CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
M.C.
FilchCock
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
markymark550
bigoleCOCK3521
MikeTrainNC8
rabid cock
Regalcock
Shaq Roland (3137)
clemson game time: N (2157)
**USC Women vs. San (1567)
The Defense (1432)
Women's soccer Sweet (1275)
2014 Charleston Clas (1030)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (832)
Mason Rudolph starti (786)
injury report? (547)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
2014 Charleston Classic:
For Discussing The Clemso
Shaq Roland
The Defense
Texans getting frustrated
USC/clemson spread
Melvin Gordon - sets all
2015 Commitment - Marquav
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Tiger Burn

Old 04-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #241
Latti
Uscooper

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Latti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudlyLatti is crowing loudly
Default Re: **USC vs. Florida GAME #3 Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
Yep, pretty bad. All these players saying we aren't getting down or it doesn't bother us, need to start getting down and being bothered. Completely choking away a crucial series against a division opponent is cause for reevaluating what you're doing out there.

They don't need to get down. But hopefully they are bothered.
Latti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #242
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

We need to get this "bad stretch" behind us quick and get back on track. Hopefully this is just a little slump and over the next two, three weeks we shake this off. It's baseball, things happen.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #243
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

Imo, better this stuff happen now than the post-season. Gives us time to iron out the wrinkles. This team has a lot of potential. Just have to put it all together.
StretfordEnd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #244
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

I can't remember a season in which we didn't have a tough stretch of SEC play, and I also can't recall a season in which we didn't rebound from a tough stretch of SEC play. It's been a tough couple weeks, but we will rebound like we always do.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #245
1982Gamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws1982Gamecock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
I'll finish up this thread by saying this. O'Sullivan is exactly what we think he is. Having said that, I watched for maybe the first time ever, a coach absolutely manipulate (within the rules) most of the goings on in yesterday and today's games. Been a long time since I witnessed such a complete dictation of pitching changes, lineup changes, strategy and stalling tatics.
I said last night in the Game 2 thread that it "felt" like we got out coached. It didn't feel that way today, but was along that same vein to be sure....
I'll say this, I love Chads cool demeanor, but you could hear the gears grinding in O'Sullivans head this weekend............literally. Timely hitting has eluded us in both games and that my friends is a whole other thread waiting to happen.
Like it or not, we got schooled this weekend. Sometimes those lessons elude us because we overcome them with late inning heroics, but not this time. We are a better team than the Florida Gators, we just didn't show it this weekend, and that in and of itself has enough blame to go around.
I don't disagree that we're a good team but I don't think we should make a statement that we are better than Florida right now. That's kind of like Bo Pellini saying Nebraska was better than us after we beat them in the bowl game or like Clemson who will conjure up some sort of rationale about how they're better than us because they won a BCS game even though we own them.

We are a good team with potential but I was so disappointed in how we failed to close it out in games #2 and #3 this weekend. Had the game in control and between pitching a leaving runners stranded, we let the wheels fall off and they capitalized. I felt the shoe was on the other foot this weekend because we are usually the opportunists but this time we let the Gators beat us. The better team should win at least 2 of the three and with the weekend's results in the books, they have bragging rites for now.

If we fix just a few things we can go from good to better to even best but until then, the SEC could be a rough road to hoe. We will do well overall but got to call it like I see it- we are young and only have a handful of consistent players/pitchers and that's not good enough.

I do question a little bit of our tactics too. Ray won with finesse and playing to make opportunities. We used to effectively bunt, steal and most importantly play the small ball. Now it seems everyone's stroking for homeruns and not moving guys around the bases. IMO
1982Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #246
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I will say this...stranding 16 runners in Game 2 is what did it...it wasn't what O'Sullivan did, it is what we didn't do...Florida got the key hits when they needed them, we didn't.

That has been our problem the last few weeks...not getting runners in at key points of the game.

Florida beat us, tip your hat to them.

No injury excuses, they won.

In the past we won these one-run affairs..right now we are getting our taste of the opposite.

Time to bounce back, though it could be a tough week.
Charleston Southern is a game we should win handily, and the Citadel we should pull away late.

Auburn is the worst team in the West, and I think this is a series we should sweep. We are hands down better than Auburn on paper...if the team that played against Florida Friday shows up for those three games in the Plains...easy sweep.

No excuse to lose to a team that has close to an ERA of 3 ERA, bats .286 and sports a .965 fielding percentage and a 1.2 WHIP....roughly 10 baserunners a game.

(For comparision, SC has 1.82 ERA, bats .287, has a .976 fielding percentage and has a WHIP of 1.04...roughly 9 runners a game)
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #247
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982Gamecock View Post
I don't disagree that we're a good team but I don't think we should make a statement that we are better than Florida right now. That's kind of like Bo Pellini saying Nebraska was better than us after we beat them in the bowl game or like Clemson who will conjure up some sort of rationale about how they're better than us because they won a BCS game even though we own them.

We are a good team with potential but I was so disappointed in how we failed to close it out in games #2 and #3 this weekend. Had the game in control and between pitching a leaving runners stranded, we let the wheels fall off and they capitalized. I felt the shoe was on the other foot this weekend because we are usually the opportunists but this time we let the Gators beat us. The better team should win at least 2 of the three and with the weekend's results in the books, they have bragging rites for now.

If we fix just a few things we can go from good to better to even best but until then, the SEC could be a rough road to hoe. We will do well overall but got to call it like I see it- we are young and only have a handful of consistent players/pitchers and that's not good enough.

I do question a little bit of our tactics too. Ray won with finesse and playing to make opportunities. We used to effectively bunt, steal and most importantly play the small ball. Now it seems everyone's stroking for homeruns and not moving guys around the bases. IMO
I do agree our hitting tactics need an adjustment.
I would like to see us do more bunting, hit and run and other small ball tactics...at times we do them and they work...we still rely too much on long balls I think, and in today's game you just can't do that.

I can't agree with the youth.
All of our regular fielders played college ball last year so they aren't tired.
The only people who should be getting tired are our freshman pitchers, but I think Myers has done a good job keeping our guys fresh.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote