CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
The Yancey
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
Decommitment from Te (1137)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (876)
Cleveland Browns Hea (722)
Garcia and Clemsux T (702)
Four USC Basketball (370)
Need a dog kennel (310)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (242)
Bowl packages (206)
Former Gamecock root (200)
5 apps to turn your (200)
2015 - Mark Fields
Cleveland Browns Headshot
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Former Gamecock rooting f
The Vent and Coaching cha
QB Next Season?
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
looks like we have 2 OL r
The U ends apparel deal w

Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #81
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly
Default Re: MLS Expands To

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
That is probably the most intense, hated rivalry in MLS.
That was actually a REALLY REALLY good game. 4-4 draw in the rain and Dempsey netting a hat-trick. I can actually say I watched that entire game last Saturday!!
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #82
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaka View Post
MLS published a legit article about MLS being more popular than MLB among young Americans.

Nobody is making this up, google it.
Here's the article. Not more popular.
As popular as the MLB among 12-17 year olds.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17...n-poll?cc=5901
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #83
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

MLS on the way up, MLB going down
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #84
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

People still watch MLB?

That said - I don't think I have ever watched an MLS game. I grew up playing soccer through high school. I get into the World Cup every 4 years. Sometimes the European Cup. But don't watch it more then that.

If MLS added a team in the Carolina's (preferably Raleigh) I would get into it.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #85
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Here's the article. Not more popular.
As popular as the MLB among 12-17 year olds.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/17...n-poll?cc=5901
Thanks for posting that. It's a pretty interesting article and it appears the study was legitimate and well-conducted. I do believe checking the included chart kind of reveals that the contention that MLS is equivalent to MLB in popularity is overstating it just a tad, though. MLB is in the midst of a dip in popularity (I suspect largely due to fatigue with the steroid scandals it's faced over the past several years and the absence of any real stars at the moment) and it's lowest point in 20 years according to this poll. But even so, it's still just a hair ahead of MLS at the height of its popularity. Could MLS eventually surpass it on the current trend? Sure, but it looks more to me like MLB steadily maintains an 18-25% interest share while MLS is between 10-18% though it's trend is more upward than the MLB's more flat line. The question is whether MLS can exceed that interest or if this is where it stops? NCAA football, for example, had a steadily upward-trending curve until 2008. That did not mean its popularity with kids would continue to grow, as the next 6 years of polling showed. My point is that you cannot assume an upward trend means it will continue to trend upward. It could, for sure. Or this could be the height of it.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #86
Kaka
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
Thanks for posting that. It's a pretty interesting article and it appears the study was legitimate and well-conducted. I do believe checking the included chart kind of reveals that the contention that MLS is equivalent to MLB in popularity is overstating it just a tad, though. MLB is in the midst of a dip in popularity (I suspect largely due to fatigue with the steroid scandals it's faced over the past several years and the absence of any real stars at the moment) and it's lowest point in 20 years according to this poll. But even so, it's still just a hair ahead of MLS at the height of its popularity. Could MLS eventually surpass it on the current trend? Sure, but it looks more to me like MLB steadily maintains an 18-25% interest share while MLS is between 10-18% though it's trend is more upward than the MLB's more flat line. The question is whether MLS can exceed that interest or if this is where it stops? NCAA football, for example, had a steadily upward-trending curve until 2008. That did not mean its popularity with kids would continue to grow, as the next 6 years of polling showed. My point is that you cannot assume an upward trend means it will continue to trend upward. It could, for sure. Or this could be the height of it.
My honest opinion.

I think soccer will take over baseball and basketball sometime in the future maybe 10 or 20 years from now, it will be #2 below football, who knows it if will ever be more popular than football, nobody can't predict the future.

Not hating on bk or baseball, I go to the batting cage once in a while, I am learning the sport and Im finding it fun, I still think soccer will get bigger with the time, billions of people that claim soccer is a great sport can't be wrong...

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #87
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

CockyCash: 10260
Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

Quote:
My honest opinion.

I think soccer will take over baseball and basketball sometime in the future maybe 10 or 20 years from now, it will be #2 below football, who knows it if will ever be more popular than football, nobody can't predict the future.

Not hating on bk or baseball, I go to the batting cage once in a while, I am learning the sport and Im finding it fun, I still think soccer will get bigger with the time, billions of people that claim soccer is a great sport can't be wrong...
Read an article a few months ago that said, last year:

Average MLS attendance: ~19k
Average NBA attendance: ~17k

TOMORROW IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Atlanta...
Legion?
Chiefs? (nod to the old Atlanta NASL team)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #88
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

Atlanta? Atlanta who? Whats their name? And I bet MIAMI will become a force in the MLS....
InletCock1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #89
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
My honest opinion.

There are articles all over the place stating that the WNBA beats out MLS in the viewership. As far as attendance, MLS soccer gets a boost from their tickets being half the price of NBA games. I don't hate soccer, but soccer isn't taking over either one of those sports anytime soon and most likely never will. Take a look at the annual revenue figures and you will see how big of a hill they would have to climb.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #90
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Read an article a few months ago that said, last year:

Average MLS attendance: ~19k
Average NBA attendance: ~17k

TOMORROW IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Atlanta...
Legion?
Chiefs? (nod to the old Atlanta NASL team)

1. Calling bullshit on those numbers.

2. Soccer teams are only put in markets in which they will succeed no matter the quality of the product on the field whereas NBA teams are in the biggest markets.

3. Soccer sucks.
Bobby Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #91
peterlemon
Game MVP

Male

peterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPitpeterlemon rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
1. Calling bullshit on those numbers.

2. Soccer teams are only put in markets in which they will succeed no matter the quality of the product on the field whereas NBA teams are in the biggest markets.

3. Soccer sucks.
They play half the games that the NBA plays on top of having ticket prices that are way cheaper. If soccer was moving the meter in a big way, it wouldn't be getting beaten by the WNBA in viewership.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote