CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Gamecocks1137
b381l
FanofCarolina1
JerseyBird
carolinacocky
CockyInTexas
TheUniversityofSC
2014 Charleston Clas (5865)
Could Pharoh Run the (1099)
Mullen Pulls QB's Sc (1051)
Huge recruiting week (924)
Big George Statue (657)
ESPN's Mike Golic ke (631)
TV?? (535)
No Shave November (425)
Fly_over tomorrow? (405)
Scholarship Lounge B (347)
Awful Shooting Continues
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
USC/South Alabama 11/22/2
CockyTalk Football Pickem
Big George Statue
2014 Charleston Classic *
Fly_over tomorrow?
TV??
River Bluff High School.
COCKYTALK GOLF OUTING

Old 04-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #61
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Chris Smelley never had the arm strength to effectively throw the out pass.
'Bout as strong as Danny Weufuel's.
Chris could play... when his head was straight...G.A. Mangus could have made a decent QB out of him.
If we'd have had G.A. and Shawn Elliott in '06, we'd might have won 10 games and Cory Boyd might have gotten getting Heisman looks. Blake + Syvelle could have been killer.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #62
PalmettoG27
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
PalmettoG27 has hatched from the shell

Can't wait to see these guys in action against other teams!
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #63
SouthCarolinaFan17
Walk On

Male

SouthCarolinaFan17 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Mitch was more consistent and effective than Orth and Noso.

He didn't even play in the 4th which tells me that Coach thinks he's the No. 2 as well.

Agreed. Wasnt his last series where he threw it down the seam. Which led to jody fuller fumbling it. Other then that he had excellent command and looked good in the pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCarolinaFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #64
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Mitch will be the first guy in if something happens to Dylan or we are destroying a team. He's the number 2. I wish Tanner McAvoy had stayed cause he looked pretty good in Wisconsin's spring game. I got a feeling he's going to be good but we'll see. Jury still out on Nosovitch.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #65
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyATO View Post
To me, Mitch looks like he plays the same style as Aaron Murray. I've always had respect for his game. Hopefully, Mitch is a little more clutch.
Even though we beat Aaron Murray 3 out of 4, he did get Georgia to the SEC title game and almost to the national title game. I can't stand Georgia but to me that is pretty clutch. Murray won the games they were supposed to win to get to Atlanta and almost did again last year with Georgia being injury plagued and as much as I love our recent QB's, they can't say the same thing.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #66
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Chris could play... when his head was straight...G.A. Mangus could have made a decent QB out of him.
If we'd have had G.A. and Shawn Elliott in '06, we'd might have won 10 games and Cory Boyd might have gotten getting Heisman looks. Blake + Syvelle could have been killer.
I think the infatuation with the other QB during Smelley's time had the bigger impact. He was never supported fully by the fans or coaches and that kills a players psyche especially at QB.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #67
CockyATO
Flipping Recruits

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
CockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talonsCockyATO has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
Even though we beat Aaron Murray 3 out of 4, he did get Georgia to the SEC title game and almost to the national title game. I can't stand Georgia but to me that is pretty clutch. Murray won the games they were supposed to win to get to Atlanta and almost did again last year with Georgia being injury plagued and as much as I love our recent QB's, they can't say the same thing.
Yeah he was clutch, but I say hopefully Mitch is more clutch since that would mean winning the SEC and more!

Another N00k production
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #68
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I think the infatuation with the other QB during Smelley's time had the bigger impact. He was never supported fully by the fans or coaches and that kills a players psyche especially at QB.
Agree....this is something I think G.A. Mangus could have been a buffer for and is the main reason he was hired. The HBC has not been the same since and he cannot argue with G.A.'s results...Connor and Dylan...almost certain the best recruiting/coaching cycle in Gamecock football history.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #69
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyATO View Post
Yeah he was clutch, but I say hopefully Mitch is more clutch since that would mean winning the SEC and more!
I'm with you on that.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #70
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Aaron Murray benefited from scheduling more than being clutch.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #71
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
Aaron Murray benefited from scheduling more than being clutch.
and Todd Gurly

Clem5-0n Class:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertime86 View Post
I don't see the problem. Ole Glass Knees hasn't done anything of note lately, and he NEVER did anything against CLEMSON!
cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:06 AM   #72
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

A

Last edited by Kazak; 04-20-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #73
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
How many out patterns does Spurrier call though? Not many.

Chris suffered because Coach Reaves was a TERRIBLE coach (at least he could recruit).
He calls them when the defense is cheating inside to take away his hooks, posts, and in patterns. Also, when we have a receiver that can snatch it and a QB with a rocket, he throws a lot of sideline patterns. (Mitchell)

Vanderbilt, under Johnson, exposed Smelley. Their corners baited Smelley to throw the out. Then, they broke on it and picked it. Happened at least twice. After that game, SOS never played him again. I suspect he knew that other teams would watch the Vandy film and undermine the out passing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
That arm strength comparison is so ridiculous I cannot even comment. But, I agree Mangus is a very good QB coach and could have helped Smelley or any of the QBs. I don't think Smelley's issue was an inability to read defenses, which is a credit to him.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #74
cocky2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 100796
cocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
He calls them when the defense is cheating inside to take away his hooks, posts, and in patterns. Also, when we have a receiver that can snatch it and a QB with a rocket, he throws a lot of sideline patterns. (Mitchell)

Vanderbilt, under Johnson, exposed Smelley. Their corners baited Smelley to throw the out. Then, they broke on it and picked it. Happened at least twice. After that game, SOS never played him again. I suspect he knew that other teams would watch the Vandy film and undermine the out passing game.

That arm strength comparison is so ridiculous I cannot even comment. But, I agree Mangus is a very good QB coach and could have helped Smelley or any of the QBs. I don't think Smelley's issue was an inability to read defenses, which is a credit to him.
Smelley was the primary QB the year after Mitchell graduated. He threw more INTs than TDs that year, but it seems like the number of INTs thrown in the whole conference was up that year. Smelley transferred after that year presumably because the writing was on the wall about Garcia getting the job the next season.
cocky2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #75
wincocks84
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

I think many of Smelley's woes came from a weak oline and his inability to scramble. He had some good games here and there. Probably would have excelled at an ACC school. We nearly beat the mighty LSU in DV with him.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #76
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky2007 View Post
Smelley was the primary QB the year after Mitchell graduated. He threw more INTs than TDs that year, but it seems like the number of INTs thrown in the whole conference was up that year. Smelley transferred after that year presumably because the writing was on the wall about Garcia getting the job the next season.
That was the year Beecher came out as the opening QB and the Garcia hype machine took full effect. Spurrier began rotating the two and neither one really benefited from the shuffle. He announced he was transferring after the bowl game when Spurrier said he was bringing in Mamgus to be Garcia's babysitter which didn't really work out.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #77
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I think many of Smelley's woes came from a weak oline and his inability to scramble. He had some good games here and there. Probably would have excelled at an ACC school. We nearly beat the mighty LSU in DV with him.
Exactly. I was in Chapel Hill when we played UNC....the first half, he was great and we scored 3 TD's......second half, they brought pressure and he was lost. I think the final score was 21-16.

That's also the game where UNC students were throwing glass mini bottles into our section.
I showed the police and they refused to do anything about it.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #78
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
Did you see Murray against Clemson last year? He really stunk it out, but most of the year he was good until he got hurt. Clemson stacked the box and used a lot of pressure, and Murray couldn't hit an open receiver. Connor's worst game last year was likely Tennessee, but that one was lost on a couple of turnovers (not his), and two defensive breakdowns on key plays. Georgia, was much worse without Murray than we were without Connor, but I think Shaw was at least as good under pressure.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #79
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 113804578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
That was the year Beecher came out as the opening QB and the Garcia hype machine took full effect. Spurrier began rotating the two and neither one really benefited from the shuffle. He announced he was transferring after the bowl game when Spurrier said he was bringing in Mamgus to be Garcia's babysitter which didn't really work out.
I'm not really a Garcia guy but let's be honest.

He would've never got as far as he did without Mangus babysitting him.

I mean the kid qb'd us to beating #1 Bama on game day! I just try to look for the positives with him now that it's history.

As for Mitch I have high hopes for him I just hope it can wait one more year. It would be great to see Dylan rise to the challenge as a senior.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #80
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
I'm not really a Garcia guy but let's be honest.

He would've never got as far as he did without Mangus babysitting him.

I mean the kid qb'd us to beating #1 Bama on game day! I just try to look for the positives with him now that it's history.

As for Mitch I have high hopes for him I just hope it can wait one more year. It would be great to see Dylan rise to the challenge as a senior.
I'm not saying Mangus didn't make a positive impact on Garcia's play. I was more referring to the fact that the Garcia era ended the way it was going to regardless.