CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ConwayGamecock
jrussjr
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
CaptainCock91
MisterClowney
Cockypantherfan
CockyandProud
Captain9Dragons
Musburger/Palmer to (1338)
Shaq R. (1193)
Dustin Johnson takin (1144)
I'm in the Atlanta a (785)
Kewl video (753)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (679)
Film Room: Can Victo (437)
weather in columbia (403)
Overrated and Underr (316)
1st practice tonight (312)
Donell Stanley injured?
Backup QB competition
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Dustin Johnson taking a l
Kewl video
1st practice tonight
Re-Airing South Carolina
2014 Signee - Joe Blue
We don't have a practice
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw

Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #41
lakemurraycock
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 357
lakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudlylakemurraycock is crowing loudly
Default Re: South Carolina Is Really, Really Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgamecocks88 View Post
Nope. 7 home games. Texas A&M, ECU, Georgia, Missouri, Furman, Tennessee, South Alabama.

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sport...schedules.html

They are counting Clemson as the eighth home game since we have owned them lately.
lakemurraycock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #42
snruter amabon
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
snruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot materialsnruter amabon is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Yes, I know, Georgia and Clemson are our two biggest rivals and can't stand to lose to them, but Georgia's defense will be nasty and will be able to control the clock with Gurley on offense.

That Clemson game, anything goes, especially on the road against a rival. They still have some talent on that team and they are DESPERATE to win.
I just don't see it. I know what our talent level is a whole lot better than I do Georgia but I think the home field advantage is HUGE in that game. Remember that Georgia will also be breaking in a new QB & we will likely key on Gurly & stuff the run, forcing the new QB to challenge our very talented secondary. I think the ball control game goes to the Gamecocks & Mike Davis. Georgia however always seems to have an excellent place kicker.

Clemson game I see us as having superior talent on both sides of the ball. They want to beat us so bad that it will be a distraction. By that time of the year we are usually clicking on all cylinders so and I also really do not believe we lose to Clemson again as long as Spurrier is at the reigns. Superior play calling & talent wins that game.
snruter amabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
No just speaking truthfully without garnet glasses on.

Kentucky 10
Auburn 11
Tenn 13
Add in LSU 12.

I think it's still possible for this team to go undefeated, but I see 11-1 at best, and 8-4 at the worst. Most likely 9-3 or 10-2 at the end of the year. Will always think 12-0 until the first one is lost though..

For a team to go undefeated it takes talent, great coaching, and luck. USC has had at least one of those be a problem each year when they lost to a team they should of beat.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #44
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Add in LSU 12.

I think it's still possible for this team to go undefeated, but I see 11-1 at best, and 8-4 at the worst. Most likely 9-3 or 10-2 at the end of the year. Will always think 12-0 until the first one is lost though..

For a team to go undefeated it takes talent, great coaching, and luck. USC has had at least one of those be a problem each year when they lost to a team they should of beat.
Yea I almost added Florida 2012. We really crapped the bed down there. Tought to play LSU and UF back to back. Almost impossible to win both those.

Lots of questions with this years team especially on D. Can anyone step up on the DL? Young and no experience at CB unless Brison plays CB. If you can't rush the passer and defend the pass then you are toast into today's football.

I still have high hopes for this years team. Excited for the year Dylan and Mike D can have. Also we have some stars poised for big years like Cooper, Roland, Skai, Walton, and David Williams.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #45
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I'm not sure what to think of this team right now. Its hard to get a good gauge on what their trends are going to be on the both sides of the football. There are a lot of young talented players on this team but who knows which ones will separate themselves from the rest.

Offensively, it comes down to Dylan Thompson. If you were to look at his performances objectively, you know what you're going to get. He throws the football where its suppose to go. He doesn't improvise and he doesn't hang onto it. Which is great and all until you look at his completion % which is barely over 50% for his career. He is such a streaky passer and he has mechanical problems that show up when he doesn't settle into the game early. This is going to be a huge Summer coming up from him because he has to be sharp start to finish this year. With everything that is coming back offensively at the skill spots and virtually 5 returning offensive linemen with starting experience, its all on him to deliver. There really isn't anyone pushing him for playing time right now which is not a good sign because if he falters then we hit the rebuild mode with a young QB with no experience. Do I have confidence in Dylan? Yes, but I do acknowledge that he has 1 SEC start under his belt where he was erratic (and snakebit in some cases) and he didn't even finish the game. I worry about him against Georgia (who will be much improved on defense), Florida (best defense in the East; on the road), and Auburn (will be improved on defense, on the road). These are primetime football games in big time environments. A lot of pressure is going to be on a guy that has pretty much been a plug & play his entire career.

Defensively, where is the pass rush going to come from? We have some good young players on the defensive line but other than maybe Darius English, none of them are really pass rush threats right now. I think Gerald Dixon will be rock solid at the strong side and I think we all know what we are getting with JT Surratt but those guys aren't game changers. They are guys we need but they aren't going to make a game changing play like Jadeveon and Kelcy were capable of. I don't really put a ton of stock in Darius English's weight right now and who knows what is going to happen with the status of Wideman and Thomas. It looks Devin Washington is hurt again too so he is missing valuable practice time. I like what I have heard about David Johnson's practices but is he agile and have the explosion? Many thought he would be a DT by now. Mason Harris will never get big enough. Maybe Deon Green can fill in a little bit. He seems to be having a strong Spring but can he stay healthy? Honestly, Blake McClain might be the guy that has to come in and make an impact right away.

So who is going to bring the heat? It appears its going to have to be the linebackers. If the 3-4 / 3-3-5 is really going to be a big part of our defense this year then all our linebackers better hit the weights hard this year. Teams that run 3 man fronts typically have linebackers in the 240-260 range .. not 220. Not only that, but those teams hit almost every day in practice because tackling is so important in those schemes. Spurrier doesn't believe in that. IMO, we would get steamrolled by a power run team like Georgia right now.

I know Corner is a major issue right now though but other than running back, it might be the easiest position to transition to high school to college. It also looks like Brison Williams is going to drop more weight so he can play more Corner. Between McWilliams, Williams, Smith, (hopefully) Groves, Green, Harris, Smith, and Lammons .. There has to be 3 guys amongst that group that can produce.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #46
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I think you basically share my same concerns exactly as I stated C2.

Pass rush and cover CBs.

Someone like Johnson, English, or Cooper is going to have to step up to be a pass rush threat to help the young CBs out. Or Thomas if he can get in school.

Hopefully our pleathra of DTs can help our LBs against power running teams. I think we will see much more Bryant and Walton against UGA and other teams that wanna pound the ball.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #47
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 7700
2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly2four2Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Add in LSU 12.
LSU was favored in that game. Hard to put that in the "dropping one we should win on paper" column
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #48
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
who is going to bring the heat? It appears its going to have to be the linebackers. If the 3-4 / 3-3-5 is really going to be a big part of our defense this year then all our linebackers better hit the weights hard this year. Teams that run 3 man fronts typically have linebackers in the 240-260 range .. not 220. Not only that, but those teams hit almost every day in practice because tackling is so important in those schemes. Spurrier doesn't believe in that. IMO, we would get steamrolled by a power run team like Georgia right now.
Your linebacker comments are right along with my thoughts, but I think the same about a 4-2-5. Diagnosing skill and stopping power is what I'm concerned about with coverage savvy being also on the worry sheet.
On the line, I think we will rely more on our depth than top first team talent. We've got some pretty good "rabbits" if we can keep 1st and second down shut down. Green, Lamin, and Griffin are all pretty quick for DT's, and Dixon and Dukes, Jr are big and strong. If Lamin turns out to be good against the run, we might be able to line up well against a Georgia or a Wisc style running team with Dixon44 and Thomas on the ends. Last year (watch the film) against Georgia, one DE never got upfield and sealed the edge. Their "student body right" (our left) killed us. The LB's didn't get off blocks and took wrong angles and got trucked. I think that part of the problem will be improved. Without a DE who has to be doubled or schemed out, I think we will need good run-blitz, middle pressure, and occasional LB and line stunting to get pressure. Maybe Cooper can get it together enough to contribute this year. He certainly wants too, but even with his speed, he's so much a tweener it'll be tough. If David Johnson still has his quickness at the 280 weight, he might be a good combo stopper/rush end to be a factor. He was known as a top-notch tackler in HS. We might just have to rely on depth to wear folks down and win the fourth quarter. I think Pinckney's comment from the Holtz years rings true - "you can tune it up and rev it up, but you never know what you've got 'til you get it out on the track."
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #49
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervousBlueHerons is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
That Clemson game, anything goes, especially on the road against a rival. They still have some talent on that team and they are DESPERATE to win.
They've been desperate for the past five years with better talent and haven't beaten us so what makes this so different? Dylan Thompson has already gone to Clemson and beaten them in their house.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #50
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
They've been desperate for the past five years with better talent and haven't beaten us so what makes this so different? Dylan Thompson has already gone to Clemson and beaten them in their house.
Probably because it's a different year. Thompson had considerable help beating Clemson. We lost more total effective talent than they did, but I also think we bring back more - especially in the trenches. They stacked the box against us, and Shaw (and the WR's) burned them. Several of the key players who made Boyd so miserable are gone. We'll just have to find a different set.
Goofyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #51
jfbreb94
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Gosh I'm ready for football. Spurrier has brought us so far.
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #52
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Yeah I'd like to believe that Dylan with lots of reps is the one we saw at clemson and in the bowl game against michigan, but no one really knows. He's almost certain to be servicible enough to win a fair amount of games, if the OL and defense are up to par. Our tailbacks are really good.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #53
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

The runnng game will be key (beating a dead horse, I know) but if we refer back to the Mizzou game, Dylan did pretty good until TOs bit us. When Connor came in, that gave us another running option that Mizzou had to account for which went a long way in helping those once stalled drives become scoring drives. If our running game is clicking, Dylan and our WR/TE will shred opposing defense's backfield. It all starts up front with the running game which is the way "old man" football is supposed to be!!
jrussjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #54
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
I think the whole season is a mystery mostly.

How good will Tennessee be? Who knows? We have our own question marks.

It's certainly going to be interesting.
Reports out of spring practice is that our Offensive line which is completely brand new is owning our brand new DLine. So I think that means our Dline is in for a world of trouble this year.

Skill talent is going up in Knoxville, QB play should be much better to this year but Line play will be much worse.

I think it = very similar record 5-7 to 7-5 at best.

2015 will be first chance to possibly make our first real jump into the 7, 8 or 9 win world again.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #55
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Texas A&M....................W
East Carolina..................W
Georgia..........................W
@Vandy.........................W
Mizzou...........................W
Kentucky........................W
Furman..........................W
@Auburn.........................L
Tenn..............................W
@Florida.........................T/U
S. Alabama.....................W
@Clemson......................W

11-1 or 10-2 IMO
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #56
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

I think our pass rush will be fine. We dont have the big names like Clowney and Quarles this season (at least coming into the season). Ward said himself that he didn't have to blitz that much because they had the ability to rush 4 most of the season. I think we are going to see a much more active defense this season with the LBs.
JDRAY^# is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #57
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPitjrussjr rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post

11-1 or 10-2 IMO
Eric,

I will take the 11-1 as long as we finally beat allbarn in ATL in December!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #58
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post

11-1 or 10-2 IMO
I'll return the favor:

Utah St...........................W
Ark St.............................W
@Oklahoma......................L
@UGA..............................L
Florida.............................W
UTC.................................W
@Ole Miss.........................L
'Bama...............................L
@USC...............................L
Kentucky..........................W
Mizzou.............................W
@Vandy...........................W

7-5. I think you upset one of UGA/Fla/SC and my bet is on Florida early on with the new OC. I have Ole Miss upsetting you on the road. Win that one and you'll go 8-4.

You guys are officially pains in the ass again.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #59
GarnetSwarm1990
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talonsGarnetSwarm1990 has developed his gaff and talons

Texas A&M....................T/U
@Auburn.........................T/U
@Florida.........................W

10-2, 11-1 or 12-0

Everyone seems to overlook A&M since Johnny is gone. They still have play makers and that defense will be more experienced. Their offense will most likely be more like Sumlin's offenses at Houston this year. Down field passing and our DB's will get thrown into the fire right out of the gate.

I think if our D-line plays well consistently then our linebackers should be enough of a force to win us games like A&M and Auburn. Auburn requires disciplined linebacker play and A&M will test our young corners even with an inexperienced QB.

Some question UGA. They replace 3 O-lineman, their best blocking TE and of course the QB. I'm not worried about UGA.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #60
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetSwarm1990 View Post

Everyone seems to overlook A&M since Johnny is gone. They still have play makers and that defense will be more experienced. Their offense will most likely be more like Sumlin's offenses at Houston this year. Down field passing and our DB's will get thrown into the fire right out of the gate.

This is why I think the aTm game is second biggest game behind allbarn!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jrussjr; 04-08-2014 at 03:14 PM.