CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
b381l
Order 66
garnet_black215
Ahmad
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
wumarshall82
gadeneer1986
Thoughts on Shawn El (1689)
10-2 (1679)
UK promoting a black (1576)
Four UK Players Susp (1047)
Coach Gaines: " (991)
Time for a new coach (954)
I Was Dealing With T (767)
Build a New Stadium (663)
Connor Shaw's fault. (662)
Since everyone loves (513)
Connor Mitch
400 pasing yards
Four UK Players Suspended
UK promoting a blackout f
2015 Commitment - Jaire A
Build a New Stadium
Coach Gaines: "Not m
Maty Mauk tries to take o
Funny?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #61
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: South Carolina Is Really, Really Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
The runnng game will be key (beating a dead horse, I know) but if we refer back to the Mizzou game, Dylan did pretty good until TOs bit us. When Connor came in, that gave us another running option that Mizzou had to account for which went a long way in helping those once stalled drives become scoring drives. If our running game is clicking, Dylan and our WR/TE will shred opposing defense's backfield. It all starts up front with the running game which is the way "old man" football is supposed to be!!
If you remember correctly, Connor was limping around the entire game. There were a couple instances where he tried to make a play outside the pocket and Michael Sam pwned him. The reason Connor was so successful is that the balls Dylan was missing on, Connor was able to hit. There were opportunities the entire game to blow the top off the Mizzou defense and Dylan either missed on or Mike Davis turned it over. Mizzou's defense was not as good as people were giving them credit for being leading up to the game, and that was Connor's best passing game ever as a Gamecock.

But back to your point, the running game is imperative but the way we set it up is probably a little different in years past. Probably have to lean on the pass to open up run lanes because Dylan doesn't give us the threat to keep it on the read play like Connor did and he also isn't going to pick up a 3rd & 6 with his legs. That is something he is going to have to do with his arm and decision making (checking it down to the backs / tight ends).

OR we become much more conventional in our run scheme than we have been used to and its ultimately going to come down the 5 guys up front to provide a push and give our backs some creases. We aren't very creative in our run play selection either which could be a problem if we can't just line up and pound it. Bottom line, if we can't pick up 3rd and short yardages with the run or short pass, we are in a whole lot of trouble this year.

2 very telling stats at the end of the year are going to be our 3rd down conversion % and yards per carry.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #62
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Just .... this line.... wow

Quote:
The culture at South Carolina is such that this program expects to win at a high level, regardless of the obstacles and distractions.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #63
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

I think that we have a really excellent group of tight ends. Better talent there than in the wr core.

I think one reason we haven't used them as much as we might have, was the kind of throws Connor was capable of making. Or more precisely he didn't have good vision over the middle part of the field due to his height.

There have been shorter qb's at different levels that had success making over the middle throws. Whether instant recognition, moving around, whatever they found a way to make it work. I don't think Connor ever really did. And I'm not talking about hitting a wide open receiver 30 yards down the middle of the field.

I don't think Dylan has the same problem seeing things. My hope is that we use the te's heavily this year. Depends on what Thompson can actually do in that regard, and what Spurrier wants to do.

But I can tell you that if Saunders and Cook had played for some other teams, they would have been targetted a lot more.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #64
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
I think one reason we haven't used them as much as we might have, was the kind of throws Connor was capable of making. Or more precisely he didn't have good vision over the middle part of the field due to his height.
We used our TE's a TON in 2012, and less so in 2013. I think that's mostly because we didn't have Justice Cunningham in 2013, not Connor's height.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #65
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Tight Ends only had 41 grabs in 2012. I wouldn't say that is a ton when its spread over 3 players.

Tight Ends had 30 grabs combined (Busta & Jerrell) in 2013.

Tight End is just not a focal point in the offense. They are used as check downs, on crossing patterns / pick plays, and down the seam. You'll never see one tight end getting WR grabs when the receiving corps are as good as they are. Jared Cook was an anomaly.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 04-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #66
SpockCock
Redshirt

Male

CockyCash: 1250
SpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervousSpockCock is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
If you remember correctly, Connor was limping around the entire game. There were a couple instances where he tried to make a play outside the pocket and Michael Sam pwned him. The reason Connor was so successful is that the balls Dylan was missing on, Connor was able to hit. There were opportunities the entire game to blow the top off the Mizzou defense and Dylan either missed on or Mike Davis turned it over. Mizzou's defense was not as good as people were giving them credit for being leading up to the game, and that was Connor's best passing game ever as a Gamecock.

But back to your point, the running game is imperative but the way we set it up is probably a little different in years past. Probably have to lean on the pass to open up run lanes because Dylan doesn't give us the threat to keep it on the read play like Connor did and he also isn't going to pick up a 3rd & 6 with his legs. That is something he is going to have to do with his arm and decision making (checking it down to the backs / tight ends).

OR we become much more conventional in our run scheme than we have been used to and its ultimately going to come down the 5 guys up front to provide a push and give our backs some creases. We aren't very creative in our run play selection either which could be a problem if we can't just line up and pound it. Bottom line, if we can't pick up 3rd and short yardages with the run or short pass, we are in a whole lot of trouble this year.

2 very telling stats at the end of the year are going to be our 3rd down conversion % and yards per carry.
I agree completely, but don't forget that if you fail on 3rd and short, the drive isn't necessarily over... 4th and short has been a pretty automatic "go for it" for Spurrier the last few years. Now, if we can't pick up 4th and short with the run or short passes, then we are really REALLY in trouble this year!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #67
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Tight Ends only had 41 grabs in 2012. I wouldn't say that is a ton when its spread over 3 players.

Tight End is just not a focal point in the offense. They are used as check downs, on crossing patterns / pick plays, and down the seam. You'll never see one tight end getting WR grabs when the receiving corps are as good as they are. Jared Cook was an anomaly.
I'll amend my statement. The TE's were big for us in '12 on 3rd downs and in the red zone...

Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #68
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I've watched Connor closely and believe we seldom used TE's (and WR slants) much because he didn't trust his arm without a good bit of separation. Even Alshon didn't get much separation, but caught the ball away from his body and used it to shield defenders like a pro. Watch him now. He grabs it and secures it even when closely covered (doesn't hurt that his glove size is like "Oh Wow!") Connor often held the ball trying to go downfield, waiting for separation, and Coach complained about it a bunch. I think if Dylan is confident and uses the TE's and short, quick throws, we will see a good run/pass balance and find opposing teams playing flat, exhausted, and vulnerable deep.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #69
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:

41 by tight ends is a decent haul when compared to 119 by WR's (8 of 'em) and 55 by backs. It's not as many as I would want with Cunningham, Adams, Anderson, and Owens on board, but not inconsequential. A better short passing game would yield more catches. It's kind of telling when your TE's are near the top in avg yards per catch.

Last edited by Goofyboy; 04-08-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #70
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I'm thinking we might be more streaky on offense, more three and outs and more 28 point quarters.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #71
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:

C2 I've tried to tell folks on here that the TE never has and never will be a big part of Spurrier's offense. I've given up, haha. Other than the routes you mentioned that's ab it and blocking. We finally got to see some 2 TE sets last year but similar production nothing special.

And with Busta's injury who knows how many games he will miss. I'd project another 30 or so catches combined this year, maybe less for ALL of the TEs.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #72
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

When you have receiving talents like Roland, Byrd, Jones, Cooper, and the running backs .. There aren't going to be a whole lot of touches for the Tight Ends. Wide Receivers and 'Backs dominate the passing offense and its always going to be like that. No matter how much fussing our fans do about it.

I'm thinking Jerell can get 25 grabs MAX this year.

I'm thinking the distribution is going to be something like:

Roland - 50
Byrd - 40
Cooper - 30
Jones - 30
Davis - 30
Adams/TE's - 25
Then the rest

Those totals could be a little higher given Dylan's gunslinging.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #73
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Lol...let's not get ahead of ourselves with this receiving corps just yet...outside of Roland I don't think the word talents can be used so liberally. Byrd can be if he recovers fully, and Cooper has the potential to be but he was more of a running threat in 2013. Jones will always be solid but there are way more question marks at the wr spot this year than answers.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #74
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

USC has 3 quality guys at WR and from all indications Cooper has had a fantastic Spring. Not sure where the "question marks" are at unless you're talking about depth behind them. But honestly, how often are we throwing balls to our 4th - 6th receivers in the rotation. Not much.

Its like saying this group was going to struggle without Alshon when they were actually better.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #75
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
USC has 3 quality guys at WR and from all indications Cooper has had a fantastic Spring. Not sure where the "question marks" are at unless you're talking about depth behind them. But honestly, how often are we throwing balls to our 4th - 6th receivers in the rotation. Not much.

Its like saying this group was going to struggle without Alshon when they were actually better.
Quality for sure, but certainly concerned about depth. I think Cooper will excel this year I just would like to see him make more plays from the wr spot. I hope Byrd will return to his pre-injury speed because that is what makes him special. I do agree that the receiving threat our running backs possess is a match-up problem for defenses...and apparently Wilds throws a nice ball too. But the fact is there is not a lot of proven depth at wr this year.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #76
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Yea we have nice core group of WRs. Roland and Byrd are playmakers and Jones is going to be nothing short of solid this year. Throw in Cooper and that's a nice group. If our line protects well and our running game is rolling this group can put up big numbers with Dylan slinging it.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #77
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

I do think USC has done a great job of replacing proven wide outs...Sydney, Alshon, Ace...Bruce? Hopefully that trend will continue and honestly I do expect it to. I, unlike some posters here, think Jr has done a really good job at USC with the position.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #78
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
When you have receiving talents like Roland, Byrd, Jones, Cooper, and the running backs .. There aren't going to be a whole lot of touches for the Tight Ends. Wide Receivers and 'Backs dominate the passing offense and its always going to be like that. No matter how much fussing our fans do about it.
You can certainly say that. And it might be true, as far as how we know it is going to turn out.

But the problem is that we have all seen offenses that utilize te's that totally tear up and gash defenses with te's that mismatch linebackers. And even if the defense takes that away it opens up all kinds of other things.

We have two guys, Anderson and Adams, with incredible speed to go along with good (Anderson) and great (Adams) size. Laugh all you want, but these guys have Gronkowski type physical tools. Whether they ever show hands as good, blocking as good, routes as good, or the knack to get open is up for question. (Though some of that is a coaching thing)

But they have the physical tools as regards speed and athleticism to do the same thing. And we are talking about them going up against college not NFL players.

Just seems like we have some incredible tools not being used to the fullest extent.

It also seems to me that the areas we recruit seem to produce a lot of the kind of athletes that make ideal tight ends. Even without TE's being focal in our offense we have gotten some really good ones. If it is a strong point as regards the kind of players we typically get (unlike road paver OT's) maybe we should play to our strengths.

So should I feel guilty as a fan for gnashing my teeth? If I look over the shoulder of a mechanic trying to turn a nut with a vise grip, should I feel stupid for telling him: "Hey why don't you use that wrench? It is the same size as the nut you are trying to turn."
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #79
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coach Spurrier never imagined using a TB 25-40 carries a game until he needed it and Lattimore proved his worth. He stated such several times. He's not as set in his ways as some remember. After a Florida game a couple of years ago when the TE's led the team in yards, he said he needed to learn to use tight ends better. I can see tight ends being a big third down option this year and a first down change-up if we're getting stuffed by box stackers because I think Thompson trusts his arm on short throws and because he's not the threat to get 8 or 10 by running that Shaw was. I don't think the TE's will be a heavily-used part of the mix, but I think Spurrier will use what works.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #80
Lonnie
Band

Male

Just want to put these here, for no particular reason....