CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
cockybreeyan
ChickenButt
RHHS8068
Freshman ND WR " (663)
Call of Duty: Advanc (490)
Good Riddance to bad (385)
Keeping tailgate foo (282)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (242)
An A to Z of Noah We (166)
The Comeback & T (83)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (66)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (66)
NCAAF: WEST VIRGINIA (65)
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Texas athletic director:
Rest of the season predic
So Disappointed With The
Why I think we beat Aubur
The Comeback & The Bl
NFL: LIONS @ FALCONS Sun
NFL: VIKINGS @ BUCCANEERS

Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #41
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

CockyCash: 200
WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly
Default Re: MLS Expands To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Bingo.

I will say though that MLS is picking up steam and for them to average around 20,000 fans is big considering it competes with football, baseball, basketball, and in some cities hockey.
Most MLS teams don't play in stadiums the size of CenturyLink.

Huston capacity: 22,000
Toronto: 21,550
San Jose: 10,000
Columbus: 20,000

Most, excluding a couple, are between 20-25k.

Last edited by WE_ARE; 04-08-2014 at 05:51 PM.
WE_ARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE_ARE View Post
Subtracting them out of that they still average a little over 20k.

I didn't realize La holds 27k for Galaxy games but reduced to 18,800 for chivas.

I think the correct stat was the % which greater shows the popularity.

Last edited by B-G; 04-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #43
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Bingo.

I will say though that MLS is picking up steam and for them to average around 20,000 fans is big considering it competes with football, baseball, basketball, and in some cities hockey.
MLS is a baby league of about 20 years old, competing vs monster leagues of more than a 100 years.

Its amazing what MLS has accomplished so far, amazing.

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE_ARE View Post

Huston capacity: 22,000
Toronto: 21,550
Sacramento: 10,000
Columbus: 20,000

Most, excluding a couple, are between 20-25k.
Sacramento doesn't have an MLS team. However, there's a lot of planning to try and get one in the future.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #45
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

By now, almost everybody wants in.

1. San Fran
2. Nashville
3. Tuczon
4. New York wants another one
5. Saint Louis
6. El Paso
7. San Diego
8. Richmond
9. Memphis

The list goes on and on, no all of them are realistic markets though

Old 04-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #46
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

The MLS has done an exceptional job of researching demographics of the areas that they have teams. They have expanded slowly and thoughtfully. They have added foreign players on a limited basis and limited player salaries. They have done what many said could not be done, have a thriving professional soccer league in the US. They have pushed for soccer only venues that are right-sized for their product, in cities that support them in fan support and stadium construction.
I do have concerns about the expansion into Miami. Miami is a terrible sports town, and there is no real logical place to build a stadium that is close to the fans but also inexpensive enough to be profitable. There are plenty of soccer fans there, the question is will they show up for games.

Many of the things they have addressed were the downfall of the NASL. I hope they continue to grow at this slow and measured pace to ensure the league stays solvent. You are doing a great job MLS, don't get ahead of yourselves.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #47
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Kaka- NY is getting another one.
NYCFC- starting in 2015
Old 04-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #48
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Kaka- NY is getting another one.
NYCFC- starting in 2015
The Cosmos wants in too, Pele supports them...

Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #49
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
The MLS has done an exceptional job of researching demographics of the areas that they have teams. They have expanded slowly and thoughtfully. They have added foreign players on a limited basis and limited player salaries. They have done what many said could not be done, have a thriving professional soccer league in the US. They have pushed for soccer only venues that are right-sized for their product, in cities that support them in fan support and stadium construction.
I do have concerns about the expansion into Miami. Miami is a terrible sports town, and there is no real logical place to build a stadium that is close to the fans but also inexpensive enough to be profitable. There are plenty of soccer fans there, the question is will they show up for games.

Many of the things they have addressed were the downfall of the NASL. I hope they continue to grow at this slow and measured pace to ensure the league stays solvent. You are doing a great job MLS, don't get ahead of yourselves.
I agree, they need to keep their financial composure, so far they have made Giant steps into the American sports market...

Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #50
WE_ARE
Mr. BIG COCK

Male

WE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudlyWE_ARE is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
Sacramento doesn't have an MLS team. However, there's a lot of planning to try and get one in the future.
San Jose, my bad.
WE_ARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #51
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
The Cosmos wants in too, Pele supports them and played for them
FIFY
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 PM   #52
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I miss watching indoor soccer... Loved it on TV
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #53
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
By now, almost everybody wants in.

1. San Fran
2. Nashville
3. Tuczon
4. New York wants another one
5. Saint Louis
6. El Paso
7. San Diego
8. Richmond
9. Memphis

The list goes on and on, no all of them are realistic markets though
I think 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 on that list makes sense. Not sure St Louis or Memphis has the correct demographics to support it, and Richmond is probably not a large enough market.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #54
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I miss watching indoor soccer... Loved it on TV
futsal is fun as hell too

Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #55
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I watch the Premier League. Wish we would get a club here when London gets NFL franchise. Liverpool is entertaining as hell to watch.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #56
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I think 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 on that list makes sense. Not sure St Louis or Memphis has the correct demographics to support it, and Richmond is probably not a large enough market.
St. Louis is the home of soccer in the US.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #57
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

MLS does great attendance numbers but it does not translate into TV numbers. I read an article last year about how in some local markets, there are more people at the game than there are watching on TV. (wonder if this is true for some NBA markets?)

I watch a lot of soccer on the weekends and have never watched a MLS game. I have a lot of friends who watch soccer as well and none of them are MLS fans. It's going to take quite a lot to get fans interested and perceive it as a top flight league.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #58
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
MLS does great attendance numbers but it does not translate into TV numbers. I read an article last year about how in some local markets, there are more people at the game than there are watching on TV. (wonder if this is true for some NBA markets?)

I watch a lot of soccer on the weekends and have never watched a MLS game. I have a lot of friends who watch soccer as well and none of them are MLS fans. It's going to take quite a lot to get fans interested and perceive it as a top flight league.
I believe the real popularity of a sport can be measured in TV numbers.

Living up here it's much more expensive to go to a Knicks game than a Red Bulls game.

I would also say they the TV ratings for NYC are much higher for Knicks games than Red Bulls games.

Also I want to know, what gets higher TV ratings/Views. The MLS Cup or the NBA Finals?
Old 04-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #59
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
I believe the real popularity of a sport can be measured in TV numbers.

Living up here it's much more expensive to go to a Knicks game than a Red Bulls game.

I would also say they the TV ratings for NYC are much higher for Knicks games than Red Bulls games.

Also I want to know, what gets higher TV ratings/Views. The MLS Cup or the NBA Finals?

NBA Finals and it's not even close. One of the games b/t the HEat and Spurs last year got a 19.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #60
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post

Ditto. Americans don't like also rans.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote