CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
Big Spur
SMOTFS86
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
kingofnerf
rabid cock
doubledribble
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3224)
2014 Subway Classic: (1557)
aTm demolishes Kyle (723)
Cocky at the Duck Co (695)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (611)
Really, REALLY glad (529)
Deer Hunting 2014 (363)
movers, furniture do (296)
Happy Winter Solstic (266)
Streaming nfl games (252)
QB Next Season?
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Connor to be backup?
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Ali Hospitalized With Pne
Question for those who ha
Really, REALLY glad he's
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL

Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #21
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Re: MLS Expands To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
There were times when people talked about the Charleston Battery going to MLS but I doubt it will work in Charleston either.
Sad considering The Battery are one of the best teams in the USL and win it a fair share of times.
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #22
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

CockyCash: 200
WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

I've managed to make it to every Sounders home game this year, great atmosphere. Being from Charleston I would love to see the Battery move up to MLS. I don't see it happening anytime soon, would require some big time investors and a new stadium. I'm still hopeful it will happen.
WE_ARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #23
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE_ARE View Post
I've managed to make it to every Sounders home game this year, great atmosphere. Being from Charleston I would love to see the Battery move up to MLS. I don't see it happening anytime soon, would require some big time investors and a new stadium. I'm still hopeful it will happen.
I don't think there is enough interest in Charleston to make profit but then again, all you need is a super-star like David Beckam to make it happen.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #24
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

Quote:
I don't think there is enough interest in Charleston to make profit but then again, all you need is a super-star like David Beckam to make it happen.
I agree with you, as of right now there isn't enough interest, but down the road if the sport continues to grow I could possibly see it happening. Maybe Mike Veeck and Bill Murray will decide to get into the Soccer business, I could definitely see Chucktown getting behind it then.
WE_ARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 AM   #25
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 104363
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

I would think St. Louis has got to be coming up soon, that's traditional American soccer hotspot, going back to at least the 40's...

Also agreed with Raleigh over Charlotte, it's another hotspot, more so than Charlotte, even though Charlotte is bigger.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:42 AM   #26
Cocks and Canes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Cocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot materialCocks and Canes is USC mascot material

Quote:
The team is already in second division, they played vs Clemson and USC a few days ago.
This is not true. The Silverbacks are not getting promoted, a brand new team is being formed.

^required reading in the South
Cocks and Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #27
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks and Canes View Post
This is not true. The Silverbacks are not getting promoted, a brand new team is being formed.
This is news to me, anybody has the link of the story?

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #28
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is news to me, anybody has the link of the story?
To the Atlanta story?

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-s...atlanta/nfSzm/

Sounds like a new franchise.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #29
taylorssc
Banned

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Arthur Blank, owner of the Falcons, has wanted an MLS team for a while. Most think that once the plan to rebuild the Georgia Dome was completed, Atlanta was a done deal.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #30
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

If the southeast does start to gain more teams I will honestly become more interested. The only reason I really watch now is for the cascadia cup teams and the New York Red Bulls (Henry mostly). I have nothing invested into any of these teams so could care less to watch half the time. With a team being in a decent driving range now I might have more interest in the league now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #31
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

I wouldn't mind seeing MLS become more popular. I want to see the US become more relevant in some of these more international team sports.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #32
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
MLS is averaging 19,000 fans per game this year. NBA is 17,000. Pretty impressive.
That doesn't tell the whole story. You have to look at the arenas that each sport is played at. Soccer stadiums are a little bit larger than basketball arenas. A better stat to look at would be total % of seats occupied.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #33
taylorssc
Banned

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
That doesn't tell the whole story. You have to look at the arenas that each sport is played at. Soccer stadiums are a little bit larger than basketball arenas. A better stat to look at would be total % of seats occupied.
i was just noting more people go to mls games than nba games, on average. i don't see how percent of capacity relates to average per game attendance; i could be missing something though.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #34
RebelGamecockfan09
Runnin round

Male

CockyCash: 1225
RebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his combRebelGamecockfan09 is developing his comb

I'm excited for this, I hope I can get into soccer and maybe catch a few games.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #35
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
i was just noting more people go to mls games than nba games, on average. i don't see how percent of capacity relates to average per game attendance; i could be missing something though.
What he's saying is more people go to MLS games because the average MLS stadium is larger than the average NBA arena.

And when you have a team like Seattle who's stadium originally holds 67k but is reduced to 38,500 for soccer games (and regularly sells out) you're going to have a larger average.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #36
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

How big are NBA arenas usually

Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 AM   #37
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
How big are NBA arenas usually

Between 17-19k. (Technically the average is about 18,400)

Biggest is the palace of a Auburn Hills, holds a little over 22k.

The Average capacity of an MLS stadium is around 22,210. With the largest being Century Link which holds 38,500 for soccer games.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #38
Cockypantherfan
Household Name

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
What he's saying is more people go to MLS games because the average MLS stadium is larger than the average NBA arena.

And when you have a team like Seattle who's stadium originally holds 67k but is reduced to 38,500 for soccer games (and regularly sells out) you're going to have a larger average.
Bingo.

I will say though that MLS is picking up steam and for them to average around 20,000 fans is big considering it competes with football, baseball, basketball, and in some cities hockey.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #39
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Using capacity numbers provided by Wikipedia:

Average NBA arena seats 19,118 (88.9% full using taylorssc average attendance number)
Average MLS stadium seats 21,094 (90.1% full using taylorssc average attendance number)
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #40
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Not a fan of soccer though, so the expansion news doesn't excite me at all.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote