CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
gamecockphan
taylorssc
robgusc76
Lonnie
U-Dub Gamecock
CoverTwo
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4127)
USC/clemson spread (1797)
In case no one saw.. (1454)
Bowl projections (1342)
Why has there been 4 (761)
Odell Becham Catch (759)
A little late to the (698)
Tiger Burn (538)
Texas A&M Defens (397)
No excuse for the D (373)
weekend conference Predic
Good Omen for Saturday?
The Defense
USC/clemson spread
Texans getting frustrated
Drew Owens missing?
Shaq Roland
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
No excuse for the D this
Odell Becham Catch

Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #21
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material
Default Re: NBA Wants to Up Age Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
To my understanding it is an either-or scenario. So you go to college for a year or if you are 19 when you leave high school, you can enter the draft. It is not that you have to be above 19 no matter when you graduated HS.
per wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibi..._the_NBA_draft
Quote:
The "one year out of high school" requirement is in addition to the age requirement. For example, although O. J. Mayo turned 19 in November 2006, six months before his high school graduation, he was not eligible until the 2008 draft, a year after his high school class graduated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25
I think all sports should go to the baseball rule, that way it would shut up the athletes are being mistreated crowd. It would also help both the pro and college game. The other big change is that the universities need to actually educate these athletes and get them degrees while also educating them on how to be a pro. Student athletes should be given courses on how to handle their finances and manage their marketability. Too many universities are putting athletes in bogus majors and not actually helping the athletes better themselves. Schools need to reconstitute the idea of being a student athlete into college athletics.
Completely agree with the baseball rule. Because of the way the season runs in basketball the player can play one year and be academically ineligible and it doesn't matter because they are gone by the second semester.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
come on man. Employee age discrimination was the obvious case I was talking about.
Well there is an ADEA Act, that protects employees over 40 from being discriminated against. I don't see any law that says employers can't discriminate because employees are too young, so you look at other laws of society to see if there are laws that discriminate against young people to see it would be permissible.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #23
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
per wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eligibi..._the_NBA_draft

Completely agree with the baseball rule. Because of the way the season runs in basketball the player can play one year and be academically ineligible and it doesn't matter because they are gone by the second semester.
I guess I was wrong about the age vs one year rule.

The other change that would be needed in the MLB rule is that HS kids would be allowed to enter for the NFL or NBA draft without losing college eligibility. Also they'd be given an option to go with that draft pick or go to college. It would allow both sides the ability to get players/paid now but also not forcing either side into a one shot position at getting some of these guys.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #24
Luke Skycocker
Git Dat Baw

Male

2011 Football Pickem: 2011 Football Pickem - Given for: 2011 Football Pickem Champ 
CockyCash: 106687138593
Luke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot materialLuke Skycocker is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agreed but someone like Clowney should have the right to be drafted and be paid to progress at an assigned facility. You are talking maybe 1 player every 5 to 7 years and that would be probably a 4th round pick. The players potential would have to be obvious to invest in that player.
It's not worth having lots of kids enter the draft out of high school just hoping and then having their careers end just so the one kid every decade can go. And honestly, Clowney wasn't ready out of high school to play in the NFL
Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #25
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
It's not worth having lots of kids enter the draft out of high school just hoping and then having their careers end just so the one kid every decade can go. And honestly, Clowney wasn't ready out of high school to play in the NFL
That's why they have to allow players to not go even if they get drafted, just like the MLB draft. However I'd keep the same rules for college athletes declaring for the draft and their eligibility.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #26
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

Regardless I'll still watch college basketball and football.
So cool idea.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #27
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Isn't age discrimination allowed? I thought it was. You can't get a license until you are 16... You can't buy tobacco or vote until you are 18... You can't drink alcohol until you are 21...
You can stay on your parent's insurance until your 26
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #28
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Personally I think it should be like baseball. Straight out of high school or 3 years in college. Football should be the same way. D
This!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #29
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
The NBA and NFL are the villains here not the NCAA, if they pro leagues took the age limit off then the whole college players should be paid mentality would die as they have a choice to go to college or go pro.
Yep. Also the pros want another year or two to evaluate talent lessening their risk.
IMO their should be no age limit once a student graduates HS or is 18. Going to college on scholarship is a privilege and shouldn't be mandated.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #30
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
If the NCAA, the 300+ member schools, the NBA, and the 30 pro teams are allowed to band together to control the market, why does everyone blow a gasket when the players want to band together have a say (Northwestern)?

Well first of all the OP's statement that he knows the NCAA and NBA did this in coalition is complete bullshit. The NBA does what it wants, how it wants, when it wants. Same thing with the NFL and their rule. Second of all, the NBA isn't the only professional basketball league out there. Hell it's not even the only one in this country. They are doing what's best for their private business. It's like a company saying that it will only hire people over a certain age with a high school diploma.

As for the unionization thing, unions are poison to everything they touch. They have all but killed manufacturing in this country. Unionization is just the first step to players wanting and eventually getting a salary in addition to their current benefits (which includes cash stipends for food - outside of their meal plans mind you - and a cash stipend for them to use as they see fit). You know what comes from that? Either costs to fans going up or sports disappearing. You either have to be ignorant or naive to not understand why college athlete unionization is horrible.
Bobby Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #31
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Bobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudlyBobby Boucher is crowing loudly

Quote:
The NBA and NFL are the villains here not the NCAA, if they pro leagues took the age limit off then the whole college players should be paid mentality would die as they have a choice to go to college or go pro.
Basketball players have options. They can go to Europe and get paid right away. Brandon Jennings did it. No one is stopping them but themselves.

As for football, their options are more limited, but they don't have an age limit, they have a high school graduation requirement. You have to be at least 3 years removed from your high school graduation. That's why Amobi Okoye was able to play in the NFL at age 19.

Even still, these sports leagues and colleges don't owe these athletes a damn thing. These are contracts that the athletes sign under their own free will. If you don't like the way the organization is run, then set up your own or find something else to do. I don't like my current job so I'm searching like hell to find another one I will like. Despite our government's stupidity (I'll leave that alone for now), we do still have some freedom in this country.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Quote:
My issue is not the qualification issue it is the blatant age discrimination. I thought the nfl said 3 years removed from high school and 20 years old but I was wrong. So I withdraw my objections but I still disagree with the NBA rule which is one year out of high school and 19 years of age. If there was no age attached I wouldn't have an issue. Why should a kid that theoretically graduated at 17 when skipping 1 grade have to wait 3 years to be draft eligible? Why should a kid that graduated high school at 19 because he was held back have to wait a year?
Because it's their league. They owe these kids nothing.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #33
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
To my understanding it is an either-or scenario. So you go to college for a year or if you are 19 when you leave high school, you can enter the draft. It is not that you have to be above 19 no matter when you graduated HS.

I think all sports should go to the baseball rule, that way it would shut up the athletes are being mistreated crowd. It would also help both the pro and college game. The other big change is that the universities need to actually educate these athletes and get them degrees while also educating them on how to be a pro. Student athletes should be given courses on how to handle their finances and manage their marketability. Too many universities are putting athletes in bogus majors and not actually helping the athletes better themselves. Schools need to reconstitute the idea of being a student athlete into college athletics.

Well part of that problem is that a healthy majority of these guys have no business being in these schools to begin with. It's rather hard to teach a guy to balance a checkbook when some of them can't do 8th grade math at an efficient level or even read worth a damn.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #34
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Quote:
come on man. Employee age discrimination was the obvious case I was talking about.

This isn't illegal man. My company won't hire any under 18. I've filled out at least 100 different applications in the last 4 years and I can't remember a single one that didn't ask if I was at least 18 years of age. Hell all of them asked if I had a high school diploma too.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #35
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post

I can't remember if it was the NBA or NFL (pretty sure it was the former) that was considering giving the players the option of returning to school even after they declared for the draft and the draft was over. I know for sure there was a proposal by the NCAA in the works that said if a guy declares and isn't drafted, that he can go back to his school as long as he has eligibility left. Believe another one said that they can go back even if they are drafted, but I wouldn't be in favor of it.

I do think that's a good idea. Hell even if the guy doesn't get to play, at least help him get an education. I'd love to see this rule for football.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #36
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
Basketball players have options. They can go to Europe and get paid right away. Brandon Jennings did it. No one is stopping them but themselves.

As for football, their options are more limited, but they don't have an age limit, they have a high school graduation requirement. You have to be at least 3 years removed from your high school graduation. That's why Amobi Okoye was able to play in the NFL at age 19.

Even still, these sports leagues and colleges don't owe these athletes a damn thing. These are contracts that the athletes sign under their own free will. If you don't like the way the organization is run, then set up your own or find something else to do. I don't like my current job so I'm searching like hell to find another one I will like. Despite our government's stupidity (I'll leave that alone for now), we do still have some freedom in this country.
Players can go to the CFL, AFL, and there are several countries outside of the US and Canada that has pro leagues just because there isn't millions of dollar contracts up for grabs does not mean there aren't options. That's the problem with these kids is they think they are entitled to millions of dollars because they play a sport for fan's entertainment while doctors, teachers, military, police etc actually contribute a service to the betterment of society while making only thousands.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #37
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

I'm all for it. I'm also for raising the height of the goal to say 11-12'. Would also like to see steroid leagues for basketball, football and baseball. Just to see how fast, strong and big people can get.
gamecock88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:12 PM   #38
Bobby Boucher
Banned

Male

Quote:
Players can go to the CFL, AFL, and there are several countries outside of the US and Canada that has pro leagues just because there isn't millions of dollar contracts up for grabs does not mean there aren't options. That's the problem with these kids is they think they are entitled to millions of dollars because they play a sport for fan's entertainment while doctors, teachers, military, police etc actually contribute a service to the betterment of society while making only thousands.
Bingo. People have no problem dropping $100 a pop for a ticket to an NFL game but a $50 visit to the doctor is outrageous.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #39
NJCocky14
Recruit

Male

NJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervousNJCocky14 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
That's because The NFL and NBA are multi billion dollar industries. So yea, they kind of are entitled to the millions of dollars.

And you directly contribute to that entitlement.
NJCocky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #40
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

This is a good thing for the NBA and it helps the NCAA because the quality will go up which improve ratings and make them more money. Ultimately this is just another lawsuit waiting to happen, so we'll see. I heard Mark Cuban on a sports show a few weeks ago talking about this.....so it had to be in the works for awhile.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote