CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
GH
Mt. Lattimore
jrussjr
RGHoskins
ConwayGamecock
sporkgod50
JerseyBird
BeatBamaTwice
CaptainCock91
Musburger/Palmer to (1450)
Shaq R. (1306)
Dustin Johnson takin (1282)
1st practice tonight (1234)
I'm in the Atlanta a (1002)
Malcolm Mitchell (kn (724)
We don't have a prac (432)
weather in columbia (431)
Overrated and Underr (364)
Donell Stanley injur (328)
Re-Airing South Carolina
Could we see 3 QBs on the
1st practice tonight
We don't have a practice
Official SEC Network and
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Backup QB competition
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Lebron James Going to Cav
Dustin Johnson taking a l

Old 04-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #21
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material
Default Re: Blah, Blah, Blah...Shotgun...Pistol...Under Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
Shotgun
Pros

Better against pressure due to being 7 yards back at line of scrimmage.
QB has a better view of the field (not in Madden)
Give the QB more time to show the ball on PA and Options

Cons
Harder to use 1 step drop concepts due to the 7 yard placement basically being an automatic 3 step drop
Lack of a downhill running game
Possibility of a bad snap

Under Center
Pros
Downhill running game
Great for 1 step drop concepts
Allows more action off the play action

Cons
Possible lack of vision for a QB
Struggles against pressure right up the middle more than Shotgun
QB has to completely turn his back to the defense off of any hard play action

Shotgun - "RBs have more leeway to move laterally when running out of the shotgun. When moving forward to take a handoff, their direction is already chosen because they have to go downhill to get the ball. Takes "happy feet" out of the equation for most backs.

The biggest thing to me is it allows the QB to see the defense more easily pre-snap and right at the snap. The biggest draw back to me is that the QBs drop is more or less already determined. The DEs don't have to figure out of its a one step, three step, or five step drop during the course of the play so it's a little easier for them to pin their ears back."

"I'd say the defense while the qb is under center, has to prioritize against the run and that can leave defenses vulnerable to the quick pass to a wide out, running back or a qb that rolls out and hits the receiver dragging across the middle. "

"No blind side in the shot gun."

"Shotgun sets up draw a bit better and gives RBs time to watch the holes open up a little bit better than the pro-style does. However, pro-style, under center plays allows Oline to "get lower" go with the hard count (versus silent count) and punch the dline harder..."

Oh, okay!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
Oh, okay!

Started the thread by reposting quotes about the shotgun and pistol formations along with some talk of under center and I-formation.

What are your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of using each?s
Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Started the thread by reposting quotes about the shotgun and pistol formations along with some talk of under center and I-formation.

What are your thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of using each?s

I like them.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #24
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

As far as uptempo goes - I think part of the reason we've been able to keep teams under 20 points a game on average the last few years has been because our offense can stay on the field and eat up clock. Going down the field quickly and scoring a lot of points is pretty and all, but it hasn't helped Clemson all that much against us and it's not what won us 11 games the last 3 seasons. We've had practically the same gameplan against Clemson the last few seasons. Keep them off the field and make the most of every possession we get. I'd rather impose our will against the opposing defense with five 300+ pound experienced offensive linemen coming at you 10+ plays a drive for about 7 minutes, then cap it off with a touchdown. We may go more uptempo, but in my opinion it will simply be so Spurrier can get his audibles in a bit quicker. A methodical approach to getting down the field and moving the chains is what we're likely to continue seeing.

More use of the fullback is something i'd love to see. The UCF game was a joy to watch when we got under center and Davis got behind a lead blocker. With Patrick Dimarco it opened up a lot of things offensively because you could pretty much stay with the same personnel and move around to multiple different formations. Easier to disguise looks that the opposing defense prepares for the week leading up to the game. That touchdown in the spring game by David Williams where the FB was the lead blocker was beautiful.

I don't expect to go the entire season and Dylan Thompson only throw 1 interception like we saw with Shaw. Surprisingly Shaw threw more passes this past season than he had in any other season leading up to it and still managed to only throw 1 INT. Yet he still knew when to take off running when the play broke down. I see that in Thompson just obviously not quite as much as we're accustom to seeing with Shaw. Thompson doesn't have to win the game by himself. If he can just facilitate the ball to the many skill players we have (literally at every position) and limit mistakes, i'm confident we'll see the endzone plenty of times this season.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #25
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
With the big O line and talent at RB... The qb under center is a better option for this team.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
auburn doesn't agree

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #26
lake-cityCOCK89
Two Deep

Male

lake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPitlake-cityCOCK89 rules the CockPit

We are best out of the shotgun mainly because Spurrier likes to run deep routes. Better protection comes with shotgun as well.

Types of running plays that shoutgun uses:
Power, pulling guards plays
Dives,
Speed option
Triple option with a 2 back set or WR in motion
Zone reads,
buck sweeps,
draws,
wr sweeps

you can do basically anything out of the shotgun.

Short passes are there (ask texas tech and Wash St), deep routes, Play action, roll outs.

The majority of teams use the shotgun and pistol sets now. That's because they are the best option.

WINNING

As easy as playing a Big 10 Team.
lake-cityCOCK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #27
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

We'll run some under center, some shotgun, some pistol, some wildcat this season obviously. I'd really love to see coaches expand more on the Pistol. It's just so easy to disguise looks because of how versatile it is and how many options you have personnel wise. You can motion guys all around and really get the defense off balance. The goal is to have the best play on before you snap the ball, and in my opinion the pistol does the best job of that. You can do everything you would do normally out of shotgun and under center from the pistol. If you want more to spread teams out and play more finesse you have that option, if you want to compress formations and line up with 2 TE's and a FB you can do that too. If you want 2 RB's on the field you can do that. More and more defenses are gameplanning and gearing up to stop the basic variation of the zone read. It's important for coaches to stay ahead of the curve and implement new things that have proven success at the college and pro level.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #28
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

It seems from looking at the different pro forums (while looking for information) that the NFL discounts QBs that played in mostly Shotgun-dependant systems in high school and college. Do you think this is true?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #29
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
It seems from looking at the different pro forums (while looking for information) that the NFL discounts QBs that played in mostly Shotgun-dependant systems in high school and college. Do you think this is true?
No. Not really. It's just that shotgun-dependant offenses didn't really get popular until, I guess Rich Rod and Urban Meyer started the trend. Then you get a bunch of guys like Alex Smith, Cam Newton, RG3, Ryan Tannehill... It seems to depend on the player more than system to me. Offensive styles are about 50/50 and so are the top QBs according to their style. It probably seems that way only because there are a lot of shotgun loving NFL offenses yet.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #30
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

I think the NFL in general needs to get with the times personally. It did only take a year or so for NFL coaches to kind of adapt to the pistol/zone read stuff that the 49er's and Seahawks were running, but teams in college have been spreading people out and running the zone read since the early 2000's. NFL teams obviously seem to prefer a guy that already has experience in a Pro-Style offense (example: Andrew Luck) but much of the route concepts and the way you read coverages are the same whether it be under center or in the shotgun. I think what scouts and coaches examine more is how smart were the spread offenses the QB managed? How intricate were the protections and blitz-pickup principles? Where they asked to do a lot on their own at the line of scrimmage and call the audibles? Sure guy's like Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, etc. win games with their arms, but even they operate out of the shotgun a large portion of the time now. Fact of the matter is what coach wouldn't want a dynamic play maker who can also make plays with their feet when protection breaks down? It starts at the highschool level. If I had to guess i'd say 80% or more highschool teams run some variation of the spread. It's easier to coach, it's easier for the players to learn, it puts your players in a better position to make big plays. When Shawn Elliot was hired we seemed to incorporate more spread concepts into the offense and now we're limiting the number turnovers and have established a strong running game which allows for better balance. I also don't think the QB necessarily has to have wheels either to run a spread offense. There is a lot of "Pro Style Spread" offenses that have had recent success. When you look at what the patriots, packers, saints, and other teams do offensively, you can't really say it's Pro Style over Spread. They're lining up with 4 sometimes 5 WR's and tossing it around 40 times a game.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #31
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
That would be most impressive to see in action

The precious little I can add to the topic:

I wasn't on here back then, but how did everyone feel about the decision to stay in the gun for the 4th & goal from the 1/2 yard line against UGA? I was in disbelief as they lined up and not at all surprised at the result. Of course, had it worked it would have been masterful genius
I was pissed at the decision. During that situation you line up in the I and run up the middle or off tackle.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 AM   #32
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Or at least there are shotgun formations for short yardage situations. Auburn has a play where they put an offensive guard in the backfield and have the ball carrier follow him into the hole. Give a guard a running star and he'll win against a LB.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #33
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 220685
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Con - Can't run The Annexation of Puerto Rico from the shotgun.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #34
Master Bedroom
Blue Chip

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Or at least there are shotgun formations for short yardage situations. Auburn has a play where they put an offensive guard in the backfield and have the ball carrier follow him into the hole. Give a guard a running star and he'll win against a LB.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #35
JerseyBird
Fuggedaboudit

Male

CockyCash: 2332
JerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot materialJerseyBird is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Con - Can't run The Annexation of Puerto Rico from the shotgun.
The blind over-the-head lateral part is universal, anyway
Take one star crunch. Then take lots of peanut butter and layer it THICK on the flat side. After that slam another star crunch on top of the peanut butter. Finally, slap yo momma. For those of you trying to "watch what you eat" don't add the second star crunch. This is the diet version-etowngangsta
JerseyBird is offline   Reply With Quote