CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
Fight, win, kick a-- (1355)
Why I'm hopeful abou (989)
The Gator Bowl wants (978)
CFN prediction for a (924)
USC will upset Aubur (794)
A simple defensive l (778)
What happened to thi (711)
In-state QB talent (574)
This is War (399)
Texas athletic direc (363)
In-state QB talent
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
Cann tipping plays?

Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #41
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386
Default Re: BEST ALL TIME MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS

I meant to post this along with my first post in this thread, but the topic made me think of an old PC game I had called Aaron vs. Ruth. It was loaded with Hall of Famers (and a bunch of complete randos) scattered across eight or so teams. So much fun to play, even though I don't think it got great reviews.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #42
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Ted Williams served 3 years during WW II in the Navy and Marine Corp as a aviator. After coming back into baseball Ted Williams again went back into the military for the Korean War for two more years in the Marine Corp as a aviator. In 1957 and 1958 Ted Williams was the AL Batting Champion at the age of 39 and 40. This was the 5th and 6th time Ted Williams had won the batting title.

Despite his less than spectacular defensive ability, this guy took five years off during the best years of his baseball career and came back and won 2 more batting championships. What a great American and truly one of the best of all time. Rated as the #3 best baseball players by a lot of polls.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #43
JoeCock
4-Star

JoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPit

Hard to pick, even with 2 complete teams

Team 1

SP: Greg Maddux
SP: Randy Johnson
RP: John Smoltz
C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Mark McGwire
2B: Ryne Sandberg
SS: Cal Ripken, Jr.
3B: Chipper Jones
OF: Ricky Henderson
OF: Ken Griffey Jr
OF: Hank Aaron
DH: Bo Jackson (Pre-injury)
Manager: Bobby Cox (Imagine how many Titles he could have won with "Yankee's Talent".)

Team 2
SP: Tom Glavine
SP: Curt Schilling
RP: Dennis Eckersley
C: Brian McCann
1B: Frank Thomas
2B: Mark Lemke (My Dad's Favorite player)
SS: Alex Rodriguez (Mariners)
3B: Mike Schmidt
OF: "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
OF: Barry Bonds
OF: Willy Mays
DH: David Ortiz
Manager: Tony La Russa (Man can coach)

Obviously, a lot of worthy names could be put on this list.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #44
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Cocky View Post
Why the h_ll did so few people put baseball's Perfect Warrior, Stan "The Man" Musial?? What's next, are y'all Clemson fans too?
I missed that it was two teams. Stan will be on my second one
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 AM   #45
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCock View Post
Hard to pick, even with 2 complete teams

Team 1

SP: Greg Maddux
SP: Randy Johnson
RP: John Smoltz
C: Ivan Rodriguez
1B: Mark McGwire
2B: Ryne Sandberg
SS: Cal Ripken, Jr.
3B: Chipper Jones
OF: Ricky Henderson
OF: Ken Griffey Jr
OF: Hank Aaron
DH: Bo Jackson (Pre-injury)
Manager: Bobby Cox (Imagine how many Titles he could have won with "Yankee's Talent".)

Team 2
SP: Tom Glavine
SP: Curt Schilling
RP: Dennis Eckersley
C: Brian McCann
1B: Frank Thomas
2B: Mark Lemke (My Dad's Favorite player)
SS: Alex Rodriguez (Mariners)
3B: Mike Schmidt
OF: "Shoeless" Joe Jackson
OF: Barry Bonds
OF: Willy Mays
DH: David Ortiz
Manager: Tony La Russa (Man can coach)

Obviously, a lot of worthy names could be put on this list.

Very good selections on your teams. Bobby Cox was an excellent manager and was a product of the New York Yankee Coaching System. What really kept the Braves from winning more World Series than they did was the "fact that they never invested heavily into having a first class bullpen each year". The Braves had the best starting pitchers in baseball for many years but when they went to the bullpen they lost a lot of games. The World Series was always a perfect example of the Braves having a weak bullpen.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #46
jared
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

Without all the injuries, Ken Griffey Jr. would be the HR King
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #47
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
I agree.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #48
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
Ted Williams served 3 years during WW II in the Navy and Marine Corp as a aviator. After coming back into baseball Ted Williams again went back into the military for the Korean War for two more years in the Marine Corp as a aviator. In 1957 and 1958 Ted Williams was the AL Batting Champion at the age of 39 and 40. This was the 5th and 6th time Ted Williams had won the batting title.

Despite his less than spectacular defensive ability, this guy took five years off during the best years of his baseball career and came back and won 2 more batting championships. What a great American and truly one of the best of all time. Rated as the #3 best baseball players by a lot of polls.
It was said that when only an incredibly small percentage of the population can claim to be "the world's best" at any one thing,Ted could honestly be said to be the world's best at 3 things.Baseball hitter,fighter pilot,fly fisherman.Most credit his incredible eyesight for this trifecta.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #49
JoeCock
4-Star

JoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPitJoeCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I agree.
So do I.

His "Downfall" was the fact that he played "All Out", on every play. He was the best "All Around Player" that I saw play.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #50
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
It is a damn shame he played in Seattle all those years. The kingdome killed his knees. He had one of the most beautiful swings I have ever seen. I think he would have been up at the top as well
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #51
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
I'll do one. Gotta think about the second.

P - Juan Marichal
P - Greg Maddox
C - J Bench
1B - Rod Carew
2B - Joe Morgan
SS - A-Rod
3B - Brooks Robinson
LF - Babe Ruth
CF - Willie Mays
RF - Reggie Jackson
M - Billy Martin
2nd team (mix great/liked):
RHP - Tom Seaver
LHP - Randy Johnson
C - Thurman Munson
1B - Lou Gherig
2B - Rogers Hornsby
SS - Cal Ripken
3B - George Brett
RF - Hank Aaron
CF - Dale Murphy (homer pick)
LF - Barry Bonds
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #52
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
P- Cy Young: 511 wins, 20+ wins 15 times,
P- Walter Johnson: won 20+ 10 years in a row. 110 shut outs
P-Nolan Ryan: 7 no hitters, 5714 strike outs, never won a cy young award

C-Carlton Fisk: personal favorite
1B - Jimmie Foxx: 13 straight 100 RBI seasons and a Triple Crown
2B - Rogers Hornsby: hit .400 three times, lifetime batting average .359 (2nd all time)
SS - Cal Ripken Jr.: 2nd in hits, 2nd in runs, 1st in HRs, and 1st in RBIs for SS. He was the game changer for the position due to his size
3B - Mike Schmidt: 10 gold gloves, led league in HRs 8 times, and 3 MVP

Picking 4 OF because I know people will hate 1 of them and not consider him.

CF - Willie Mays: best all around player ever according to my father and grandfather. .302, 660HR, 1903 RBI
RF - Babe Ruth: because he is Babe frickin Ruth
LF - Ted Williams: could have been the best player ever. Last .400 hitter, .344 lifetime average, 2nd in slugging to Ruth, 521 HRs and consider he missed 3 full season and part of 2 other seasons because he was a FIGHTER PILOT he would have hit 700 HR

OF- Barry Bonds: the best player I have ever seen. People complain about the steroids but he was the best player in the league before that and looked around and saw all the attention everyone else was getting. I can't blame him the whole league was cheating. .298, 762 HR, 1996, RBI, 2227 Runs, 514 stolen bases. His swing was the fastest, shortest, most compact I have ever seen in a power hitter. 2000 was the year that most think he started using steroids. The 10 years before that he averaged 109Runs, 148 Hits, 36 HR, .301BA, 107 RBI, 34 stolen bases, 115 BB, .603 SLG, 1.035 OPS, 179 OPS+, 3 MVPs, 8 gold gloves, 7 silver sluggers, 8 all stars. He is also one of only 40/40 guys and the only 500HR/500SB guy.
________
this is the most time I have ever thought about a post on this site
Any list of baseball's greatest without Lou Gehrig is a joke. Overshadowed by Ruth and Dimaggio, Lou was no less of a player. While Foxx was very good, Lou Gehrig's records and achievements will make one say... I didn't know he was that awesome.

Lou Gehrig was a hitting machine and sadly a deadly disease cut short a remarkable career. Ted Williams said he was the second greatest of all-time behind Ruth.

Career WAR of 112.4. No 1st baseman is even close.

1993 RBI - 3rd all-time in JUST 9663 plate appearances.

- (2) 100 extra base hits in a season. Only Gehrig, Todd Helton, and Chuck Klein have done it twice.

- Triple Crown '34.

-only player in history to drive in more than 500 runs in a three year span...'30-'32 = 509.

- Most 400+ total base seasons - 5.
400+ TB season has only been done 29 times in history.

- 184 RBI in a season AL record.

- 23 Grand Slams... screw Arod.

- First athlete to have his number retired.

- slugged ten or more triples in eight different years

- First player to hit 4 consecutive HR's in a game.

- In his 13 full seasons, Lou Gehrig averaged 147 RBI's a year, from 1926 thru 1938.

- drove in over 150 runs in a season seven times

- average 138.8 runs per season in his 13 years

- 13 years of driving in over 100 runs

- scored over 100 runs in 13 consecutive seasons

- In eight different years he got 200 hits or more in a season. ONLY Cobb, Rose, and Suzuki had more.

- .340 lifetime BA

- stole home 15 times

- In 34 World Series Games he hit .361, 10 hrs, 35 RBI.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #53
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
Any list of baseball's greatest without Lou Gehrig is a joke. Overshadowed by Ruth and Dimaggio, Lou was no less of a player. While Foxx was very good, Lou Gehrig's records and achievements will make one say... I didn't know he was that awesome.

Lou Gehrig was a hitting machine and sadly a deadly disease cut short a remarkable career. Ted Williams said he was the second greatest of all-time behind Ruth.

- (2) 100 extra base hits in a season. Only Gehrig, Todd Helton, and Chuck Klein have done it twice.

- Triple Crown '34.

-only player in history to drive in more than 500 runs in a three year span...'30-'32 = 509.

- In his 13 full seasons, Lou Gehrig averaged 147 RBI's a year, from 1926 thru 1938.

- In eight different years he got 200 hits or more in a season. ONLY Cobb, Rose, and Suzuki had more.

- .340 lifetime BA

- stole home 15 times

Can't argue with gehrig at. To me he is the second greatest Yankee behind Ruth and way above dimaggio
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #54
carolinafan53186
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

carolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot materialcarolinafan53186 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Can't argue with gehrig at. To me he is the second greatest Yankee behind Ruth and way above dimaggio
I can remember what the year was but his stats right before the als began affecting him was one of the greatest statistical years ever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 AM   #55
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:

There is no doubt that Ken Griffey, Jr would have been right at the top or maybe the King Of The Hill if his body had held up. He played the game hard and was a tremendous athlete.

I would have to say that Mickey Mantle if he would not have been hurt and could have stayed healthy and taken better care of himself he would have hit more home runs than any player that ever played the game. Before his first major injury to his knee, they say he was the fastest player out of the box and down to first base than anyone who had ever played the game at that time. Now, this is a man who could hit for power from both sides of the plate and to this day nobody has ever hit home runs as far as the "Mighty Mick" has, even Bo Jackson. Towards the end of his playing days he had nothing in between his knee joints as everything had been taken out or torn so bad that he was walking/running with bone on bone. The man was a born to be a natural baseball player. With the water-down pitching that you have today and the smaller ballparks, Mickey Mantle would have "cleaned the house" with his bat. Another sad story about a great player.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:15 AM   #56
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post

- Triple Crown '34.

- .340 lifetime BA

- stole home 15 times

I totally agree with everything that you state about the Great Lou Gehrig. The greatest thing about him was the fact that Lou Gehrig was a "Class Act" from the beginning to the end of his career. Another sad story about a great player.

Maybe we should do a "What If Team"? All the great players who had their careers cut short, but were some of the greatest to ever play.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #57
dreammachine
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
It was said that when only an incredibly small percentage of the population can claim to be "the world's best" at any one thing,Ted could honestly be said to be the world's best at 3 things.Baseball hitter,fighter pilot,fly fisherman.Most credit his incredible eyesight for this trifecta.

I spoke with a guy that stated that he took Ted Williams on many fishing tours to places all over the U.S.A. He stated that 99% of the time Ted never talked about baseball nor did he want anyone to make a big deal out of him being a HOF Player. Ted Williams had great eyesight for sure, but he also had great hands and a quick bat and that is a rarity in the baseball world today. Who could take 5 plus years away from the game and come back at the age that he did and win two more batting crowns? I never was a Boston Red Sox fan, but how could you not be a fan of the Great Ted Williams. Did you know that the owners for the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox got together and got drunk and almost pulled off a trade for Ted Williams going to the Yankees and Joe Dimaggio going to the Red Sox. I don't think the fans in either city would have ever got use to that trade!!!