CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
M.C.
75CarolinaFan
An Aggies View of th (1114)
My predictions for 2 (1032)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (771)
Tennessee (741)
Elcid99 (732)
Question on Student (501)
Erin Murray's brothe (465)
Clowney in Practice (442)
SEC Recruiting Advan (416)
Camp scheduled relea (355)
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Question on Student Secti
FIFA 14 on PS3
Tennessee
Elcid99
An Aggies View of the Mat
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Rokevious Watkins cut fro
My predictions for 2014
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 04-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #21
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material
Default Re: Athlon Ranks the SEC's QBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Not talking about just our game. He put up crazy rushing numbers and will only improve in Mullen's O this year. He'll put up the best QB numbers in the conference this year besides Marshall in that system.
So you're saying he'll be the best QB this season, behind Marshall?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #22
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Y'all need to hit up YouTube and watch Auburn's A-day game footage. It took him a couple plays to settle down, but you can tell he's improved by leaps and bounds over the offseason. Also helps he'll have one of the deeper WR corps in the SEC doesn't hurt.
: rotfl:

Are you seriously excited after a spring game?

Dawn Staley caught a TD in a spring game, what does that tell you.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #23
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Quite a drop off in QB talent from 2013 to 2014. I'd say it's the right time to have a young secondary!

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #24
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
So you're saying he'll be the best QB this season, behind Marshall?
Yes, easily. And he's a better passer than Marshall. He would probably put up even better numbers than Marshall in that Offense.

Coker will be really solid too. And Thompson will put up solid passing numbers as well. Coker and Thompson will both benefit from really good OLs and running games.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post

Are you seriously excited after a spring game?

Dawn Staley caught a TD in a spring game, what does that tell you.
That SC doesn't take their spring game seriously?

Marshall wasn't at Auburn for last year's spring game. Give him a year in Malzahn's system and his improvements passing, watch out.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 25308312
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Putting Coker in front of Thompson is stupid.
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
That SC doesn't take their spring game seriously?

Marshall wasn't at Auburn for last year's spring game. Give him a year in Malzahn's system and his improvements passing, watch out.

LOL, unless your clem5on with live action coming at the QB, the game is setup for your O to do well.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #28
JoshCallahan
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoshCallahan has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latt7more View Post
I watched him throw 3 ints against us and zero touchdowns. Not sure where he "shredded" anybody.

I remember watching this game last season. My cousin and her husband live in Starkville and he is an MSU grad...she's a Gamecock. I was texting back and forth with him and even he admitted that Tyler Russell needed to play more, despite the fact he is awful.

We might have lost that game if anyone other than Prescott plays that day. His turnovers were pitiful and seriously cost MSU any chance of winning. I don't care how much you run, turnovers are huge. The fact Shaw had 1 interception this season has a lot to do why he is going to be remembered as the greatest QB ever at SC. Not because the statistic, but because we won so many games as a result of him protecting the football. In fact, it's no coincidence that one of the games we lost he had a key fumble which gave UGA some separation.

Prescott, not only isn't in the Top 4, he seriously might just be the worst QB in the SEC. He can't throw a lick and he's a decent runner. He doesn't protect the football. This list seems to have ranked the QB's giving a huge edge to QB's who have the most experience. The same goes for Bo Wallace. For a guy ranked #2 on a list, he sure did have to watch the backup come in drive after drive a lot to try to score some points.

Thompson's #'s are pretty solid. Even against Mizzou his #'s weren't terrible. The issue with him is will he be able to will this team to wins like Shaw. Thompson didn't step up last season and get that done when given the chance (UT, Mizzou). But he has in the past. I'm taking him over most of those top ranked QBs as far as this list goes.

What sticks out the most to me is how unlucky Shaw was to play in the time he did. He would be All-SEC without a doubt heading into this season. Probably 1st team. Yet he wasn't even an honorable mention which was a huge slap in the face at the end of the season...especially with the season he had. It shows the disrespect he and SC gets by some publications. I believe that's the case with this article as well...as some QB's are ranked on experience, but Coker is ranked ahead of Thompson, with no experience. Thompson has outperformed most of the QB's on this list, easily in the time he's had to play. Even with Shaw, guys like McCarron, Murray, and Maziel didn't bother me. But a guy like Mettenberger being touted as a better college QB is just ridiculous. Shaw had a MUCH BETTER career than he did...but he played at LSU and for the most part of that was a pretty lousy QB in my opinion.
JoshCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #29
PageUSC

Male

PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Dude Auburn went to the National championship game last year. Anybody that watched that O and knows football knows that they are legit! Spring game or no that is one of the top 5 offenses in the Nation!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #30
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Dude Auburn went to the National championship game last year. Anybody that watched that O and knows football knows that they are legit! Spring game or no that is one of the top 5 offenses in the Nation!
Dude not saying they are not good, but to say a player is leaps and bounds better due to how they did in a spring game is a joke.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #31
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Dude not saying they are not good, but to say a player is leaps and bounds better due to how they did in a spring game is a joke.
I'm saying he's leaps and bounds better due to the intense practice and workouts after the season he undertook. It just showed during the A-Day game how much he'd improved.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #32
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
I'm saying he's leaps and bounds better due to the intense practice and workouts after the season he undertook. It just showed during the A-Day game how much he'd improved.
do it against people trying to put you in the ground and I will believe it. Doing it knowing you are not going to get hit is another thing. We have all seen/heard of practice heros.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #33
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
do it against people trying to put you in the ground and I will believe it. Doing it knowing you are not going to get hit is another thing. We have all seen/heard of practice heros.
Well, seeing how he has an SEC title I'd say he's a bit more than a "practice hero".
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #34
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Not sure why the Bama QB is ahead of DT when he has yet to even play...oh yeah he plays for Bama. Can't argue with the top 4. Dak is a better overall QB than Marshall but it's Marshall's offense that makes him so good.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #35
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Well, seeing how he has an SEC title I'd say he's a bit more than a "practice hero".
I know you are an Aubrun fan, but I never said he wasn't good. I said a spring game does not really tell if a player has improved by "leaps and Bounds".
Old 04-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #36
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Dak couldn't pass worth anything.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #37
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Jeff Driskel is the real sleeper on this list. Mark my words. Injured early and he would've progressed as the season went along. He will have a big season getting away from that pro style offense Florida had no business running.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #38
Thenardier
Banned

Male

If he stays healthy.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #39
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
Kind of surprised Marshall is ranked that high. I never tabbed him as a great QB. He missed several wide open throws in the National Championship game that would have been touchdowns.

He's a great athlete and is perfect for that system they run...however as far as a true QB, that ranking surprises me.
As an sec qb goes, he's awesome with the combined skill set. As far as a prototypical drop back passer who scans the field and makes plays with his arm, he is not. That said, I'd take him in a second.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #40
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
Whatever. But if you watch that offense when it is clicking it is pretty special. They will be competing for a championship again yhis year most likely. Marshall is one hell of a player in that Offense.

I don't put a lot of stock into Spring games either but if you watched some of it and know anything about football you can tell that their Offense is going to be electric again this year.