CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
GamecockSuperFan
KaneisAble
DTGCOCKS#32
ShutTheSuccop
The Yancey
Pw00132
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
HBC Weekly Presser (1341)
Thompson Has Neck In (1169)
Funny? (1110)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (639)
What fish do you eat (599)
KY Suspends 4 Player (525)
Clowney didnt get ma (450)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (422)
4th & 1 Play (372)
One player could have cha
Funny?
State talent drying up
QB Recruiting Strategy
HBC Weekly Presser
10-2
Defer Or Not?
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Thompson Has Neck Injury
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2

Old 04-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #41
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Terry Googer - new Wildcat QB?

the thing that makes this so interesting is that googer play qb very well in hs, and can really throw the ball. so he could be even more of a threat at the wild cock qb. yes, cooper threw a td to wilds, but while he looks great running with it, he is less than polished throwing it. but who knows, he was a freshman. having two wc qb's wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. i truly hope googer turns out to be every bit as talented as cooper. it can only help.
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #42
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

I posted on here about a year ago after watching his film that he looked like a great fit for that role (not that that makes me a genius), and I would not be surprised to see Googer run the Wildcat for about the same number of snaps as Cooper did this year. Cooper is great at it, but there may be times that Spurrier wants to run it when Cooper is tired or hurt, or Spurrier may dial up a package where both guys are in and either guy could be WR or QB.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 AM   #43
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPitMt. Lattimore rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Not so sure about the Googs at WildCock.

Pharoh is still practicing that position this spring and you would think that if he's practicing he's still playing.

Here is a (free) article describing the situation....

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/con....UtiWk0fC.dpbs
Yea, I figured at the time that Pharoh would continue at WildCock.

Good thing he did.

I liked what I saw vs. the dogs.
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #44
Evilchicken3
Banned

Male

Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs

Enough with the stupid Wildcat, it doesn't work! Of the several dozen times I've seen it run over the past 4-5 yrs, we may get more than 5 yards 5% of the time? It's a gimmicky formation where you need a supreme O-line, and supreme backfield talent to run it. Name more than 3 times where it has worked for us.
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #45
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Well... If we kept the formation on the field for more than 2 plays at a time, we would have success. We get good yardage with the formation, especially with the sweep to Byrd.

Just my $.02
Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #46
paynemd2
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 870
paynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurspaynemd2 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchicken3 View Post
Enough with the stupid Wildcat, it doesn't work! Of the several dozen times I've seen it run over the past 4-5 yrs, we may get more than 5 yards 5% of the time? It's a gimmicky formation where you need a supreme O-line, and supreme backfield talent to run it. Name more than 3 times where it has worked for us.
I feel like it's certainly worked more than 5% of the time. We don't hit huge homerun plays off of it, but we routinely get 4-5 yards which is fine by me and it gives the defense one more thing to prepare for.

Just off the top of my head i can think of 2 huge plays that came out of the wildcat for us. The bomb to Alshon vs Clemson from Gilmore and the td pass from Cooper to Wilds vs Clemson last year.

Gimore killed Clemson with the Wildcat that year. I don't want it to be a huge part of our offense, but has proven to be a successful addition to our offense
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #47
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 200
weatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudlyweatheredxtown is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I feel like it's certainly worked more than 5% of the time. We don't hit huge homerun plays off of it, but we routinely get 4-5 yards which is fine by me and it gives the defense one more thing to prepare for.

Just off the top of my head i can think of 2 huge plays that came out of the wildcat for us. The bomb to Alshon vs Clemson from Gilmore and the td pass from Cooper to Wilds vs Clemson last year.

Gimore killed Clemson with the Wildcat that year. I don't want it to be a huge part of our offense, but has proven to be a successful addition to our offense
Bruce's long TD run in Connor's first home start.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #48
92Pony
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 588
92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb92Pony is developing his comb

Quote:
As a fan I like it because its something different.

I like it because it gets the ball in the hands of another playmaker.

I like it because as mentioned above, it gives defenses one more thing they have to prepare for.

According to - http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...-cooper-1.html - (Because it was the first thing that came up when I googled), PC rushed 20 times in 2013. I'm guessing that the vast, vast majority of those rushes were from the WC formation (I don't recall him taking a handoff last year from the backfield, although he could have). In those 20 rushing attempts, he gained 201yds. That's a 10yd/play average. I consider that relatively successful!! Also in 2013, he was 2/3 for 29yds passing; Again, I'm guessing those were from the WC.

So far this year, he's rushed 5 times for only 15yds. That's a much smaller sample size this early in the year, so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt - With P. Cooper, our WC package works.
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #49
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Just a few examples..

Damiere Byrd is averaging about 8 ypc out of it so I think it works just fine.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #50
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
You are wrong. Just off the top of my head.

Byrd 14 Yard rush against UGA

P. Cooper TD pass against Clemson

P. Cooper averaged 10 yards per carry last season. All out of the Wildcat I believe.

Gilmore against Clemson 2009 (multiple times.)

But the most important thing about the wildcat is that it makes coaches take extra time out of their practice to prepare for it. Just like the Emory and Henry formation.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #51
uscGRAD04
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

I think we ran it 4 times against UGA.

1. No Gain
2. Ph. Cooper ran 10 yds. First down
3. Byrd ran for 14 yds. First down.
4. No gain but I think it was intended to be a pass.

The success this past weekend was mainly b/c we were running it as part of our 2 min. offense. I think by nature, it works best when we can catch teams off guard. We line up like we're gonna pass maybe on a passing down and switch to this.

it might not work on a 3rd and 1 but it works pretty well on 2nd and 8

Edit: I think we only ran it three times against UGA. Ph. Cooper's first run was a handoff for a loss but he was lined up in the backfield with DT at QB.

Last edited by uscGRAD04; 09-18-2014 at 11:39 AM.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #52
DTGCOCKS#32
Recruit

Male

DTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his clawsDTGCOCKS#32 is sharpening his claws

And terry googer I'd a really big young man who can give you a big time running force up the middle. Pretty sure he is 6-4 and a lil over 220
DTGCOCKS#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #53
Evilchicken3
Banned

Male

Evilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spursEvilchicken3 has earned his spurs

You guys may be right. The Wildcat may work more than 5% of the time, but all too often it's a wasted play. I'll be more open minded about it. Hold on I'm getting a call from Steve. Be right back...
Evilchicken3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #54
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 19008950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

It works. It's a good change of pace. It stays.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #55
MrED
Walk On

Male

MrED is sharpening his clawsMrED is sharpening his clawsMrED is sharpening his clawsMrED is sharpening his claws

Quote:
I really don't think its about gaining yards as much as it is about stymieing opponents ability to make effective adjustments in scheme and personnel.

Think of it this way: You are a defensive coordinator making in-game adjustments and you think you are starting to zero in on a formula that works, then out comes the wildcat package. Kind of puts a wrench in the plan and you realize that the adjustments you've made now are vulnerable to the wildcat. Back to the drawing board.

I really don't think it serves much purpose other than that - to affect opponents pregame and in-game strategy and limit their ability to make adjustments. It keeps them honest.
MrED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #56
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
I think we ran it 4 times against UGA.

1. No Gain
2. Ph. Cooper ran 10 yds. First down
3. Byrd ran for 14 yds. First down.
4. No gain but I think it was intended to be a pass.
That's a 6-yard average.

I'll take that all day long!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #57
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 858937569
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

if you have it, the defense has to spend time learning how to defend it..... takes away from normal prep time.....
Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #58
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

I say keep running it, around 5 times per game. It usually gets at least two first downs. I trust Pharaoh a lot with the ball in his hands, so the more touches the better
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #59
Cocks N Stuff
Recruit

Male

Cocks N Stuff has hatched from the shell

Don't feed the troll, guys. Anyone who has been watching the games sees that the wildcat works well for us. Everybody sure as shit loved it after the Clemson game.
Cocks N Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #60
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Seems to me that it works more than it doesn't, by maybe that's just me. I like the variation it brings to the offense.

Anyone else notice Pharoh try to throw a pass to Dylan out of the Wildcat Saturday? Didn't work because the CB covering Dylan didn't bite, but I think it showed that a play like that is in there.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote