CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Master Bedroom
Gamecocks1137
garnet_black215
CockyRyan
Regalcock
GamecockSuperFan
WeStillOwnUSC
StormOfTalons
MWard
Clemson Recruiting.. (3423)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1572)
Ranking the Opposing (1441)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (1173)
Not a Rival.. (1078)
Gamecock Coaches as (957)
NCAA Football 15 (581)
Hello Gamecocks! (527)
Marching band (460)
John Rocker at rock (384)
2015 - Mon Denson
2015 - Traveon Samuel
Clemson Recruiting...how
2015 Commitment - Damon A
John Rocker at rock botto
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
Good Article on Auburn's
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Website Design Help
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit

Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
B-G
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: BEST ALL TIME MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGCfan View Post
Good call on Josh Gibson, I forgot about him. But Jeter over Wagner, Banks, Smith, Cronin etc. seems like a mistake
I wanted to be edgy.

Everyone kept putting the same people.
My team would rake in October.

I should just change this and put guys who I actually saw play. (So it would be 3)
Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #22
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

Was Ted Williams more limited defensively than some of the guys posted? Because it just seems crazy to have an all time list like this and not see him on the first team.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
roosterdude21
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 317
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Kenny Powers
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #24
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish17 View Post
P-Bob Feller
P-Sandy Koufax
C-Yogi Berra
1B-Stan Musial
2B-Jackie Robinson
3B-Pete Rose
SS-Ernie Banks
LF-Ted Williams
CF-Joe DiMaggio
RF-Frank Robinson

P-Babe Ruth
P-Satchel Paige
C-Johnny Bench
1B -Lou Gehrig
2B-Rogers Hornsby
3B-George Brett
SS-Honus Wagner
LF-Carl Yastrzemski
CF-Mickey Mantle
RF-Roberto Clemente
like the list a lot but can't get down wit Pete Rose at 3B. He played OF more than anything, then 1B, then 3B, then 2B
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

I'm really surprised Chipper Jones didn't get anyone's consideration at 3B.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #26
B-G
Game MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Was Ted Williams more limited defensively than some of the guys posted? Because it just seems crazy to have an all time list like this and not see him on the first team.
He does have one of the lowest Defensive WARs among the top 30 or so Outfielders.

It's not Manny Ramirez bad but it's pretty low.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #27
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

P- Cy Young: 511 wins, 20+ wins 15 times,
P- Walter Johnson: won 20+ 10 years in a row. 110 shut outs
P-Nolan Ryan: 7 no hitters, 5714 strike outs, never won a cy young award

C-Carlton Fisk: personal favorite
1B - Jimmie Foxx: 13 straight 100 RBI seasons and a Triple Crown
2B - Rogers Hornsby: hit .400 three times, lifetime batting average .359 (2nd all time)
SS - Cal Ripken Jr.: 2nd in hits, 2nd in runs, 1st in HRs, and 1st in RBIs for SS. He was the game changer for the position due to his size
3B - Mike Schmidt: 10 gold gloves, led league in HRs 8 times, and 3 MVP

Picking 4 OF because I know people will hate 1 of them and not consider him.

CF - Willie Mays: best all around player ever according to my father and grandfather. .302, 660HR, 1903 RBI
RF - Babe Ruth: because he is Babe frickin Ruth
LF - Ted Williams: could have been the best player ever. Last .400 hitter, .344 lifetime average, 2nd in slugging to Ruth, 521 HRs and consider he missed 3 full season and part of 2 other seasons because he was a FIGHTER PILOT he would have hit 700 HR

OF- Barry Bonds: the best player I have ever seen. People complain about the steroids but he was the best player in the league before that and looked around and saw all the attention everyone else was getting. I can't blame him the whole league was cheating. .298, 762 HR, 1996, RBI, 2227 Runs, 514 stolen bases. His swing was the fastest, shortest, most compact I have ever seen in a power hitter. 2000 was the year that most think he started using steroids. The 10 years before that he averaged 109Runs, 148 Hits, 36 HR, .301BA, 107 RBI, 34 stolen bases, 115 BB, .603 SLG, 1.035 OPS, 179 OPS+, 3 MVPs, 8 gold gloves, 7 silver sluggers, 8 all stars. He is also one of only 40/40 guys and the only 500HR/500SB guy.
________
this is the most time I have ever thought about a post on this site
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #28
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I am an Orioles guy.

Surprised, noone other than the poster above me said Cal Ripken at SS.

Frank Robinson?
Brooks Robinson? I guess I am a homer.

I was always a fan of Eddie Murray as a kid.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #29
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

My favorites of the all time greats, not necessarily who I think are the all time best:

Team 1
SP: Tom Glavine
SP: Greg Maddux
RP: John Smoltz
C: Carlton Fisk
1B: Frank Thomas
2B: Napoleon Lajoie
SS: Ozzie Smith
3B: Chipper Jones
OF: Ted Williams
OF: Ken Griffey Jr
OF: Hank Aaron
DH: Edgar Martinez
Manager: Bobby Cox

Team 2
SP: Randy Johnson
SP: Sandy Koufax
RP: Dennis Eckersley
C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Harmon Killebrew
2B: Ryne Sandberg
SS: Cal Ripken Jr
3B: Eddie Matthews
OF: "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
OF: Ty Cobb
OF: Frank Robinson
DH: David Ortiz
Manager: John McGraw
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #30
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Pitcher - Bob Gibson
Pitcher - Greg Maddox
1st Base - Fred McGriff
2nd Base - Bill Mazeroski
S. Stop - Ozzie Givens
3rd Base - Cleat Boyer
Left Field - Carl Yastrzemski
Centerfield - Willie Mays
Right Field - Roberto Clemente
Catcher - Carlton Fisk
DH - Hank Aaron

Working on the second team
We all LOVE the Crime Dog, but McGriff was only on 11.7% of Hall of Fame ballots last year. He's still eligible, and I hope he gets in, but being on the bubble for the Hall probably puts one a little further down the list.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM   #31
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

I don't know if Ted Williams would have made the All Defensive Team, but you have to remember that he missed about 6 years serving in both WW II and the Korean War. What kind of records or how much better could he have been if he had not served his country. Who knows, it may have taken something away from his abilities too? I am a Yankees Fan, but the "Ted Williams" has to be rated as one of the all time best. Yes, you give up some with his glove, but look what you get with his bat. My all time favorite hero, the "The Mighty Mickey Mantle" had to give up some defense after tearing his knees to shreds, but he could win you a game with one swing of his bat.

It is good to see all of the great names mentioned. I am glad to see Cal Ripken put in there, but Ernie Banks also changed the game with his power as a SS and he played at a time when he still caught a lot of heat for his race. I always loved watching him play when I was a little boy because he played for the love of the game as did many of his era. Keep it coming for all of us that love the game of baseball.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #32
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
My favorites of the all time greats, not necessarily who I think are the all time best:

Team 1
SP: Tom Glavine
SP: Greg Maddux
RP: John Smoltz
C: Carlton Fisk
1B: Frank Thomas
2B: Napoleon Lajoie
SS: Ozzie Smith
3B: Chipper Jones
OF: Ted Williams
OF: Ken Griffey Jr
OF: Hank Aaron
DH: Edgar Martinez
Manager: Bobby Cox

Team 2
SP: Randy Johnson
SP: Sandy Koufax
RP: Dennis Eckersley
C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Harmon Killebrew
2B: Ryne Sandberg
SS: Cal Ripken Jr
3B: Eddie Matthews
OF: "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
OF: Ty Cobb
OF: Frank Robinson
DH: David Ortiz
Manager: John McGraw

Great picks. That's what it is all about, who you think were the best two teams in baseball history. Stats don't tell it all as some of these guys had to serve in the military and some had to play hurt in a time when you played or they would cut your pay or cut you from the team. Shoeless Joe Jackson, he should be in the Hall Of Fame. A simple man who could not read or write that well, but Ty Cobb said that he was the best baseball player he had ever seen and coming from Ty Cobb that was a lot!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #33
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
P- Cy Young: 511 wins, 20+ wins 15 times,
P- Walter Johnson: won 20+ 10 years in a row. 110 shut outs
P-Nolan Ryan: 7 no hitters, 5714 strike outs, never won a cy young award

C-Carlton Fisk: personal favorite
1B - Jimmie Foxx: 13 straight 100 RBI seasons and a Triple Crown
2B - Rogers Hornsby: hit .400 three times, lifetime batting average .359 (2nd all time)
SS - Cal Ripken Jr.: 2nd in hits, 2nd in runs, 1st in HRs, and 1st in RBIs for SS. He was the game changer for the position due to his size
3B - Mike Schmidt: 10 gold gloves, led league in HRs 8 times, and 3 MVP

Picking 4 OF because I know people will hate 1 of them and not consider him.

CF - Willie Mays: best all around player ever according to my father and grandfather. .302, 660HR, 1903 RBI
RF - Babe Ruth: because he is Babe frickin Ruth
LF - Ted Williams: could have been the best player ever. Last .400 hitter, .344 lifetime average, 2nd in slugging to Ruth, 521 HRs and consider he missed 3 full season and part of 2 other seasons because he was a FIGHTER PILOT he would have hit 700 HR

OF- Barry Bonds: the best player I have ever seen. People complain about the steroids but he was the best player in the league before that and looked around and saw all the attention everyone else was getting. I can't blame him the whole league was cheating. .298, 762 HR, 1996, RBI, 2227 Runs, 514 stolen bases. His swing was the fastest, shortest, most compact I have ever seen in a power hitter. 2000 was the year that most think he started using steroids. The 10 years before that he averaged 109Runs, 148 Hits, 36 HR, .301BA, 107 RBI, 34 stolen bases, 115 BB, .603 SLG, 1.035 OPS, 179 OPS+, 3 MVPs, 8 gold gloves, 7 silver sluggers, 8 all stars. He is also one of only 40/40 guys and the only 500HR/500SB guy.
________
this is the most time I have ever thought about a post on this site

Barry Bonds would have went down as one of the greatest players of all time before the PED's came out against him. He was just a great player, but there is no doubt that he was juiced up as he had muscles in his forehead. I still liked him before he did all of that, but I don't hold it against him as the owners were filling the seats and making tons of money on guys like him and many others. It was only after the "heat" was put on the owners did they start complaining about guys taking steroids. There was money to be made and the owners and the players union all knew it was going on. Cheating has been in baseball since the early days. How about pitchers that threw "spitters or grease balls" for years and got away with it. It did make a ball dance and jump. It gave a pitcher an advantage. How about "cork bats", wonder how many home runs have been hit with those type of bats?

Good selection and I like Nolan Ryan.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 AM   #34
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Ken Griffey Jr. had the quickest hands I've ever seen in a baseball player, giving him remarkably natural power. If only he didn't have injury problems.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #35
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Does Pete Rose getting caught for Gambling keep him off of peoples lists?

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #36
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
I don't know if Ted Williams would have made the All Defensive Team, but you have to remember that he missed about 6 years serving in both WW II and the Korean War. What kind of records or how much better could he have been if he had not served his country. Who knows, it may have taken something away from his abilities too? I am a Yankees Fan, but the "Ted Williams" has to be rated as one of the all time best. Yes, you give up some with his glove, but look what you get with his bat. My all time favorite hero, the "The Mighty Mickey Mantle" had to give up some defense after tearing his knees to shreds, but he could win you a game with one swing of his bat.

It is good to see all of the great names mentioned. I am glad to see Cal Ripken put in there, but Ernie Banks also changed the game with his power as a SS and he played at a time when he still caught a lot of heat for his race. I always loved watching him play when I was a little boy because he played for the love of the game as did many of his era. Keep it coming for all of us that love the game of baseball.
No, Ted Williams never made any all-defense teams. In fact, other than 1952 when he played in only 6 games, he posted a negative dWAR every year he played (dWAR according to baseball-reference.com). I know dWAR has some criticisms, but to be negative every year is saying something. The Red Sox paid him to hit, and that he did very well.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #37
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

NL Team

RHP-Bob Gibson
LHP-Warren Spahn
C-Johnny Bench
1st-Willie Stargell
2nd-Rogers Hornsby
3rd-Chipper Jones
SS-Ozzie Smith
LF-Stan Musial
CF-Willie Mays
RF-Hank Aaron
Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #38
Blue&Cocky
Long Live The Note

Male

Blue&Cocky has hatched from the shell

Why the h_ll did so few people put baseball's Perfect Warrior, Stan "The Man" Musial?? What's next, are y'all Clemson fans too?

FOREVER TO THEE! GO COCKS! GO BLUES!
Blue&Cocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #39
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Cocky View Post
Why the h_ll did so few people put baseball's Perfect Warrior, Stan "The Man" Musial?? What's next, are y'all Clemson fans too?

Great point, as "Stan The Man" Musial was rated by a lot of people to be the 5th best player to ever play the game. There are just so many great players out there to pick from and since this is everybody's own personal selections, it is fun to see just how people think about putting down their two best all time teams.

Joltin Joe DiMaggio was rated as high as #6 as the best all time player. How many people have picked him?
Old 04-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #40
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Does Pete Rose getting caught for Gambling keep him off of peoples lists?
Gambling didn't keep him off of mine. Better players did.