CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
2000grad
Spurticus
GH
Gamecocks1137
75CarolinaFan
JoeMorrisonLives
Rooster'srule
johnnyb
Spur's Addiction
Welcome to Moe's (629)
Jay Paterno Attempts (578)
help with army insig (266)
Hercules - review (263)
I'm a grand godfathe (144)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (58)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (55)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (38)
George Miller revisi (38)
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE (23)
Lattimore Sidelined By Le
2015 - Auden Tate
2015 Commitment - Paris P
2015 - Albert Huggins
NEED 2TICKETS TO THE Texa
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Davon Durant
Help Give Cocky a Home
Official WWE Thread
2015 - Mon Denson

Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Exclamation The Golf Thread

I think CockyTalk is the only board that doesn't have a popular golf discussion or golf-related thread so I am starting an 'official' one up. We have a social group but it doesn't get too much activity these days. Basically this is the catch all for all golf related question, articles, personal stories, and general discussion.

And of course as we all know, its Masters week!

I recently moved by a Robert Trent Jones course and purchased a trail card. After what seems an eternity, I am finally hitting balls and playing regularly again and it feels great. I joined the USGA as well.

Is everyone else knocking the rust off? Let's talk about it!

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Golf Thread

I need to knock the rust off but golf courses inside of Houston (I live in Midtown/downtown area) are scarce.

The last time I golfed was early March at Lauberge in Lake Charles for a bachelor party. We did more drinking than golfing..
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I used to work at the Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken, SC (where I grew up) in high school. Golf has always been a big part of my mom's side of the family and that job is when I really got turned onto the game after mostly playing basketball or soccer. I played almost every day after school but ever since I went off to USC and now my job in Alabama, I just hadn't been able to play nearly as much.

I guess I'm one of a few that can't drink when playing golf. Idk what it is. I'd rather have beers after I'm finished playing. Strictly water or Gatorade on the course for me.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 04-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I'm thinking about getting a push cart so I can start walking some. Anyone have any suggestions on brand/model?

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

well like C2, my high school job was working at a golf course and that is when I really got into. I began playing golf in the 8th grade. When I went to Furman for college, I was able to play about 3-4 times a week but that greatly diminished once I graduated and started dental school. Now with kids I get out about one a week if I am lucky during the spring and summer. We have a Donald Ross course here in town that is a great deal for membership (200/month including carts and gym membership). I walk most of the time I play b/c I think it is the best way to experience golf. I currently play off a 1 handicap but it is on the rise, lol. If anyone is in my area and wants to tee it up, let me know!

My bag setup currently:

Driver: Taylor Made SLDR 460 9.5
3-wood: Titleist 913F 15 degree
Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP-59 4-P
Wedges: Vokey 50,54,60
Putter: Scotty Cameron circa 2
Ball: ProV1
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I live in MD and finally the ground is not frozen or too wet to get out there.

Unfortunately for me, having 2 kids that are only getting into more and more activities, I have less and less time for 5 hours on the links. I am hoping to play at least once this month though. I play to about a 10. Every now and again I can have a good day and shot a 75.

I am jealous of the RJT trail. I have played Oxmoor (both courses), Ross Bridge and 1.25 of the courses at Capital Hill before being rained out. Ross Bridge is probably one of my favorite courses that I have played to date.

I am interested in what sticks everyone uses...Me:

Drive: Ping G20
3W: Ping Rapture
19 degree Hybrid: Taylor Made
Irons (3-W) Ping I3 blades. Dated, but still do the job for me. I think Ping is on I25 or something like that now....
Gap and Sand wedge: Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'm thinking about getting a push cart so I can start walking some. Anyone have any suggestions on brand/model?
I know a lot of people who swear by clicgear carts. Here is a website:

http://www.clicgear.com/

Apparently they are really stable and solid carts.

I carry so I ordered a titleist sunday carry bag

http://www.golfblogger.co.uk/post/ti...g-buyers-guide

The bag weighs in at like 2.2 lbs or so. The double strap is only available in european markets but they pop up fairly often on Ebay. I think I paid like $90 for it. The sunday carry bag offered by titleist in the US only has one strap and it is kind of annoying (as I made the mistake of getting on of them)
Old 04-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #8
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

I played for my middle/high school teams and worked at a country club for a few years after that, so I got to play at least 3 or 4 times a week for free. It helped me get a lot better and also made it really, really hard for me to ever want to pay to play golf. With that said, I played three times last week, after hours, with club employees. So there's still a way to play for free.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

My bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R7 11 degree
3W: Taylor Made Rescue 19 degree
Hybrids (2): Ping i15 20 degree, 23 degree
5 - PW Irons: Wilson Fat Shafts
SW/GW/LW: Cleveland CG15 54 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro 2-Ball Blade

I was going to do a club fitting this year to update my bag but that is going to get pushed into next year it appears. Its kind of a mixed bag right now but I'd like to get a uniform club selection as far as brand.

I don't play a longer iron than a 5. Reason being that I absolutely love those Ping hybrids and I hit it long enough off the tee where I'm mainly hitting 7 irons and in into pins. I may hit my 5 and 6 once or twice a round and I just leave the 3 and 4 at home. I'd rather have the extra wedges in my bag.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

I have a bag boy quad cart and love it. Flods nice and small to fit in the trunk. My current set up is this

Nike Covert 2.0 Driver and Three Wood
Callaway X Hot Pro 3 Hybrid
Callaway X Hot Pro 4-AW
Titleist Vokey 54 and 58 SM4 wedges
SeeMore FGP putter
Srixon ZStar XV, ZStar SL balls
Old 04-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I used to play a LW and don't anymore. I manage with the SW just fine. Something about taking a full swing from 50 yards scares the heck outta me!
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

I love to play golf, I just don't get to play more than probably 5 times a year and I am not very good at it to spend a lot of money. I've never had a brand new set of clubs. I currently own a used set of Slazenger graphite irons and use an old Big Bertha Driver and fairway woods.

I can never hit my LW. I am much better with my GW from under 100 than my PW.
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Good timing for starting this thread with the Masters starting!

I always enjoyed golf as a kid, but I only played maybe five to ten times, so I never really learned what in the world I was doing. I was lucky enough to go to the Masters last year and I started getting into golf from there. Golfing is tough in Chicago, but I'm lucky that the park district tries to keep it alive in the city, including the Diversey driving range just a few blocks from my home.

I have some hand me down clubs and equipement, but before I go invest in better clubs and get them fitted, I need to actually learn how to swing properly. There's a GolfTec facility not a block away from me (indoor only, pretty small facility but it's in the city so what can you expect?). I have been thinking of signing up for lessons there. Any advice on what to look for when selecting someone to teach you?

Also, considering there's really only 1 course in the city itself and I don't have a car, I'm pretty excited that this would be my home course (even if it is just a par 36). Pretty great views for a city course:

(In case you're ever in the city and have time to golf: http://www.cpdgolf.com/Sydney-R-Maro...lf-Course.html)
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
I know a lot of people who swear by clicgear carts. Here is a website:

http://www.clicgear.com/

Apparently they are really stable and solid carts.

I carry so I ordered a titleist sunday carry bag

http://www.golfblogger.co.uk/post/ti...g-buyers-guide

The bag weighs in at like 2.2 lbs or so. The double strap is only available in european markets but they pop up fairly often on Ebay. I think I paid like $90 for it. The sunday carry bag offered by titleist in the US only has one strap and it is kind of annoying (as I made the mistake of getting on of them)
Thanks! I'll look into those and the bag boy quad cart

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
Good timing for starting this thread with the Masters starting!

I always enjoyed golf as a kid, but I only played maybe five to ten times, so I never really learned what in the world I was doing. I was lucky enough to go to the Masters last year and I started getting into golf from there. Golfing is tough in Chicago, but I'm lucky that the park district tries to keep it alive in the city, including the Diversey driving range just a few blocks from my home.

I have some hand me down clubs and equipement, but before I go invest in better clubs and get them fitted, I need to actually learn how to swing properly. There's a GolfTec facility not a block away from me (indoor only, pretty small facility but it's in the city so what can you expect?). I have been thinking of signing up for lessons there. Any advice on what to look for when selecting someone to teach you?

Also, considering there's really only 1 course in the city itself and I don't have a car, I'm pretty excited that this would be my home course (even if it is just a par 36). Pretty great views for a city course:

(In case you're ever in the city and have time to golf: http://www.cpdgolf.com/Sydney-R-Maro...f-Course.html)

From what I have read GolfTec is very pricey but you get what you pay for.

I think when it comes to picking teachers, you really have to live up to your end of the bargain and practice all the drills they teach you. I took some lessons when I was younger from a club pro, I'd do all the drills with him in person and hit it better .. but as soon as I went off and did my own thing I wouldn't practice them like I was suppose so I never got anything out of it.

There are also a bunch of drills and swing videos on YouTube.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Watching some of the Par 3 right now .. Jack's swing is still awesome. Arnie's back looks like its about to give out completely.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I know Sanka Coffee is the greatest push cart driver in all Jamaica!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Didn't start playing until the age of 35 when we bought a house in a golf course community. Bug hit me hard, I practiced or played just about every day, and got down to a low single handicap. 20 years later, I still love the game, but I don't play as much, rarely practice and probably play to about a 12.

Driver - Ping G20 10.5 Stiff
Woods - Callaway 3 & 5
Irons - Bridgestone J36 Blades 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588 RTX S Sole 54 & 60
Putter - Guerin Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet
Ball - Titleist ProV1
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

As far as clubs go:

Driver - TaylorMade Tour Burner
3 wood - TaylorMade V Steel
7 wood - Snake Eyes 600T
Irons - Ping Eye 2 orange dot (4-SW)
Wedges - Snake Eyes 56*, Cleveland 60* (honestly don't remember either model #)
Putter - Odyssey DualForce 990

Sometimes I'll throw in a Ping Eye 2 black dot 1 iron. Depends on how it feels on the range. When it's on, it's so on. When it's off, it's SO off.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
As far as clubs go:

Driver - TaylorMade Tour Burner
3 wood - TaylorMade V Steel
7 wood - Snake Eyes 600T
Irons - Ping Eye 2 orange dot (4-SW)
Wedges - Snake Eyes 56*, Cleveland 60* (honestly don't remember either model #)
Putter - Odyssey DualForce 990

Sometimes I'll throw in a Ping Eye 2 black dot 1 iron. Depends on how it feels on the range. When it's on, it's so on. When it's off, it's SO off.
IMO, this is one of the best fairway wood lines ever made. If anyone is looking for a great fairway wood that can be had at good prices, give this one a look. They setup great and are solid as hell.