CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
johnnyb
Master Bedroom
75CarolinaFan
Spurrier_Superior_On
SwampFox
WeStillOwnUSC
bcolinc
kingofnerf
sanford
Devonte Holloman Ret (2461)
JD & DJ Getting (1053)
Aggie looking forwar (1045)
Article on Shaw & (1015)
Cockaboose Owners (965)
I have not bought in (902)
and the #1 2014 acc (823)
I'm thinking we're g (724)
SEC East QB's Ranked (535)
Clemson OT to transf (468)
First "Carolina Call
Come and get your Johnny
2016 - Bryan Edwards
I have not bought into ou
Really excited to visit t
Lattimore Tidbit
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
Madden 15 demo?
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --

Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Gator bowl gets new name

http://m.news.wjct.org/?utm_referrer...1#mobile/12490

Not sure about this. Shows how nowadays it's money > tradition
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit
Default Re: Gator bowl gets new name

Sounds good to me but Notre Dame doesn't play football in the ACC. Maybe they will get some advantage though. What would you think of a Gamecock vs ND Gator Bowl?
ZenUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I would think that would mean we didn't make the SEC Championship.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Sounds good to me but Notre Dame doesn't play football in the ACC. Maybe they will get some advantage though. What would you think of a Gamecock vs ND Gator Bowl?
Technically they're still independent for football. For all practical purposes they are an ACC football team though because of that scheduling/bowl deal they have.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
funktavious
Walk On

Male

funktavious has hatched from the shell

Geez, I wish they'd leave the names of Bowl games alone. If they want to call it the Taxslayer Gator Bowl, fine but Taxslayer Bowl sounds so generic and it doesn't sound like a very big bowl either. It doesn't sound any better than the Papa John's Bowl or the CARQUEST Bowl.
funktavious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Looks like Jacksonville is stuck with that for the next 6 years, hopefully after that the name will be changed back to the Gator Bowl, you know, because of the 70 year tradition and all.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
http://m.news.wjct.org/?utm_referrer...1#mobile/12490

Not sure about this. Shows how nowadays it's money > tradition
money has always been more important than tradition, its just that the naming rights to these bowls havent always been worth so much.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
TaterHater1984
The Original Tater Hater

Male

CockyCash: 100000
TaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot materialTaterHater1984 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to TaterHater1984

It annoys me so much how traditional bowls change names so much. What's wrong with calling it the Gator Bowl *sponsored by TaxSlayer.com*? I get the newer ones that have been named after companies for their whole existence, but this is stupid. Same thing with the Peach Bowl.
TaterHater1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I'll miss seeing the name Gator Bowl...but bowl names have been irrelevant now for nearly 10 years...the only ones I don't see changing are the Orange, Rose and Sugar...but you never know, a sponsor could come along and say, "No more Orange Bowl...it is now the Little Debbie Bowl."
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHater1984 View Post
It annoys me so much how traditional bowls change names so much. What's wrong with calling it the Gator Bowl *sponsored by TaxSlayer.com*? I get the newer ones that have been named after companies for their whole existence, but this is stupid. Same thing with the Peach Bowl.
this
Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Horrible. I refuse to patronize businesses that do this.

Except Chick Fil A.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

The biggest change may be the date change. Now you don't have 3 bowls being played featuring SEC teams at the same time.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

I will still call it the gator bowl.

Also, I am glad they did not create yet another bowl just to name it the taxpayer.com bowl.

I wish they would get rid of some of the bowls or have these bowl require 7 wins.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
taylorssc
Game MVP

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

i dont blame them, cash in while they can. i'll still call it the gator bowl.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I will still call it the gator bowl.

Also, I am glad they did not create yet another bowl just to name it the taxpayer.com bowl.

I wish they would get rid of some of the bowls or have these bowl require 7 wins.
I think bowls should require 6 instead of 7. 6-6 is barely a winning season.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #16
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

So for everyone up in arms over this, how about our win in the Citrus Bowl ?
Take one star crunch. Then take lots of peanut butter and layer it THICK on the flat side. After that slam another star crunch on top of the peanut butter. Finally, slap yo momma. For those of you trying to "watch what you eat" don't add the second star crunch. This is the diet version-etowngangsta
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #17
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

It's where it's all going. Outback Bowl Chick-fil-a bowl, Capital one bowl. It does suck, but the conferences have made it clear that it is all about payouts, so money rules.

Everyone in Jacksonville is going to refer to it as the Gator bowl too.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

It's still the Gator Bowl, it's still the Peach Bowl, it's still the Citrus Bowl, and any other bowl who had it's original name taken over by corporate sponsors.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:32 AM   #19
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

I'm more mad about them moving the game to Jan 2nd than them changing the name, less football on new years now

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #20
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
It's still the Gator Bowl, it's still the Peach Bowl, it's still the Citrus Bowl, and any other bowl who had it's original name taken over by corporate sponsors.
So it's the tangerine bowl not the citrus bowl, right? I mean it was the tangerine bowl for 35 years and then the citrus bowl for 19 years. What about that tradition. Damn community activist backroom dealings to get the name changed because of the Florida Citrus Coalition to push their product. Damn capital one. But I do wish they would have left it the taxslayer.com gator bowl like it has been for the last few years.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote