CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5429)
looks like we have 2 (1977)
Decommitment from Te (914)
Beat Miami (801)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (627)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (614)
Cleveland Browns Hea (609)
Garcia and Clemsux T (584)
Need a dog kennel (230)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (159)
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Previewing Clemson
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #21
B-G
2nd Team All-SEC
 
B-G's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wall Street
Posts: 2,867
CockyCash: 500
B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

What's wrong with Penny Loafers?

Last edited by B-G; 04-22-2014 at 11:23 AM.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
robgusc76
1st Team All-American
 
robgusc76's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia
Posts: 13,938
CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

If these schools like UNC, Stanford, and even Clemson were as strict on their academic standards as they said they were, they would never be competitive. Thats why whenever a school like Clemson brags about "academic standard" i laugh. I work in division II, and it even happens at this level.

You expect me to believe that all 85 players on a division I football team were held to the same standard as a normal Clemson student? PLEASE. Its absolutely absurd for people to think that this doesn't happen at their school. Even the academic powerhouse ACC schools are guilty. Id be willing to put money on the fact that the only time Sammy Watkins and Tajh Boyd touched a keyboard while at Clemson was to type a Facebook message and not a paper. Same goes for Clowney at USC.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #23
ReadR00ster
Banned
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 9,864
CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
Strange...people here are roasting UNC for it, I promise USC has student-athletes that wouldn't make it in college either

so does UGA, LSU, CCU...all colleges do it.
True but, you still need proof. Just like so many things, if you don't get caught you aren't doing anything wrong and UNC got caught. Also it bothers me more that schools like UNC who's main recruiting slant is "our academics our so great" are doing this.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
OldPat
Blue Chip
 
OldPat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sc
Posts: 932
CockyCash: 1000000500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a bit weary of seeing people dust off & trot out the 'Everyone does it' excuse. Think it's time we began to hold both people and institutions more accountable for their actions-starting with the more egregious ones.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #25
ReadR00ster
Banned
 
ReadR00ster's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 9,864
CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a bit weary of seeing people dust off & trot out the 'Everyone does it' excuse. Think it's time we began to hold both people and institutions more accountable for their actions-starting with the more egregious ones.
And you can only do that if you catch them in the act. Make an example out of UNC to try to scare schools into doing the right thing. That is what I say. "because everyone is doing it" is not a reason to go EASY on UNC, it's a reason to come down hard on them.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #26
OldPat
Blue Chip
 
OldPat's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sc
Posts: 932
CockyCash: 1000000500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
And you can only do that if you catch them in the act. Make an example out of UNC to try to scare schools into doing the right thing. That is what I say. "because everyone is doing it" is not a reason to go EASY on UNC, it's a reason to come down hard on them.
Exactly. The NCAA should at least treat them the same as they treat the have-nots.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
MWard
1st Team All-SEC
 
MWard's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 4,520
CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post

You expect me to believe that all 85 players on a division I football team were held to the same standard as a normal Clemson student? PLEASE. Its absolutely absurd for people to think that this doesn't happen at their school. Even the academic powerhouse ACC schools are guilty. Id be willing to put money on the fact that the only time Sammy Watkins and Tajh Boyd touched a keyboard while at Clemson was to type a Facebook message and not a paper. Same goes for Clowney at USC.
I don't know anything specifically about Clowney's academics at USC, but I do have 1st hand knowledge of how Spurrier's department handles the academics for athletes.

I used to work at the Astronomy Center at USC both during the Holtz and Spurrier years. We would have a solid amount of football players take the Astronomy 111 or 211 courses b/c they were self paced and you could come to a proctored lab to study, take tests or participate in labs around your schedule. Some students/athletes could finish all the work and get an "A" in the first 6 weeks of the semester, others would wait until the last month in the semester, and everything in between.

The topic of astronomy wasn't easy, but it also wasn't rocket science either. You had to have a very basic understanding of physics, be able read at least at a HS level, and you had to be able to successfully plan your time in order to study, take proctored tests, and go to labs all on your own time and discretion.

The BIG thing that changed from the Holtz to the Spurrier tenure is that football players were met outside the lab room doors by athletic department personnel, who made sure they were showing up to the labs. They had to do 6 labs/units during the semester, but each labs was offered 40+ times over the semester, so they could choose when to go whenever it fit their schedule. I never had a problem with the Holtz players missing labs, so I never thought anything of it, but when Spurrier got there and he had the personnel at the doors, I realized that he took them going to class/labs very seriously.
__________________
"to be honest with you, if you just graded it out, we won in every phase of the game,” Swinney said. “We lost on the scoreboard."
LOLOLOLOLOL

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #28
robgusc76
1st Team All-American
 
robgusc76's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia
Posts: 13,938
CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I don't know anything specifically about Clowney's academics at USC, but I do have 1st hand knowledge of how Spurrier's department handles the academics for athletes.

I used to work at the Astronomy Center at USC both during the Holtz and Spurrier years. We would have a solid amount of football players take the Astronomy 111 or 211 courses b/c they were self paced and you could come to a proctored lab to study, take tests or participate in labs around your schedule. Some students/athletes could finish all the work and get an "A" in the first 6 weeks of the semester, others would wait until the last month in the semester, and everything in between.

The topic of astronomy wasn't easy, but it also wasn't rocket science either. You had to have a very basic understanding of physics, be able read at least at a HS level, and you had to be able to successfully plan your time in order to study, take proctored tests, and go to labs all on your own time and discretion.

The BIG thing that changed from the Holtz to the Spurrier tenure is that football players were met outside the lab room doors by athletic department personnel, who made sure they were showing up to the labs. They had to do 6 labs/units during the semester, but each labs was offered 40+ times over the semester, so they could choose when to go whenever it fit their schedule. I never had a problem with the Holtz players missing labs, so I never thought anything of it, but when Spurrier got there and he had the personnel at the doors, I realized that he took them going to class/labs very seriously.
Good to know, actually.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #29
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N
 
Acockolypse Now's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 15,001
CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

I took self paced Astronomy.

Failed it.
__________________
Always remember... stay Feisty.
Acockolypse Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #30
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count
 
kick_ball's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Dagobah System
Posts: 2,622
CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material
Default Re: Death threats and denial for woman who showed college athletes struggle to read

i would also like to point out (just like in real life/regular students) some athletes do take their education seriously, go to class, do the work etc.. and some dont .. you have this across all sports at all schools.... also people need to remember sports like baseball, basketball, softball and some Olympic sports have much more demanding travel schedule than football does... those athletes miss alot more classes and have to keep up with their work... at some point these athletes need to take responsibility for their own education
__________________
kick_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development