liqour

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I think the future is very bright. Rickie Fowler has been going thru some swing changes this year and should return to form in 2015. Jordan Speith is only 20 years old and a great talent. Patrick Reed, from North Augusta, has already won 3 times including a WGC event. Chesson Hadley won for the first time a few weeks back. Everyone knows Dustin Johnson is a beast. Matt Kuchar is destined to win a major sometime soon. This years Ryder Cup team is going to look very different. If Phil and Tiger can get healthy we should have a very strong team.

Lim Jahey! Pleased to meet you, bud!
Jim Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4usc View Post
The kid you're thinking of is Patrick Rodgers from Stanford. Patrick Cantlay turned pro over a year ago and actually has PGA TOUR status (injured his back so he's out).
That's the guy. Thanks man.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #18
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

I'm only just over the past year really starting to get into golf (playing and watching). So I don't have any real opinion here, but it seems to me that having a few guys really step up and be the consistent stars would be good for the sport.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
O'Hair pops up on leaderboards every now and then.
He struggled last year. I thought he might develop into a top player, now I have doubts about that. I root for the guy because of his background - you should google the stories about him and his crazy father.
Quote:
Kim fell off the map. Did he get hurt?
He ruptured his achilles in '12, and I still don't think I've heard anything about him since.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote