CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
SwampFox
RGHoskins
GamecockinILL
JaxcockFL
75CarolinaFan
cocksmith1or11
FanofCarolina1
JohnnyB21
burr
Backup QB competitio (1804)
Blake McClain (1422)
What ever happened t (1352)
2014 Preseason USA T (948)
Ranking the SEC Fema (582)
Clowney's Madden Rat (477)
Ebola Outbreak (407)
2017 - Jaden Hunter (352)
Future Non-Conferenc (343)
Daily Dose of Food P (328)
Backup QB competition
Re-Airing South Carolina
Carolina-Mizzou 2013 Repl
Future Non-Conference Sch
Daily Dose of Food Porn!
Clemson, Auburn home and
The Biggest Idiots In Bas
An Aggies View of the Mat
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Blake McClain


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #81
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
qcgamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 2,578
CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Because they aren't going to get to play. It's a totally different situation. DD was a big reason they were able to get a bunch a other good recruits. Because they wanted to play with her and expected her to be there 3-4 years. 1 year scholarships are for players struggling to get playing time. Not for blue chip superstars like DD. UNC was recruiting based off a plan of building around DD. How can you not see the difference? She want's to leave, it's her right, but she is letting a lot of people down that were relying on her. Especially if the reason she is leaving is just because she just wants to go play with some other people like A'ja or T'ea. That is like saying a big FU to Gray.
So because she was a star and great player it is different, that is the problem! She is the same, she gets a 1 year scholarship, each player that went to play with her can transfer with her and still play with her so the only person let down is the coach and fans, who could technically follow her as well!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #82
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
qcgamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 2,578
CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
They don't give them scholarships to stay on the bench their ENTIRE COLLEGE EXPERIENCE!!!! When it becomes apparent that is what is going to happen they get to told they should leave before they blow all their eligibility.
1st off they do not give them scholarships the kids earn them through hard work, dedication and God given ability. 2nd they do not give scholarships for an entire college experience, they are for one year, they have been rewarded to sit on a bench for a year, end of discussion!!!! For clarification most are not asked to play somewhere else they are told they will not have a scholarship next year...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #83
ktguen
2nd Team All-American
 
ktguen's Avatar
 
Female

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 8,333
CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCocky14 View Post
Are you're honestly trying to argue that kicking kids off the team is fine, but it's not cool when star players leave? Jesus dude. Just take a lap.




No one is giving out scholarships to kids just for a year to see if they work out. If they're good enough to earn a scholarship, the coaching staff believes they're obviously good enough to contribute to the team.


The level of delusion some fans have is ridiculous. You don't know why she left. I don't either. In the end, it doesn't matter. It's her life and her career. She played her year and fulfilled her scholarship.

I honestly don't know what is so hard to understand about this.
You realize that exactly how it works right? Scholarships are yearly.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #84
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,690
CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
1st off they do not give them scholarships the kids earn them through hard work, dedication and God given ability. 2nd they do not give scholarships for an entire college experience, they are for one year, they have been rewarded to sit on a bench for a year, end of discussion!!!! For clarification most are not asked to play somewhere else they are told they will not have a scholarship next year...
They give them the FIRST scholarship they get for the promise to sign a LOI to their school. Then from there out they have to earn it. Not by working hard. but by BEATING THEIR COMPETITION. If they aren't going to give them a scholarship any more it's because they aren't planning on letting them PLAY. Players want to play not sit on the bench. I said they DON'T give scholarships so that a player can sit on the BENCH for their entire college experience. That is what it sounded like you were trying to say.

Last edited by ReadR00ster; 04-18-2014 at 02:37 PM.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #85
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,690
CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
So because she was a star and great player it is different, that is the problem! She is the same, she gets a 1 year scholarship, each player that went to play with her can transfer with her and still play with her so the only person let down is the coach and fans, who could technically follow her as well!
Yes, it's different. That is how the world works. Some matter a lot, some people don't matter at all. Sorry. Diamond will profit because of that social dynamic, so that is the cost she pays. All she had to do to handle this the right way is talk to her coach about it and let her know face to face. Not doing that is disrespectful and shows a lack of appreciation and care for her teammate's feelings. At least, when coaches tell kids they won't have a scholarship they tell it to their face and give a few words of encouragement and say they were appreciated and will help them out in anyway they can.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #86
JDuro
4-Star
 
JDuro's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lexington
Posts: 381
CockyCash: 608
JDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his comb
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Good commentary article by ESPNW's Michelle Voepel that delves into DeShields' mindset through past interviews with her last season.

DeShields transfer not a total shock

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...cides-transfer
__________________

JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #87
kingoftheroost
la-la-la
 
kingoftheroost's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 3,775
CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
Good commentary article by ESPNW's Michelle Voepel that delves into DeShields' mindset through past interviews with her last season.

DeShields transfer not a total shock

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...cides-transfer
Well, listening to that video, the young woman won't be coming here, lol. I get what the woman was saying, but wasn't the logic somewhat insulting to DeShields? It was, of course, quite complimentary of Coach Staley and our team, but still a little bit of a slap in DeShields's face, I think.
__________________
kingoftheroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #88
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
qcgamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 2,578
CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
They give them the FIRST scholarship they get for the promise to sign a LOI to their school. Then from there out they have to earn it. Not by working hard. but by BEATING THEIR COMPETITION. If they aren't going to give them a scholarship any more it's because they aren't planning on letting them PLAY. Players want to play not sit on the bench. I said they DON'T give scholarships so that a player can sit on the BENCH for their entire college experience. That is what it sounded like you were trying to say.
I started earning my scholarship in the 6th grade, I stayed after practice, you never saw me without a basketball in my hand working on my handles, and I shot 500 shots on most nights and would not leave the gym till I hit 20 free throws in a row....No one gave me $hit, the sacrifices my mother made were enormous as well, no one gave her $hit either!
Kids get released or do not have there scholarship renewed for behavioral issues, academic issues, inability to grasp the system, inability to listen or get along with the coach...
Again, they do not give scholarships for an entire college experience and many players have sat the bench for an entire career only to get some garbage time on SR day, you have to have practice guys who make good grades and help teach the freshmen the system in the one and done era!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #89
NJCocky14
Recruit
 
NJCocky14's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbia
Posts: 148
CockyCash: 500
NJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
You realize that exactly how it works right? Scholarships are yearly.
Eh, probably poor wording. I meant that if a player earns a scholarship, the coaching staff obviously believes they can contribute to the program at some point. We're not just handing out scholarships to any somewhat decent player who might possibly turn into a good player.


When we cut players, it's basically the coaching staff admitting that they are either poor recruiters or they can't develop talent.
NJCocky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 PM   #90
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,690
CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
I started earning my scholarship in the 6th grade, I stayed after practice, you never saw me without a basketball in my hand working on my handles, and I shot 500 shots on most nights and would not leave the gym till I hit 20 free throws in a row....No one gave me $hit, the sacrifices my mother made were enormous as well, no one gave her $hit either!
Kids get released or do not have there scholarship renewed for behavioral issues, academic issues, inability to grasp the system, inability to listen or get along with the coach...
Again, they do not give scholarships for an entire college experience and many players have sat the bench for an entire career only to get some garbage time on SR day, you have to have practice guys who make good grades and help teach the freshmen the system in the one and done era!
It's nice that you did all that, but that is not why you got a scholarship. Some players don't work hard and get scholarships because they are just THAT GOOD and they have behavioral issues and don't listen well but that gets overlooked because of their TALENT. We are not talking about some scrubs at the end of the bench here. We are talking about a superstar. Superstars get 4 year scholarships. They just do. She was never going to have her scholarship pulled unless she screwed up royally. HER scholarship is guaranteed because she is too good ever lose it. You don't like that? Than...
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #91
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
qcgamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 2,578
CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It's nice that you did all that, but that is not why you got a scholarship. Some players don't work hard and get scholarships because they are just THAT GOOD and they have behavioral issues and don't listen well but that gets overlooked because of their TALENT. We are not talking about some scrubs at the end of the bench here. We are talking about a superstar. Superstars get 4 year scholarships. They just do. She was never going to have her scholarship pulled unless she screwed up royally. HER scholarship is guaranteed because she is too good ever lose it. You don't like that? Than...

Demetrius Summers, Derrick Watson, Ramon Galloway, Chad Gary, Cam Newton... all disagree!!
Know matter how talented you are if you do not practice playing basketball you will not be good, Carlton Geathers is a very large man and worked hard to get his scholarship but things did not work out due to his body, if you think coaches do not look at work ethic when they give out a scholarship then...Some coaches will take you if you show some talent but not all, others want to see you will work hard, if you think talent will get you through a Frank Martin practice then...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #92
JDuro
4-Star
 
JDuro's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lexington
Posts: 381
CockyCash: 608
JDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his comb
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Angie Hembree, DeShields' coach at Norcross, said the star forward plans to complete classes later this month and return home to consider her future plans. She must sit out a transfer year to another Division I program and Hembree said ACC rules keep her from transferring to another ACC school. That would eliminate two teams that recruited her heavily out of high school, Maryland and Duke. Tennessee and Connecticut also were among her top choices during her recruitment.

"She played her butt off, won freshman of the year, but she was not happy," Hembree said. "(The UNC coaches) knew she hasn't been happy. Knowing what a good year she had, what a good person she is, to make the tough decision to sit out a year tells you a lot. She was honest and up front and she played her tail off (last season). She loves Coach Hatchell. She just felt, deep down, that she had to make a change.

"She's very loyal. She's not the kind of person who won't be loyal. ... She just was not happy and made a tough decision."

Hembree also said the break may be good physically for DeShields, who has played constantly and through injuries in recent years.

"She's played non-stop since the ninth grade, in the summers and during the year," Hembree said. "She played hurt for me. She played hurt for North Carolina. She just wants to get completely well."
http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/ne...nc-basketball/
__________________

JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #93
CockyGuy
Five-Star Recruit
 
CockyGuy's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Columbia
Posts: 116
CockyCash: 500
CockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervousCockyGuy is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Another question is, although minor, does this mean we move up to #2 in the preseason polls?
A little late but you got your answer..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...op-10-2014-15/
__________________
It's only unthinkable if you don't think it.
CockyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #94
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,690
CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Demetrius Summers, Derrick Watson, Ramon Galloway, Chad Gary, Cam Newton... all disagree!!
Know matter how talented you are if you do not practice playing basketball you will not be good, Carlton Geathers is a very large man and worked hard to get his scholarship but things did not work out due to his body, if you think coaches do not look at work ethic when they give out a scholarship then...Some coaches will take you if you show some talent but not all, others want to see you will work hard, if you think talent will get you through a Frank Martin practice then...
LOL. Than why is Clowney going to be a top 5 draft pick when so many are complaining about his work ethic. Said the same thing about Quinton Coples.
Drafted #16. Ramon Galloway? He was a superstar? Really? Johnny Football? Janoris Jenkins? Alshon Jeffery? Victor Hampton? C.C Whitlock? All of these guys have had issues with "work ethic" or "discipline" and they all stuck around. Why? TALENT that is why.

There are different rules for Superstars. In every sport, in every level. It Just is. They can get away with little things, they don't have to work hard all the time. They can't get away with big things MOST of time. The opposite side of that, is when they do something that can be criticized for it doesn't evade the public and take heat. But at the end of the day they survive it because teams want to WIN and that means nothing is more important than having that superstar on the team.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:20 AM   #95
OldPat
Blue Chip
 
OldPat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sc
Posts: 855
CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
It's nice that you did all that, but that is not why you got a scholarship. Some players don't work hard and get scholarships because they are just THAT GOOD and they have behavioral issues and don't listen well but that gets overlooked because of their TALENT. We are not talking about some scrubs at the end of the bench here. We are talking about a superstar. Superstars get 4 year scholarships. They just do. She was never going to have her scholarship pulled unless she screwed up royally. HER scholarship is guaranteed because she is too good ever lose it. You don't like that? Than...
First time I ever heard "My Heart Bleeds for You" played on a violin. LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:41 AM   #96
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
qcgamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 2,578
CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
LOL. Than why is Clowney going to be a top 5 draft pick when so many are complaining about his work ethic. Said the same thing about Quinton Coples.
Drafted #16. Ramon Galloway? He was a superstar? Really? Johnny Football? Janoris Jenkins? Alshon Jeffery? Victor Hampton? C.C Whitlock? All of these guys have had issues with "work ethic" or "discipline" and they all stuck around. Why? TALENT that is why.

There are different rules for Superstars. In every sport, in every level. It Just is. They can get away with little things, they don't have to work hard all the time. They can't get away with big things MOST of time. The opposite side of that, is when they do something that can be criticized for it doesn't evade the public and take heat. But at the end of the day they survive it because teams want to WIN and that means nothing is more important than having that superstar on the team.
Because you would be crazy IMO to think that Clowney does not work hard at being a great football player or any of the players you mentioned for that matter. Some work harder outside of the game as well as outside of a watchful eye and those are the players that make it, many superstars never see the court or field. I've seen some of the most talented players on the high school level, top 50 in the country talent think just like you and not make it in college and have a very hard time in life. You think about the % of SR's in high school who are offered an athletic scholarship, the % who make up the top 50 in a particular sport, the % that actually end up superstars, then the % who make it as professionals and if you think the % who did not work hard is at the most small you would be crazy IMO.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:45 AM   #97
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC
 
qcgamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 2,578
CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
LOL. Than why is Clowney going to be a top 5 draft pick when so many are complaining about his work ethic. Said the same thing about Quinton Coples.
Drafted #16. Ramon Galloway? He was a superstar? Really? Johnny Football? Janoris Jenkins? Alshon Jeffery? Victor Hampton? C.C Whitlock? All of these guys have had issues with "work ethic" or "discipline" and they all stuck around. Why? TALENT that is why.

There are different rules for Superstars. In every sport, in every level. It Just is. They can get away with little things, they don't have to work hard all the time. They can't get away with big things MOST of time. The opposite side of that, is when they do something that can be criticized for it doesn't evade the public and take heat. But at the end of the day they survive it because teams want to WIN and that means nothing is more important than having that superstar on the team.
For the record Galloway was a superstar in LaSalle when he led them to the sweet 16 and the 42nd rated Sr in the 2013 draft according to NBA draft.com
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #98
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,690
CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Because you would be crazy IMO to think that Clowney does not work hard at being a great football player or any of the players you mentioned for that matter. Some work harder outside of the game as well as outside of a watchful eye and those are the players that make it, many superstars never see the court or field. I've seen some of the most talented players on the high school level, top 50 in the country talent think just like you and not make it in college and have a very hard time in life. You think about the % of SR's in high school who are offered an athletic scholarship, the % who make up the top 50 in a particular sport, the % that actually end up superstars, then the % who make it as professionals and if you think the % who did not work hard is at the most small you would be crazy IMO.
Welp, there is a lot of crazy people out there then. You've got to remember that perception is reality. Diamond is viewed at an arrogant prima donna by many, and she has no one to blame but herself because it's because of the things she says and the way she behaves. To me she seems to flop and fake injuries like soccer players do. I have see her in 4 different games take weak contact and get "hurt" and act like she is in agony than she leaves the court and comes back 7 mins later and she wasn't slowed down or hampered at all.
She is all about attention for herself, and when a star player demands attention, she can attract more than one kind. Good attention for her play and bad attention for the way she handles herself the wrong way.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #99
ccured
What a Rush!!!
 
ccured's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: columbia sc
Posts: 7,952
CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Welp, there is a lot of crazy people out there then. You've got to remember that perception is reality. Diamond is viewed at an arrogant prima donna by many, and she has no one to blame but herself because it's because of the things she says and the way she behaves. To me she seems to flop and fake injuries like soccer players do. I have see her in 4 different games take weak contact and get "hurt" and act like she is in agony than she leaves the court and comes back 7 mins later and she wasn't slowed down or hampered at all.
She is all about attention for herself, and when a star player demands attention, she can attract more than one kind. Good attention for her play and bad attention for the way she handles herself the wrong way.
I don't agree with much that you say but I do agree she is a prima Donna looking for attention. She played out of position at point for most of the year and don't think she was happy about it. She does play hurt but she way over sales how banged up she is. I do think it is bush league to not tell your coach beforehand especially one that has not been coaching due to leukemia.

Side note: didn't know she delino deshields daughter. That dude was super fast back in the day. He was a prima Donna as well.

Serious question though the school has to sign a transfer request paper what if they refused?
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #100
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 8,690
CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WBB, Transferring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
I don't agree with much that you say but I do agree she is a prima Donna looking for attention. She played out of position at point for most of the year and don't think she was happy about it. She does play hurt but she way over sales how banged up she is. I do think it is bush league to not tell your coach beforehand especially one that has not been coaching due to leukemia.

Side note: didn't know she delino deshields daughter. That dude was super fast back in the day. He was a prima Donna as well.

Serious question though the school has to sign a transfer request paper what if they refused?
I think that is the rule, that if school signs the papers she can transfer immediately, if they don't they have to sit out a year.

Back to Diamond. I am not saying she doesn't have a right to transfer. Or if she is doesn't have a good reason. All I am saying is certain actions have certain consequences. If you leave a school handling it the way she did and not tell anyone, the consequence of that your character is going to be judged. Even coaches when tell players they lost their scholarship have the deceny enough to tell them to their face. They don't move practice to a different location and not the tell the guy.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development