CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
cockybreeyan
Freshman ND WR " (717)
Call of Duty: Advanc (495)
Good Riddance to bad (410)
Keeping tailgate foo (295)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (260)
An A to Z of Noah We (177)
The Comeback & T (146)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (70)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (68)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (67)
Bashing Players, coaches,
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Rest of the season predic

View Poll Results: Which song do you enjoy more when it comes to Gamecock Football
2001 theme 143 84.62%
Sandstorm 26 15.38%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #21
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly
Default Re: 2001 vs Sandstorm

I love 2001! But we have to face it , we are now known as much for Sandstorm making our stadium one of, If not the toughest place to play for opponents. Times change. God knows our football program and traditions have. 2001 is the best entry , but nothing gets WB jumping like Sandstorm! I vote Sandstorm.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #22
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

I thought Sandstorm was a great thing when it first started being played in the stadium, but it is so overused (by us each game) that I actually dislike it. Three or four times per game might be okay, but it seems like it is played about 50 times.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #23
palmettosc
hypnotoad

Male

CockyCash: 1200
palmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot materialpalmettosc is USC mascot material

I'm just going to say it. I hate the song Sandstorm. It grates my ears every time they play it. If it works for the players, great, but I can't stand the damn thing. 2001 all the way.
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #24
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK View Post
I love 2001! But we have to face it , we are now known as much for Sandstorm making our stadium one of, If not the toughest place to play for opponents. Times change. God knows our football program and traditions have. 2001 is the best entry , but nothing gets WB jumping like Sandstorm! I vote Sandstorm.
Not taking offense to your response, or your opinion at all, but Sandstorm
is not what makes The Cockpit one of the toughest places to play in the
country right now. We were playing Sandstorm in WB since 2008, and it
wasn't until 2010 that we started our current "era" of winning at the level
we have since winning the Eastern Conf. We didn't start our current home
win streak of 18 games until after the loss to Arkansas in 2011 (three years
after we started using Sandstorm to pump up the crowd. ... Our success
has come from our coaching staff's slow process of getting top quality players
from winning programs in HS, and being able (finally) to redshirt a large
group of the players with potential. It has paid off for us the last three/four
seasons. Sandstorm is just USC's version of "Zombie Nation" or whatever
else other teams use to kick it up with the fans. .. I think winning has bred
the energy we put out when Sandstorm is fired up.... not Sandstorm firing
up the energy of the players and game atmosphere when it's played which leads
to wins.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #25
Steeler7588
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Steeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudly

I voted for 2001.

I love Sandstorm, but it's played too much. Back when they first started using it, it was infrequent and each playing carried a lot of weight. I've been back for a few games since graduation and heard it played after making field goals. WHY?! Play it once to start the game and after touchdowns. That should be it.

Great songs like 'Thunderstruck' by AC/DC started getting ignored in favor of Sandstorm towards the end of my 4 years (Class of 2010). Thunderstruck gets people amped up. Mix it up some!

Steelers / Carolina Gamecocks / Penguins / Arsenal / Pitt Panthers / Bulls / Pirates
Steeler7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

I like sandstorm but i think as much as they play it .. they are going to kill it ... def need to back off and play it only at crucial moments.. not after every score ... 2001 is what gives me chills
Old 04-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #27
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
I like sandstorm but i think as much as they play it .. they are going to kill it ... def need to back off and play it only at crucial moments.. not after every score ... 2001 is what gives me chills
Totally agree... I would go one step farther and say don't even play it for certain games in which we are winning by a lot or don't matter (Coastal Carolina last year)...

And think 2 times a game or 3 max if its a big game and close
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #28
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
I agree. Other stadiums that have a song that makes them famous such as Zombie at Penn State, Jump Around at Wisconsin, etc...have tons of build up and when they finally play the song everyone goes nuts. I agree with playing it right before kickoff but after that save it for crucial times.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

The tradition is 2001for me but it seems to me they serve two distinctive functions. I know spare did not ask this way but how do not have both? Would be like a one legged rooster.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #30
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

I wonder who I need to contact to voice my opinion of when Sandstorm should be played. I do not want to bug Ray Tanner with such a small issue but it would be great if they cut down on the number of times Sandstorm is played during a game.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #31
uscjeremynca
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 575
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

2001. No contest. As an alumni who has lived on the west coast for a while now, I haven't had a lot of exposure to Sandstorm.

However, the exciting thing about 2001 is how it gradually builds to a climatic ending and the entrance. Sandstorm can't beat that.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #32
scargamecocks87
4-Star

Male

scargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudlyscargamecocks87 is crowing loudly

I'm sorry and I know II'm not the only one feeling this way but we need to bring back thunderstruck for kickoff. Sandstorm should only be played on defense. That's how is started.
scargamecocks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
The tradition is 2001for me but it seems to me they serve two distinctive functions. I know spare did not ask this way but how do not have both? Would be like a one legged rooster.
Completely agree two separate functions. Sandstorm in the last few years has become diluted. When it first started they played it less and when they did play it it was longer and I swear the arrangement is a little different. I still love it but I am 2001 all the way because it's about to be game time. Get chills everytime
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #34
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargamecocks87 View Post
I'm sorry and I know II'm not the only one feeling this way but we need to bring back thunderstruck for kickoff. Sandstorm should only be played on defense. That's how is started.
I agree with this. It would make Sandstorm not get old and tired if they went back to using Thunderstruck for kickoffs and other stuff. Let Sandstorm and the Rooster crow be the Defensive rallying calls.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #35
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #36
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

I like both, but 2001 is far superior and it has been part of our identity through both the good times and the bad. To be honest I think the two are incomparable since they are used for two entirely different purposes. A better comparison would be Louie-Louie versus Sandstorm for those old enough to have been around for those days.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
HUGEGARNETCOCK
4EVER CROWING!

Male

CockyCash: 490
HUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudlyHUGEGARNETCOCK is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Not taking offense to your response, or your opinion at all, but Sandstorm
is not what makes The Cockpit one of the toughest places to play in the
country right now. We were playing Sandstorm in WB since 2008, and it
wasn't until 2010 that we started our current "era" of winning at the level
we have since winning the Eastern Conf. We didn't start our current home
win streak of 18 games until after the loss to Arkansas in 2011 (three years
after we started using Sandstorm to pump up the crowd. ... Our success
has come from our coaching staff's slow process of getting top quality players
from winning programs in HS, and being able (finally) to redshirt a large
group of the players with potential. It has paid off for us the last three/four
seasons. Sandstorm is just USC's version of "Zombie Nation" or whatever
else other teams use to kick it up with the fans. .. I think winning has bred
the energy we put out when Sandstorm is fired up.... not Sandstorm firing
up the energy of the players and game atmosphere when it's played which leads
to wins.
Georgia will beg to differ with you seeing as how they tried to get us to not be able to play it. Hypnotizing and all. I have going to games for 35 years and I am sorry 2001 is great but it only lasts to kickoff. And people can only yell Game---- Cocks so much . Have of the stadium seems to not even know any of what else the band plays soooo. SANDSTORM it is! Give me a white rag and I'll jump up and down until I am not able to!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #38
COCKYWOOD
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #39
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

It's remarkable that so many people share the opinion that Sandstorm is played too many times during the span of a game, but the powers that be just don't seem to get it. Either that or they've decided that if playing Rocky Top 17,000 times per game at UT works for them then we can do the same with Sandstorm.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #40
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Yeah whatever happened to the Georgia fans who claimed that Sandstorm was subliminal messages and mind control?

That was... awesome
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote