CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
cockybreeyan
soccerguy79
cockyguitar
Yearofthegamecock
Cockypantherfan
Gamecocks1137
BlakelyH19
No Curse
**USC vs. Texas A&am (53489)
A&M vent thread (9946)
SOS is pissed (3438)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Players reaction to (1526)
Man of my word (no t (1498)
Here is the trophy f (1440)
Work Today Efficient (1431)
Jimmies and Joes (1389)
Worst Beating since? (1325)
Lorenzo Ward's Play calli
Worst Beating since?
Overall I thought Byrd, J
SOS is pissed
I'm not buying the hype,
I'm not looking forward t
Good effort Cocks
Toughest stadium in the n
A&M vent thread
Just a friendly PSA

Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn
Default Re: Where will we be preseason with Aja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
I bet they will anyway
They will be more like 8th.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
IMO our biggest needs for next season is:

1) Both Sessions and Dozier improve on their contributions to the team as starters, or they may not be starters for long. In the 5 losses USC suffered last season to 4 opponents, Sessions and Dozier COMBINED for 6 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg, and collectively shot 10 for 57 (17.5%) from the field. Sessions was 3 for 28 herself (10.7%). If USC wants to truly live amongst the elite in the nation next season, they will need dependable contributions from ALL FIVE STARTERS. That doesn't mean each of the 5 score 20 ppg all season long, but if we expect to compete for SEC titles, #1 seeds, and Final Fours, we're going to be playing against the elite in the nation often to get there, and they will collapse into our post players and force our Gs and perimeter players to score from the outside.

This past season, against our toughest opponents, we fared poorly at it, and it cost us. All 4 opponents that best us 5 times were quality opponents: they ALL played in the NCAAT, and ALL made the Sweet Sixteen. TWO of them made the Elite Eight, and UT was a #1 Seed. All the losses were very close contests with only two of them being by 10+ pts, and those were by 10 and 12 pts. So we were in all of those gms, despite having bad gm efforts in all of them. Having just a little bit of outside scoring presence in those 5 games may have helped pull the pressure off of our young post players, and given us a better chance to compete. We'll need both Sessions and Dozier to step up next season, or perhaps step aside for...

2) Our incoming Gs Cuevas and Duckett provide immediate offensive contributions from the perimeter. Both are highly rated prospects that can - in their own right individually - be impact players for USC next season. If for no other reason, because USC's needs that they can address is so obvious. Alaina was rated as a prep prospect around where both Bianca and Kaydra are in their class, although she just missed out on getting her 5th star. She wasn't even a starter for USC, but due to USC having little to no prior post presence, she was able to stride in and improve USC's offense dramatically. Both Bianca and Kaydra are very good perimeter shooters, so hopefully they can impact the team in the same fashion, even if they don't become starters next season.

If those two can contribute immediately, IMO our team will be more balanced offensively which will prevent opponents from game-planning our top players out of the equation, and give us a better chance to compete against the most talented, deepest teams. And of course adding A'ja Wilson to the class will add even greater impact to it, as she's physically gifted enough to transition back and forth from the perimeter, AND provide instant help in the paint should opponents successfully blanket Ibiam, Coates, Welch, or White. But Khadijah and Asia need to take strides this off-season, or they may end up becoming depth on the roster IMO...
Have several points I'd like to make:

Takes some players longer than others to adjust to the college game. Don't count out Sessions and Dozier just yet. Both were highly thought of coming out of high school. Remem DS saying KS would be her team's Latti, and I think she knows she has work to do on her shooting from around the key.

AD's strength coming out of HS was her shooting, but she has developed an all-around game(2nd on the team in assists). If she can relax and let her shot flow, she can shoot the lights at CLA out.

Bet both will be practicing their shooting this summer until their hands almost fall off. Count on it.

Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing BC & KD play, but they will have to earn their PT the hard way with skinned knees and elbow grease.

Tho A'ja's all-around game made her the #1 player in the country, J White is at least her equal as a big. With her soft shooting touch, IMO JW has the potential to be a zone-buster from the corner. Think she will be an outstanding 4 both inside and out.

Then there's A'ja, AC, AW, TM, EI...Tina if her shot comes around, and Olivia...Lord, please don't pinch me; just let me dream for a while. Back in the day Red lit his victory cigar. Wonder how Dawn's gonna sign hers???
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #23
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

^The great thing about next year's team is we will be able to put a talented 5 on the floor that can play full court or a talented 5 on the floor that can play half court. With the talented depth we'll have, we could full court press some teams into oblivion, especially teams that don't have much depth.