CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
b381l
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
gamecockgal
usc1
robgusc76
75CarolinaFan
Master Bedroom
El Cid Ranger
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (802)
Kansas to invest $75 (705)
Spurrier vs Saban (699)
When does fall pract (692)
An Air Algerie Fligh (249)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (240)
Anyone Switching to (224)
Darth Vader 'Vette (154)
iPhone repair (85)
Gamecock Showcase Attende
iPhone repair
2015 - Christian Pellage
college football match up
Asheville/Spartanburg eat
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
Expect A Healthy Dose of
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
Minda Kacinas Q&A - G
2015 - Davante Davis

Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default South Carolina Is Really, Really Good

This is from the numb-nuts at CFN but read on you may be surprised.

Rich Cirminiello: Steve Spurrier likes to say that winning is contagious. South Carolina is covered in the stuff these days.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1390848.html
Old 04-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: South Carolina Is Really, Really Good

Pretty rosy view, but I think possible if the players want it enough. Any team needs some breaks to get through a stellar season, but these guys can make and take advantge of some breaks if they play every down as if the season depends on it. I think the biggest step forward will need to be from the linebackers. Last season they looked good at the end mainly based on being so bad at the beginning. If they (the LB's) develop some stopping power, diagnosing skill, and better pass coverage, the DL can play "assignment" ball without having to cover for missed tackles and assignments behind them. On offense, I think we can take better advantage of Davis's considerable ability because of having some really good relief/ change of pace and maybe 2 deep in quality linemen. Florida and Tennessee are very likely to be better, but I think Georgia has too much to correct on defense to get to the top. We'll see.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spursUSCfootball has earned his spurs

11 wins is definately doable. It will be determined by the offensive line being able to push up front and the RB's coming through when needed.

If the OL falters like they did end of year in 2013, I really don't think Dylan and the WR's can consistently win in obvious passing downs. With a consistent push up front and play action passing, I think the SEC-E is very achievable.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

To me it will all hinge on the defense. Offensively we should be able to get close to last year's production, although I think losing Ellington will hurt more than people realize.

If we can get a solid rotation from the D-line and the secondary can grow up quickly we should be fine.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his combsunbeam is developing his comb

Kind of forgetting about Missouri. Mauk did pretty well when Franklin was out, and I don't think they lose too much on offense. No idea about the defense (know they lose Sams and one or two more). But I kind of expect them to do just fine on offense this year.

Florida is kind of a mystery. I really expect this to be Muschamp's last season there, but we'll see. If they get any kind of offensive production they could win the east. Might take some luck, but they have the defense to do it, that's for sure.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post

Florida is kind of a mystery. I really expect this to be Muschamp's last season there, but we'll see. If they get any kind of offensive production they could win the east. Might take some luck, but they have the defense to do it, that's for sure.

Agreed. I like your choice of word. Florida might be college football's mystery team of 2014. They were tough until QB probs ruined the offense which eventually demoralized the defense. Plus they cant fire Muschamp because he still has 25 years on his contract. Or has that changed? If Florida settles their QB issues(and they will) they will be the typical Florida and the Swamp will be the Swamp again.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
To me it will all hinge on the defense. Offensively we should be able to get close to last year's production, although I think losing Ellington will hurt more than people realize.

If we can get a solid rotation from the D-line and the secondary can grow up quickly we should be fine.
Every year we lose someone at the WR position that makes us feel that way but someone always seems to step up and become "THAT GUY". Alshon left and Ace stepped up and then Bruce. I look to see Shaq Roland as the next guy stepping up along with Nick Jones and Pharoh Cooper. Our Offense has a real good chance of being the best Spurrier has fielded here.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Plus last year we didn't have Ellington early because of a nagging hamstring. Not having him isn't new.
Shaq will get lots of national attn. this year. Heck he might do too well and go pro.
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Outcomes of @UF and @Auburn is going to determine the season for USC.

Tough, tough games.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

We won many close games thanks to a mobile qb who was able to hide a lot of OL issues. I'm not as confident that we will actually be better on offense. I like to hope the additional focus on a more traditional style running game and pro style pass may help, but still would be shocked with anything from a 7 to 11 win season.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
Gamecock in TX
Walk On

Male

Gamecock in TX has hatched from the shell

[quote=sunbeam;4128554]Kind of forgetting about Missouri. Mauk did pretty well when Franklin was out, and I don't think they lose too much on offense. No idea about the defense (know they lose Sams and one or two more). But I kind of expect them to do just fine on offense this year.

Missouri loses a lot, but I think they will be competitive in the East. On offense, they lose the left side of OL, best RB, and two very good WRs. Mauk was ok and he will get better, but he started 4 games (3 against teams with losing records) , and barely completed 50% of his passes, which is not very good considering the WRs they had last year. He was 10-25 against us on his home field (for comparison Dylan was 15-27 that game in less than 3 quarters).

On defense, they lose both DEs, their best LB and leading tackler, and 3/4 from the secondary. That will be their biggest question in terms of how they respond.

I agree, they should be ok on offense, but I don't think as good as they were this year with new OL and losing Washington (WR). Florida is a huge mystery, I don't know what to think about them.
Gamecock in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #12
Gamecock in TX
Walk On

Male

Gamecock in TX has hatched from the shell

Missouri loses a lot, but I think they will be competitive in the East. On offense, they lose the left side of OL, best RB, and two very good WRs. Mauk was ok and he will get better, but he started 4 games (3 against teams with losing records) , and barely completed 50% of his passes, which is not very good considering the WRs they had last year. He was 10-25 against us on his home field (for comparison Dylan was 15-27 that game in less than 3 quarters).

On defense, they lose both DEs, their best LB and leading tackler, and 3/4 from the secondary. That will be their biggest question in terms of how they respond.

I agree, they should be ok on offense, but I don't think as good as they were this year with new OL and losing Washington (WR). Florida is a huge mystery, I don't know what to think about them.[/quote]
Gamecock in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Double digit wins is certainly doable.
I feel good for wins against ECU, Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou, Furman, UT and South Bama.
I think we will be favored to beat UGA, TAMU and Clemson

The only games I'm uncertain about are Auburn and Florida.
I think we lose to Auburn because we just don't play well against them, or in Auburn.
UF is a question mark. New offensive coordinator and it is in the swamp...plus their D will be good again.

Right now, I see 10 wins...with two tossups.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post

Spot on. DL play and secondary are key to this season. DL will need to play very well for another 11 or more win season. Tons of losses to overcome and I believe we've become somewhat spoiled. I see 9-10 wins this season. Hoping for more.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

He mentioned Dante Sawyer as a potential impact player........
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #16
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

No mention of Bruce as a star we need to replace, dude came up with a lot of clutch catches that probably kept the Loss column from being a higher number than 2.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #17
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

I think the whole season is a mystery mostly.

How good will Tennessee be? Who knows? We have our own question marks.

It's certainly going to be interesting.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
We won many close games thanks to a mobile qb who was able to hide a lot of OL issues. I'm not as confident that we will actually be better on offense. I like to hope the additional focus on a more traditional style running game and pro style pass may help, but still would be shocked with anything from a 7 to 11 win season.
I think you make a good point, but I would say that Thompson can also make up for a lot of our OL issues by being a guy that gets the ball out of his hand on time. Also, the OL issues should be less. We will have a very veteran bunch this year.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #19
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

11-1 with a loss to Auburn.

I think we beat Florida but it will be an ugly game.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #20
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

InletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervousInletCock1989 is making other chickens nervous

No Shaw or Ellington is going to hurt us Big Time!
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote