CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Latti
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Spurrier was Embaras (3596)
More David Williams (3248)
ECU is a good team (3038)
Is it possible for o (2505)
Spurrier not happy s (2419)
Gameday in Columbia (1708)
Polls (1412)
Curse of the Chicken (1271)
Tonight's ugly win w (1231)
Our wide receivers w (1041)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Gameday Sign Ideas
Polls
Spurrier not happy so why
Gameday in Columbia
Tonight's ugly win was in
ECU
D line pressure
Is it possible for our Sp
Hardest Schedule

Old 04-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Sunday college football games

On the way home today, they were talking about how on the radio that the SECN will experiment with Sunday night games to compete with nfl games. Thoughts on this?
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit
Default Re: Sunday college football games

Don't think they will compete.

Especially if against larger markets.

Now it was competing against teams like Tampa Bay, Carolina or Jacksonville (one of their Sunday night games). Yea they could compete.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

^Yeah. I think the college games would get crushed, because I don't remember the NFL featuring a whole lot of bad match-ups on Sunday night. The Sunday night game typically features teams (or at least one, anyway) that a whole lot of people want to see.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

On the one hand I like it in case the Sunday NFL game is weak. On the other hand, I would hate to be in a situation where the Gamecocks and Saints were playing at the same time.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Bad bad bad idea.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyle41386 View Post
^Yeah. I think the college games would get crushed, because I don't remember the NFL featuring a whole lot of bad match-ups on Sunday night. The Sunday night game typically features teams (or at least one, anyway) that a whole lot of people want to see.
The Sunday games are flexed too.

Unlike Monday night where the game is set in stone, the Sunday night game can change if it's a bad matchup. (Which the league has done in the past)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9980800
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material

Horrible idea! Sunday night is the game of the week for the NFL. I really hope they aren't that stupid.
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Horrible idea. I could see Friday night games coming way before Sunday night games.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
CockyInGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Why the hell would anyone even think it's necessary to compete against the NFL?
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

If a premiere SEC matchup were featured on a Sunday night it would destroy a mid-tier NFL game.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I don't like this idea. I don't care if it could do better or not against the NFL game, I just don't see how doing this makes sense. What do they gain from this move?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I don't like this idea. I don't care if it could do better or not against the NFL game, I just don't see how doing this makes sense. What do they gain from this move?
not competing against any other college games?
A. Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

it would take alabama vs auburn or Lsu vs alabama

to even have a chance at competing

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
it would take alabama vs auburn or Lsu vs alabama

to even have a chance at competing
gi

Last edited by GH; 04-22-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
not competing against any other college games?
Yet now you'll compete against the NFL. Personally, I just hate late night Sunday games since I have to get up at 5am for work.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Yet now you'll compete against the NFL. Personally, I just hate late night Sunday games since I have to get up at 5am for work.
its all about which markets you're trying to reach...

Example...NY Giants v. Minnesota Vikings was NEVER going to be a college market, regardless of when the game is played...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
If a premiere SEC matchup were featured on a Sunday night it would destroy a mid-tier NFL game.

Difficult to determine without actually going ahead with it, but CBS said they averaged 18MM viewers for it's games, while NBC averaged 21.7MM viewers for it's games. (NFL) That's average.

IN 2013, CBS 3 top SEC games had 11.9, 13.7, 13.8 MM viewers. That's top 3.

Personally, I think that folks in the west, Midwest and NE will watch a mid level NFL game before a top level SEC game, but that is nothing more than speculation on my part.

Seems we continue to make the term "Student Athlete" more and more of a joke with each passing year, though.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/08/nfl-tv...-fox-playoffs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_on_CBS#TV_Ratings

Hate to use wiki as a source, but....
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #18
A. Pilgrim
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Difficult to determine without actually going ahead with it, but CBS said they averaged 18MM viewers for it's games, while NBC averaged 21.7MM viewers for it's games. (NFL) That's average.

IN 2013, CBS 3 top SEC games had 11.9, 13.7, 13.8 MM viewers. That's top 3.

Personally, I think that folks in the west, Midwest and NE will watch a mid level NFL game before a top level SEC game, but that is nothing more than speculation on my part.

Seems we continue to make the term "Student Athlete" more and more of a joke with each passing year, though.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/08/nfl-tv...-fox-playoffs/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_on_CBS#TV_Ratings

Hate to use wiki as a source, but....
my point was- i'm not convinced a majority of those viewers of a northern NFL matchup would watch an SEC matchup regardless

so, that's what I meant was it being all about markets...if you're not competing for the same market and all.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 225747
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Don't see it happening. ESPN is dependent on staying in the NFL 's good graces. It was announced today that ESPN will start televising a wild card playoff game.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #20
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pilgrim View Post
my point was- i'm not convinced a majority of those viewers of a northern NFL matchup would watch an SEC matchup regardless

so, that's what I meant was it being all about markets...if you're not competing for the same market and all.

Ok. I wasn't replying to your post which is why I quoted someone else and replied to them about their point.